LegacyGT.com

Makeshift I/C sprayer!

NOTE: My GT is a sedan, not a wagon. So all outback/legacy wagons will have 2 motors. I'm not sure what the resevoir tanks look like!!!

Alright guys here's the deal... I figured that wiring up a switch to the wires that run to the washer pump would be the best deal. Make sure you wire in a relay of some sort. I didn't, and blew the fuse for the wipers...

WIRING:

To access the area, you need to take off the battery, and/or jack up the car and remove 3 clips and hold back the inner drivers side fender. From under the car You'll see the pump all the way on the side behind a plastic cover. Pop off the cover, and you'll see the connection. There's the connector attached to the pump, and there's a seperate connector that's taped up(sedan doesn't have a rear wiper). All I did was splice into the wires, tape them back up, and ran them too a switch I mounted behind the fuse panel in the driver's compartment above the hood. I routed the wires through the fender, and through the drivers side door and just ran it down to the fuse box area.

WASHER HOSE/SPRAYER:

Well for the sprayer all you need is a male/male connector and some extra 1/8" hosing. All I did was take the engine cover off, and remove one of the OEM spray nozzles. If you have the hood popped you'll see that the hose up on the drivers side right by the hinge. I disconnected it there, used the male/male connector and routed about a foot and a half of hose to the sprayer. I mounted the sprayer directly on top of the intake manifold. Right smack in the center where it splits 4 ways. I used electrical tape just as a temporary means. It sprays perfectly on the intercooler. I let the car run for 10 min so it was hot and the intercooler was heatsoaked, and then sprayed a couple of times and took off. There wasn't any lag/sluggish feel. It took off as if it were cold. I'd say it works. I'm curious to see if it works at the strip and lowers my time. We'll find out.

NOTICE: also, I had to remove the engine cover because on the bottom of the hood around the scoop is bracing that seals the flow of air from the hoodscoop to the intercooler. I checked an STi, and the nozzels is just inserted in a hole and uses a snap ring design to stay there. So for 5 bucks you can get one and drill in the underside of the engine cover and just mount it there. It'll be stealthy and functional. Other than that have fun...I disconnected mine because I blew the fuse for the wipers and didn't have enough time to get relays and fuses to do it right...I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure exactly what we'll need....CHIME IN IF YOU KNOW!!!...Total cost with the STi sprayer is less than $10 bucks. Switch, fuses, and sti sprayer.

NOTE: My GT is a sedan, not a wagon. So all outback/legacy wagons will have 2 motors. I'm not sure what the resevoir tanks look like!!!

Alright guys here's the deal... I figured that wiring up a switch to the wires that run to the washer pump would be the best deal. Make sure you wire in a relay of some sort. I didn't, and blew the fuse for the wipers...

WIRING:

To access the area, you need to take off the battery, and/or jack up the car and remove 3 clips and hold back the inner drivers side fender. From under the car You'll see the pump all the way on the side behind a plastic cover. Pop off the cover, and you'll see the connection. There's the connector attached to the pump, and there's a seperate connector that's taped up(sedan doesn't have a rear wiper). All I did was splice into the wires, tape them back up, and ran them too a switch I mounted behind the fuse panel in the driver's compartment above the hood. I routed the wires through the fender, and through the drivers side door and just ran it down to the fuse box area.

WASHER HOSE/SPRAYER:

Well for the sprayer all you need is a male/male connector and some extra 1/8" hosing. All I did was take the engine cover off, and remove one of the OEM spray nozzles. If you have the hood popped you'll see that the hose up on the drivers side right by the hinge. I disconnected it there, used the male/male connector and routed about a foot and a half of hose to the sprayer. I mounted the sprayer directly on top of the intake manifold. Right smack in the center where it splits 4 ways. I used electrical tape just as a temporary means. It sprays perfectly on the intercooler. I let the car run for 10 min so it was hot and the intercooler was heatsoaked, and then sprayed a couple of times and took off. There wasn't any lag/sluggish feel. It took off as if it were cold. I'd say it works. I'm curious to see if it works at the strip and lowers my time. We'll find out.

NOTICE: also, I had to remove the engine cover because on the bottom of the hood around the scoop is bracing that seals the flow of air from the hoodscoop to the intercooler. I checked an STi, and the nozzels is just inserted in a hole and uses a snap ring design to stay there. So for 5 bucks you can get one and drill in the underside of the engine cover and just mount it there. It'll be stealthy and functional. Other than that have fun...I disconnected mine because I blew the fuse for the wipers and didn't have enough time to get relays and fuses to do it right...I'm not an electrician so I'm not sure exactly what we'll need....CHIME IN IF YOU KNOW!!!...Total cost with the STi sprayer is less than $10 bucks. Switch, fuses, and sti sprayer.

Sounds like fun.

But, I'm missing something - what's the switch for? Is it to toggle between spraying the IC and spraying the windshield (as I would want to have)?

If so, how did you get it to switch? Wouldn't that be a mechanical thing? Or are you saying your sedan has a separate pump for the rears (just like the wagon), but not connected, and you used that?

I have a wagon, so both pumps are used...

HV

haha...I don't have any pics....I was getting pissed and totally forgot.

There is only ONE pump for the sedan's. There are 2 connectors however.

I wired up the switch "hot" so when i flipped the switch it would run the pump and then the hose was at the intercooler. I had to reroute the hose from where it normally is. All the switch does is turn the pump on and off.

haha...I don't have any pics....I was getting pissed and totally forgot.

I wired up the switch "hot" so when i flipped the switch it would run the pump and then the hose was at the intercooler. I had to reroute the hose from where it normally is. All the switch does is turn the pump on and off.

Ah. So, no love for the windshield.. :-)

HV

It's going to be HARD to mount a bottle in the engine bay that will not only fit, but stay somewhat cool and hold any decent amount of water. Your best be would be to mount one in the trunk and route it like the STi's...

Guest *Jedimaster*
It's going to be HARD to mount a bottle in the engine bay that will not only fit, but stay somewhat cool and hold any decent amount of water. Your best be would be to mount one in the trunk and route it like the STi's...

Your best bet is to remove the intake silencer and keep the bottle down there- you'll even have cool air coming in to keep the water from heating much.

Guest JessterCPA
Your best bet is to remove the intake silencer and keep the bottle down there- you'll even have cool air coming in to keep the water from heating much.

Thats the BEST idea I have heard yet. Can probably even fab up an aluminum heat sink if you tried hard enough.

My buddy has water injection on his supercharged Tacoma. He used a fuel tank from a Kawasaki Jet ski as the water tank. Works real well & fits nicely in the engine bay. We could use the same idea for a I/C spray tank. I will get some more info from him on this & post it.

Jesse

Guest *Jedimaster*
Use teh silencer itself as a reservoir!

That would work- good thinking- glad I saved mine!

I went to the junk yard today and searched for parts. I grabbed a few pumps, but couldn't find a tank that would work. When I got back i pulled out my airbox again to see how much space really is down there....there's tons. The only problem is geting a filler tube up to the surface.

My other idea was to get a 2 way slenoid valve and hook it up to the windshield washer line. When you pull the washer button it squirts like normal. Then when you press your new IC sprayer button it switches the solenoid over and squirts out on the IC. Anyone know of such a valve? This would be for wagons. All you sedan people can just a put a second pump on the tank and use that.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 8 months later...

The solenoid valve your looking for is common on a lot of 80's GM cars as a transmission modulator valve. its got three prongs, one is used to go to the transmission, one is connected to vaccum, the other is to atmosphere. it's normally to vaccum (or atmosphere) but when you energize it it switches.

Forget the specific applications but there are a lot of things on Watercooling i'm sure you could reference.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Ahh, thanks! I'd been searching for this little gem of information forever... I have the second pump, but couldn't find a connector at any store or dealer. On WRX forums I've read that people actually found the second pump wires in the cabin and didn't have to run their own wire from the 2nd connector, were you able to find that?

To get to the washer pumps, is it simply a matter of removing part of the wheel well lining?

Archived