LegacyGT.com

New stereo + SpecB steering wheel, will it work?

Kodax

I know it is possible to install a new stereo and steering audio controls. My question is there any extra wiring involve? Because I am thinking of purchasing a new in-dash navigation and SpecB steering wheel with audio controls. I am hoping that it will be plug and play. :lol: Will it work?

PAC makes the product you desire.

OMG! I didn't know those products exist!

Do you happen to have any pictures that has those products mounted on a Legacy? I saw the product but I don't see any "controls". All I see are some wires, blue and black box. :lol:

Its just a black box and an infrared eye. Back box wires into steering wheel controls. Eye is mounted discreetly so it hits new HU. Black box converts OEM signals into signal your new HU understands. Used one in my Frontier, but not my Subie. I know plenty of members are using them in their Legacy's.

Its just a black box and an infrared eye. Back box wires into steering wheel controls. Eye is mounted discreetly so it hits new HU. Black box converts OEM signals into signal your new HU understands. Used one in my Frontier, but not my Subie. I know plenty of members are using them in their Legacy's.

Oh, I get what you mean. If I buy a new in-dash navigation and a SpecB steering wheel. I would need to use the pac product to connect those 2 together. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. :)

Now it is just a question of whether if it is worth it. :lol:

The PAC is worth the money. Your projects value is only known by you. Good luck on it. I believe it has been done before,so it is do-able,

hey, i have another question. Will the Pac products work with the stock stereo of the legacy? I tried looking around for the model no. of the legacy stereo but i cannot find it.

No. No infrared remote for the OEM HU. Members have converted wheels and run the wiring from the wheel to the OEM HU on their own and made it work though. There is a write up on how to add radio controls to an 05 in the modifications forum.

I know it is possible to install a new stereo and steering audio controls. My question is there any extra wiring involve? Because I am thinking of purchasing a new in-dash navigation and SpecB steering wheel with audio controls. I am hoping that it will be plug and play. :lol: Will it work?

I'm fairly sure that your 2009 3.0R already has the factory wiring present for the audio steering wheel controls (SWCs).

Incidentally, instead of swapping the entire wheel, you can also simply add the "pod" with the audio controls. See links to pictures and walk-throughs in this post.

The other ends of the SWC wires connect to the OEM HU via an 8-pin plug (which also has the wires from the armrest center console aux jack).

However, your particular OEM HU may or may not work with the SWCs. Some of the "lower" models with single CD don't (e.g., the P-206UNB).

[The PAC interface module is] just a black box and an infrared eye. Back box wires into steering wheel controls. Eye is mounted discreetly so it hits new HU.

PAC makes several other models that connect directly to a 'wired remote' input on aftermarket HUs. More reliable than using the infrared remote control.

There's another interface made by Metra -- the Axxess ASWC. Many Subaru owners have installed the ASWC and given rave reviews.

If I buy [an aftermarket] in-dash navigation and a SpecB steering wheel. I would need to use the pac product to connect those 2 together.

Yes, most aftermarket HUs require an interface module to convert from the Subaru's buttons to the signals the HU wants to see. A few HUs can connect directly to the car's wires and "learn" the car's buttons.

Will the Pac products work with the stock stereo of the legacy?

No. In general, the aftermarket steering wheel interface modules don't know how to "talk" to OEM radios (either infrared or wired).

But it won't be necessary. If the OEM radio works with OEM SWCs at all, then you'll simply need to wire the car's SWCs to the correct pins on the OEM HU. For 2006-2009 Legacys/Outbacks, just plug the car's 8-pin aux/SWC plug into the OEM HU's 8-pin socket.

^^Thanks for the great info SVXdc. :) But are you saying that it is possible to get the OEM stereo to connect the steering audio controls? Because from what I read, it is impossible to connect the single disc stereo to the audio controls. Or am I wrong?

I appreciate the input! :D

It's possible that all Legacy/Outback single-CD HUs do not work with SWCs. But I haven't seen enough cars to know. If you want to know about a particular HU (look at the model number printed on the front, near the display), you can search for another Subaru that has that same HU and also has SWCs.

I know there have been instances of cars that did not ship with SWCs, but the OEM HUs worked with the SWCs when the owner added the buttons. That may only be 6-disc HUs. I don't know.

What is your OEM HU model?

You could test it by temporarily connecting some resistors with the appropriate values to the pins on the back of your HU (see link in my previous post for resistor values).

It's possible that all Legacy/Outback single-CD HUs do not work with SWCs. But I haven't seen enough cars to know. If you want to know about a particular HU (look at the model number printed on the front, near the display), you can search for another Subaru that has that same HU and also has SWCs.

I know there have been instances of cars that did not ship with SWCs, but the OEM HUs worked with the SWCs when the owner added the buttons. That may only be 6-disc HUs. I don't know.

What is your OEM HU model?

You could test it by temporarily connecting some resistors with the appropriate values to the pins on the back of your HU (see link in my previous post for resistor values).

My model is P-206UNB :(. I guess I will take the aftermarket route and install the steering wheel controls.

Archived