LegacyGT.com

New BW EFR turbos coming soon through FR!!!!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we were allowed to update the Full-Race EFR page a little more: http://www.full-race.com/articles/borgwarner-efr-turbos.html

Features include: Billet compressor wheels, investment cast stainless steel turbine housings, vband outlet, and optional built-in BOV and built-in Boost control solenoid. The most advanced blade aero anywhere, using borgwarner's Fullback/Superback turbine wheel designs.

next week the full specification and images will start to get released (the most exciting aspects of these turbos will come out at this time). We have (2) sizes for the stock location crowd, and many more for the rotated guys. Our gen2 twinscroll kit WILL fit an LGT, our gen1 did not (we discontinued the gen1 approx 3 years ago)

Just posting some of the info so if they don't click the link they will see it:

EFR turbo compressor housings incorporate an integrated BOV. Yes, you read that right - the BOV is a recirculating style *built-in* to the Compressor Housing. The major performance advantage in this design is that it redirects the high-pressure compressed air from the outlet of the compressor wheel -> right at the low-pressure inlet of the turbo. This helps to keep the turbo spooled between shifts and offers cost savings/convenience while keeping MAF-based engine mgt happy.
So you "FR is toooooooooooooo expensive" crowd, integrated BOV, or really a BPV (should change the wording Geoff) and integrated EBCS helps reduce costs and keeps things simple.

For applications which use electronic boost control, an Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (EBCS) is integrated into the compressor housing. This solenoid is truly OEM quality and uses an industry standard fuel injector plug, making it easy to connecting to multiple boost control systems. Of course if the hardcore racers want to use an external solenoid OR a manual boost controller (without the integrated EBCS), that is very easy to do.
Now why do we care about having a surge-line so far to the left?;)

The The blade geometry utilizes State-of-the-Art aerodynamics that delivers efficiency, boost capability and surge limits beyond any turbo we have ever seen.
The back side:

Hot Side (Turbine)

EFR units incorporate investment cast stainless steel turbine housings, in both Singlescroll and Twinscroll Configurations. Stainless steel is a superior material for high performance turbocharged gasoline applications with elevated EGTs. Stainless Turbine housings offer exceptional corrosion resistance at elevated temperatures - far superior to rusty/corroded cast iron we are used to seeing in the past. From a performance standpoint, the stainless turbine housings use thin wall thicknesses - so less heat energy escapes AND these are lighter weight than cast iron. The investment casting process results in a perfect surface finish that lowers gas friction losses and looks beautiful in the engine bay.

Going one step further, these Stainless housings have the option to use a LARGE internal wastegate OR traditional external wastegates mounted to the exhaust manifold. The EFR's internal wastegates are aerodynamically-optimized to offer the same performance as an external wastegate recirculated back into the downpipe - no 90 degree corners here. For space constrained applications which can not fit the EFR internal WG or Hardcore racers that want to keep their dual external wastegates - you can do that too!

All EFR Turbine Wheels utilize the latest generation Fullback/Superback turbine wheel designs, specifically tailored for high efficiency and high flow at elevated boost levels. These are low-stress and low-inertia designs capable of fast response, high shaft speeds and offer efficiency that is second to none. The materials used across the board are truly appropriate for extreme Exhaust Gas Temperatures found in racing applications.. and very lightweight for fast response. more on this next week :)

Look forward to you releasing the rest of the details!:)

All this sounds great and I'm open to changing turbos, but curious to see what the price tag is going to be. It sounds really expensive. My last turbo upgrade cost me ~$190 (difference b/w what old one sold for and new one cost). For someone taking an upgrade path (rather than starting from scratch), it sounds like it could be pricey. Also curious to see if it will pass strict emissions like my current setup, without having to revert to stock DP, etc. If it can't pass emissions, I'd be completely uninterested. If an option for a pipe with a removable cat (without removing the DP, etc.) were present, however, I'd love that. :cool:

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Our gen2 twinscroll kit WILL fit an LGT...

If you're thinking of who I think you're thinking of, gen2 LGT fitment has not yet been verified one way or the other. Unless something has changed in the last few weeks, I think you should touch base with the guy who was planning to beta-test it.

All this sounds great and I'm open to changing turbos, but curious to see what the price tag is going to be. It sounds really expensive. My last turbo upgrade cost me ~$190 (difference b/w what old one sold for and new one cost). For someone taking an upgrade path (rather than starting from scratch), it sounds like it could be pricey. Also curious to see if it will pass strict emissions like my current setup, without having to revert to stock DP, etc. If it can't pass emissions, I'd be completely uninterested. If an option for a pipe with a removable cat (without removing the DP, etc.) were present, however, I'd love that. :cool:

If you really want to, you can cut the DP in half, weld on flanges, and have a second bottom-half section made with huge cat. Swap in the cat section once per year. The cat section could even be a MIG exhaust shop hack job since it will never get used. But if your standard is $190 turbo swaps (plus gaskets), remember you're adding a huge performance increase to a car that cost 30k new and is still 10-15k used. $190 is peanuts.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

If you really want to, you can cut the DP in half, weld on flanges, and have a second bottom-half section made with huge cat. Swap in the cat section once per year. The cat section could even be a MIG exhaust shop hack job since it will never get used. But if your standard is $190 turbo swaps (plus gaskets), remember you're adding a huge performance increase to a car that cost 30k new and is still 10-15k used. $190 is peanuts.

That's a good strategy for getting an entirely different setup to pass emissions. Actually, it was $190 including gaskets, but no that isn't my standard or expectation for future upgrades. ;) Just saying, some upgrades can be had pretty cheap, especially once somebody is on an upgrade path. Sounds like this setup is a whole new path from the get-go. I love a lot of what I'm hearing, especially broadening the power band to the left. But cost, simplicity, and passing emissions are big concerns.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

All EFR Turbine Wheels utilize the latest generation Fullback/Superback turbine wheel designs, specifically tailored for high efficiency and high flow at elevated boost levels. These are low-stress and low-inertia designs capable of fast response, high shaft speeds and offer efficiency that is second to none. The materials used across the board are truly appropriate for extreme Exhaust Gas Temperatures found in racing applications.. and very lightweight for fast response. more on this next week :)

Here's hoping for a twinscroll option to fit the '10 LGT header. The frigging Timbit sized turbo Subaru gave us just won't flow enough air.

AFAIK that does not exist yet.

I personally believe that the new WRX/STI will be based on that design, and then we will see better turbos for the 10+ LGT.

I think that won't happen till the 2013 model year.

Everything should work but your DP.

;)

You will be able to sell your DP, and a few other things you will no longer need.:)

Poop:mad:

I wonder if AVO can do a cast bellmouth to fit up with their DP and this turbo?

Sigh... I am sure there will be a market for V Band adapter flange:lol:

Is increased spool time for the twin scroll?

Will the stock location be anywhere near the twin scroll alternatives?

or will we really need headers,up pipe, down pipe and turbo like we always have to get the full benefit.

or will we really need headers,up pipe, down pipe and turbo like we always have to get the full benefit.

This turbo in stock location will blow away a properly set-up old school TS set-up. Of course, the best will be this new turbo in full TS gear.

So no, a normal header, or even OEM manifold, UP, just a different DP and you will have something truly good!

Due to the rules of fluid dynamics, you will always have to make every part of the system as ideal as it can be in order to get the MAXIMUM benefit. Since it's a turbo fueled by exhaust pulses (hopefully), twinscroll will still be better than singlescroll. And a sloppy header will still limit efficiency vs a better one. These are very basic things.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

OK lol not what i was asking... i was wondering if the turbo would still be TS but have a flapper covering scroll #2 until the turbo spools to xRPM. I know fluids better than most people you come across having majored both in mechanical and aerospace engineering.

I am aware of turbo and turbine theory. I will end up with a TS setup someday.

But if i can get away with 350whp and good spool from stock location then thats plenty for now. I'm just trying to pry and get some more info :-)

Thanks though i know headers with the best aerodynamics and that keeps pulse energy high will work the best.

Looks like someone is leaking info, therefore I guess I can share some more:

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/catalog/bwturbolowsmall.jpg

Notice integrated EBCS (very close for fast fast response).

Also notice integrated BPV which actually helps spool the turbo a bit after a shift!

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/catalog/bwturboturblow500.jpg

Notice V-band style DP. There is some other WG goodness inside!!!!:)

Also notice how the WG actuator is attached to the center cartridge, for easy clocking!

Low Inertia Turbine Wheel Gamma-Ti turbine wheel cuts turbine inertia by roughly 50% dramatically improving turbo response. Turbine sizes range from 55 to 80mm in exducer diameter

Heat Resistant Turbine Housings

Investment cast stainless steel turbine housings improve durability and offer an extremely smooth internal flow channel. Turbine housings have thin walls to reduce weight and thermal inertia.

High Turbine Efficiency

Superback and Fullback back-disk shapes offer very high efficiencies. The Superback shape adds a curved profile to the backdisk and has the effect of lowering centrifugal stress and permitting higher rotational speeds.

50% reduction in turbine wheel mass is HUGE! Hello low boost threshold and much improved transient response!!!!

Archived