LegacyGT.com

Timing belt kit good?

Hi All,

I just picked up a 2005 Legacy GT last week with about 90k miles..was told by the seller that the timing belt will need a change soon and was wondering if this timing belt kit from ebay would be fine? If not, what would you guys suggest for a replacement belt kit?

Here is the link to the belt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Turbo-EJ25-DOHC-Timing-Belt-Kit-Free-Shipping-/220651471852?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2005|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy|Submodel%3AGT&hash=item335fda43ec

Thanks!

If you can get a kit with all the pullies, I'd say jump on it, even if you buy another belt somewhere else. The dayco pulley kit is currently on backorder for an indefinite amount of time, and you can't buy it from anywhere.

I replaced all the idler pulleys and tensioner on my last t-belt job and it quieted down my engine considerably. But, I had to hunt around and buy each one individually. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com had them, but you have to do a lot of matching to pictures to get what you need.

Personally, I would get the eBay kit if it was me, but its all up to personal preference. I wouldn't think the timing belt would be bad enough to where it wouldn't stand up to the 105k service interval. Mine was in perfect condition when I removed it after 102k.

OEM is always nice though, just gotta pay $$$$$$$.

I'll be using a Gates racing belt when I do mine next time. I did buy the Dayco belt and pulleys, etc from Advance Auto parts 2 years ago.

IMO OP should buy from a trusted source like Fredbeans, after all, they support the forum and you know they'll stand behind what they sell.

Will your cheap guy on ebay do that ???

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Question: Where is the need for a "racing" timing belt? When is more stress put on a timing belt? It drives pulleys in an enclosed, clean area of the engine. More power doesn't = more stress or tension on the belt because the belt doesn't propel the car, it just turns cam gears at a fixed resistance regardless of output....right?

I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering if they were a scam or not.

OK thanks guys, so my only options are Gates or OEM? No one has tried any ebay kits? Anything a little less expensive than 300+ for a timing belt kit? Is dayco the only other reliable OEM source? I have seen it on rockauto but theres a back order like someone had mentioned and then theres a Gates timing belt kit for about 260 shipped - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e12052.m43.l1123/7?euid=03f783d0409c47c9a2278e7da5bd8f2d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D160489665013%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3AeRTM%3AMOTORS%3A1123

Should I get this? Also, is it best to replace the water pump as well?

Thanks again!

I bought a Gates kit from Fred Beans... I honestly don't think they would sell something that doesn't fit well...

Also how can an idler pulley not fit, besides wrong thread or wrong diameter...

One of the Dayco ones that I got was thinner in the center, I had to add a couple of washers under the bolt head. Not big issue.

My thought on the gates belt, it's stronger so it should last longer. Can anybody prove that to be wrong ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Sounds like it to me, without checking into it.

Just remember at Beans you have a direct link to the person your dealing with.

You can get a Dayco belt from your local Advance Auto Parts for a decent price. Also there's some coupons online if you want to get some money off as well and do in-store pickup.

$15 BIG5 - ($5 off $15 or more) 33%

$25 BIG10 - ($10 off $25 or more) 40%

$50 A123 - ($20 off $50 or more) 40%

$75 BIG30 - ($30 off orders over $75) 40%

$100 BIG40 - ($40 off orders over $100) 40%

$200 BIG50 - ($50 off orders over $200) 25%

ANY P20 - (20% off all orders - no minimum) 20%

LC123 is a valid coupon code as well I think, forget what it does though. That's what I used.

I got a water pump from AA only because it was so cheap, but it was DEFINITELY not needed. When I inspected my current pump it felt just as good as the new one. Tight, quiet and clean. Metal impeller, so it *probably* won't ever break. Probably why Subaru doesn't recommend it in the service interval.

• 4 weeks later...

There simply won't be a need for the upgraded gates racing belt if you change it every 105k. Honestly, how many of you guys will even own your Legacy at 210,000mi? There might be a few, but its still a minority. Haven't heard of a Legacy timing belt breaking yet with less than 100k miles on it.

You need a combination of the smooth and sprocketed pulleys based on whatever is on your engine.

Something to be aware of. I just received my Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit from Fred Beans. I also ordered the Gates Racing a/c and P/S belts they are blue and are said to be 300 % stronger.

To my dismay the Gates Racing timing belt kit does NOT include a Gates Racing

timing belt ! I does include a Gates belt , but not a blue Gates Racing belt that I was expecting .

I wanted the security of the 300 % stronger timing belt but did not get one.

I called Fred Beans and they said , no the kit comes with only a regular belt.

I told them that when I ordered a kit so named I expected a Gates Racing belt and asked if I could exchange this one for the better belt. The answer was no , i could not exchange the belt for an upgraded belt.

My option is to use this belt or throw it away and buy the belt I expected for another $105.

I then called Gates Racing in Denver ( 303-744-1911) and told them that I was unhappy. I told the rep if they were not including the Gates Racing belt in the Gates Racing Kit that they should at least tell you so in the ad or better yet tell you and offer to upgrade the kit with the better belt for whatever price bump.

He said that a new ad campaign was coming up and he would bring the upgrade idea up.

The bottom line....A ) I felt like the ad was mildly deceiving B ) Now if I want to upgrade I need to waste my money on a belt I don't want

I believe both of these businesses could better serve their customers by making their ads clear on what you are getting and not getting.

Archived