LegacyGT.com

2006 Hyundai Sonata

Wow, did you guys see the back end of this car?

It is a complete and utter RIP OFF of the Honda Accord.

I mean, i know many manufacturers "emulate" other cars styling,

but this is so closely a rip off, I would advise Honda to

sue Hyundai for it. The taillights look like the Koreans couldn't

design them for themselves so they just ordered a set from

the local Honda dealership and placed them on their car.

I just don't like blatent rip offs, especially from "wannabe"

companies from the established leaders.

Rant over.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2006/hyundai/sonata/100462340/photos.html?tid=edmunds.f.review.leftsidenav..2.Hyundai*

Actually, nearly the whole car is a rip off of the Accord.

Sad.

Nice, Clean look ala Acura TSX / Accord. More Power. Built in US. Larger interior volume than Accord or Camry (according to Hyundai's ads).

I predict it will continue Hyundai's sales climb in a big way.

Hyundai has come a long way fast. Im keeping my car BUT im sure a 265 hp sedan like this is going to interest a lot of people.They have excellent realiability and price wise come in a few thousand less than the competition along with lots of content. They seem to be becomining a contender .

IMHO, The Sonata is what the Accord should have looked like in the first place.

Honda should be ashamed that Hyundai was able to design a better-looking vehicle than they did :lol:

It's MUCH easier to copy and "improve" on the original, than it is to BE original.

It's MUCH easier to copy and "improve" on the original, than it is to BE original.

+1 on that.

However, i did read that Hyundai was starting to look at making some sort of performance car. Didn't really give any specifics, but they realize they are lacking there. It should be interesting. Still not my cup of tea, but they certainly have made leaps and bounds in the last few years, however they managed to do it.

Yea I hear you. GM/Ford had about a 50-75 year head start and still cant keep up. Why?

40 years of complacency.. only in the last 5 years or so has GM and Ford started to wakeup.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

However, i did read that Hyundai was starting to look at making some sort of performance car.

Er, are you referring to the Tiburon?

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Vehicles/Tiburon/Main.asp

It's been around a while, remodelled once, and comes with an optional V6. Or are they building a second (better?) performance car?

Tiburon history, from this site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/About_Hyundai/History/History.asp

Tiburon

In 1997, Hyundai introduced the exciting Tiburon sporty coupe. Based on the HCD-1 and HCD-2 concept cars, Tiburon combined sleek, eye-catching styling with outstanding performance and handling.

The Tiburon's performance lives up to its sporty styling. Competing in the tough Michelin SCCA Pro Rally series, a specially prepared Hyundai Tiburon, driven by Paul Choiniere and Mark Higgins who joined the team for the 2002 season, won the Manufacturer's Championship in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and again in 2002. In 1997, Choiniere captured the Driver's Championship and he also piloted the Tiburon on its winning run up Pike's Peak in the annual Pike's Peak Open "Race to the Clouds."

The Tiburon was extensively revised in 2000 with revamped front, rear and interior styling. There was no 2002 model Tiburon. The 2001 model was sold until the spring of 2002, when it was replaced by the exciting all-new 2003 Tiburon. The new Tiburon GTV6 model offered some exciting new features -- a V6 engine, 6-speed manual transmission and a high performance 17-inch wheel and tire package. For 2004, the Tiburon received only minor interior trim changes and simplified packaging.

No its not to Tiberon i was refering to. I am not sure that they have even really done too much work other than maybe some conceptual stuff. I just happened to catch the tail end of an interview on TV about something. Some Hyundai exec mentioning upcoming plans or something.

Edmund's has a "First Drive" review of this car:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=105488

It looks pretty nice, IMO. It has a strong engine, looks good, good warranty, long list of features. For what they're asking for the LX it's a pretty compelling package. The only major negative I see offhand versus the Accord and Camry is depreciation since Hyundai as a brand still lags in this area.

Archived