LegacyGT.com

New BW EFR turbos coming soon through FR!!!!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing on the EFILogics site... you could find an Evo with it probably a lot easier, and find other baseline runs on EVOs with other known turbos...

Or call FP and ask if they know whom you could ask. I know Brian or Robert would have at least something to get you toward an answer.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Are these new turbos just for big power guys ?, or is there something for people who were thinking something along the lines of vf52 or evo16g ?

49lbs per minute is the stock location compressor IIRC.

That is about the same "max flow" as a Forced Performance 68HTA. If the EFR Performance is anything like claimed, then it will spool quicker than a 68HTA. The 68HTA is like a smallish 20G with slightly better boost threshold. You can set boost and timing at whatever you want (or tell your tuner) and that will peg torque at whatever upper limit you want, such as that similar to a VF52.

As an example, I plan on doing this with my next turbo. It should be able to make 550whp easy with E85, but I have no plans to ever turn it up that high.

There is no shame in not going "huge dyno power bro" :lol:

Buy the turbo that will drive and perform at your LOWER RPM points of preference, and then make sure it will pump enough to make you happy at high RPMs, and call it a day. If you're lucky--or smart--you can probably get both.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Are these new turbos just for big power guys ?, or is there something for people who were thinking something along the lines of vf52 or evo16g ?

No, there will be a stock location that will suit you well, actually better then any stock location you can currently get.

49lbs per minute is the stock location compressor IIRC.

That is about the same "max flow" as a Forced Performance 68HTA. If the EFR Performance is anything like claimed, then it will spool quicker than a 68HTA. The 68HTA is like a smallish 20G with slightly better boost threshold. You can set boost and timing at whatever you want (or tell your tuner) and that will peg torque at whatever upper limit you want, such as that similar to a VF52.

68HTA will maybe flow 42 lbs/min. 49 is a big jump from there.

With the 68HTA I have found that the 7 cm hotside restricts things, so even at 42 lb/min you have to run reduced timing on pump gas due to higher EGTs, especially if you do 4th or 5th gear runs this is noticeable.

A 49 lb/min turbo with a decent hotside and better flowing IWG will make a good 80 whp more then a 68HTA.

Hmmm... That sounds interesting... Should have better transient response and boost threshold as well...

In all honesty, I would expect:

-a lot more top end

-better transient response

-probably the same boost threshold (as defined as a dyno run done in 3rd or 4th gear, or comparable road dyno)

-boost threshold in the lower gears should be better then 68HTA

So expect a solid 375 whp turbo that spools at 3200 rpm in lower gears, but has transient response of a VF40.

This entire time I thought it was just me :lol: 42 seems a bit shy though, no?

I think the standard flow rating is based on a standard atmospheric pressure. I can get 45 lbs/min out of it, but only when it is like 20F temps.

70F temps it seems to flow about 42 for me, and for the majority of other logs I have seen.

In all honesty, I would expect:

-a lot more top end

-better transient response

-probably the same boost threshold (as defined as a dyno run done in 3rd or 4th gear, or comparable road dyno)

-boost threshold in the lower gears should be better then 68HTA

So expect a solid 375 whp turbo that spools at 3200 rpm in lower gears, but has transient response of a VF40.

In other words: New turbos from BW are so awesome they can kill your 5EAT twice as fast as stage 2 :lol:

In other words: New turbos from BW are so awesome they can kill your 5EAT twice as fast as stage 2 :lol:

Exactly.

So, just run 18 psi straight, instead of 21 tapering to 18. You will make the same power, but the transient response and snappier lower gear performance will still be a joy.

Nice.........I am sure I am not the only 5EAT stg 2 guys looking for "moderate" turbo upgrade.

Unofficially expect a stock location that can make 20G power but spool better then a VF39, probably better then a VF40.

I suppose it would be like the spool of the 2010+ LGTs but 20G top-end.

:wub:

Unofficially expect a stock location that can make 20G power but spool better then a VF39, probably better then a VF40.

If it really does live up to this hype... I'm down for it. But then again, cost is a huge factor in that equation. At a price like 3k for the full setup, it'll be outta my range. (if thats what its gonna cost)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Nice.........I am sure I am not the only 5EAT stg 2 guys looking for "moderate" turbo upgrade.

There are several of us making "slightly" more power than stage 2. My car should be able to do 400whp on E85 all day long. As long as that day is in the winter :lol:

I'll tell you a secret: The 5eat works fine if you take the time to understand how torque is transmitted into it, and then don't do stupid things that cause output torque to be ridiculously high.

Few tricks:

Use ECU 1st Gear compensation table and general RPM boost tuning to keep torque from being high through the stall phase, which is in the neighborhood of <= 3000RPMs.

Don't brake boost unless you understand how much torque can be released from a stand-still. Hint: It's a lot more than you think.

Frankster's trick of replacing the Center Diff's needle bearings with solid brass bushings.

There is a lot more too it, such as not shifting and demanding high torque both at the same time.

In short, learn how the trans transmits torque, and you will be in a good place to be like the 400whp people who have done so successfully for extended periods of time. I see no problem even with 450 whp out of a 5eat, but then Frankster is going to be the first to find out, and he'll sure beat the piss out of his to expose every possible weak link.

-ClimberD

If it really does live up to this hype... I'm down for it. But then again, cost is a huge factor in that equation. At a price like 3k for the full setup, it'll be outta my range. (if thats what its gonna cost)

I hope it will be less then that, but stuff isn't done yet.

I doubt it will cost much more then a current bb turbo, DP, and BPV.

Another practical comparison could be the few guys in the country running around with GT28 wheels swapped into JDM stock location twinscroll configurations, making a flat '20G' power band, but from REALLY low revs straight through to redline. Since many people end up replacing the header to get some semblance of smooth pulse collection, and the UP to remove the cat, and DP to replace... the cats and crap flange and small diameter, it stands to reason, logically, that one weigh this against those GT28-swapped JDM TS turbo kits. They pop up for sale once in a while.

One must also consider making a DP out of 3" pipe, a 3" 2-bolt flange, and a 3" v-band flange, isn't rocket science. Until recently, the biggest pain in the butt of making custom Subaru DPs was the impossible-to-find 5-bolt flanged bellhousing.

Looks like the EFR turbo with the same power capacity as the GT 3076R has an 83mm compressor wheel, vs Garrett's 76mm wheel. It will be interesting to see if the Ti parts and blade designs allow it to spool as quickly as Garrett's.

Archived