LegacyGT.com

New BW EFR turbos coming soon through FR!!!!

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do the low mount turbo setups require a scavenge pump for oil drain?

Yes they do. Oil doesn't magically run uphill to the sump eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The first version of the low mount turbo setup was on the road for over 4 years. I hit a rock once, while doing stupid tricks in my work parking lot. I have never hit anything in normal driving. I have a skid plate I run in the winter to keep snow from packing into the headers. I've never hit anything other than snow with it. The lowest point of my car is the turbo compressor cover. From that point to the ground is more ground clearance than a stock LGT. (I have an Outback) If someone wanted to pay for it, I could easily do a low mount turbo setup on a legacy with no impact to ground clearance. It would require a V-mount intercooler and radiator. It would actually be a more ideal manifold plumbing path than my current one. Twinscroll would also be an option, whereas I don't have the room for the extra plumbing. (Stupid Subaru firing order!!)

Other than it being low, it's just as exposed as a stock turbo. Both get wet in the rain and snow. Now they are in the same low location stock.

I have an electric oil scavenge pump. It runs for one minute after the engine is turned off. The new Subarus with the low mount turbos use an oil scavenge pump driven off a camshaft. The mini lower oil pan is to collect oil that drains into the turbo during the off cycle. I don't need one because I run the oil pump after the car is off.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Thanks mwiener,

I would like to explore the possibility of replicating the camshaft (i.e. mechanically) driven oil scavenging pump. I spoke to several experienced tuners & builders - all raised the oiling & oil scavenging concern as the show stopper - all are paranoid about electrical oil pump failing catastrophically, resulting in turbo failure, big cloud of smoke, etc - I heard many horror stories :)

Perhaps a mechanical oil pump can be run of the main belt or, as an appendage to one of the devices powered by the main belt...?

I'd like to try to squeeze an EFR into the stock location with the v-band turbine inlet, and two with v-band options have a 2.5" inlet it could possibly adapt to a stock or aftermarket inlet. Anyone tried this?

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can fit a B1 frame into the stock location but not the B2 frame turbos are too big.

Would love to see how a stock location V-band 6758, or 7163 performs. :wub:

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7163 is B1, I believe

It is. The largest wheels available on the B1 frame. It goes into the stock location on the 5th gen very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

This graph is of a beta version 7163 using a modified 6758 housing with 0.64 A/R

The released version uses a 0.85 A/R housing, claiming similar spool but ~50+ more hp on top. Same awesome tuner - Paul@Yimisport

I can vouch for the 500+hp, the spool however, at least on my 5EAT automatic, was ~500rpm slower (than above dyno) - you manual guys will probably fair better -

I highly recommend this turbo for manual -

for Auto I am going to try Twin Scroll version to help spool,

and 83mm 2.6L Strocker to improve pre-boost response.

And, perhaps even at the "New" low mount location ala Legacy GT 2010+

If I can just get a TS manifold custom made...(I am looking for a good welder.)

This graph is of a beta version 7163 using a modified 6758 housing with 0.64 A/R

The released version uses a 0.85 A/R housing, claiming similar spool but ~50+ more hp on top. Same awesome tuner - Paul@Yimisport

I can vouch for the 500+hp, the spool however, at least on my 5EAT automatic, was ~500rpm slower (than above dyno) - you manual guys will probably fair better -

I highly recommend this turbo for manual -

for Auto I am going to try Twin Scroll version to help spool,

and 83mm 2.6L Strocker to improve pre-boost response.

And, perhaps even at the "New" low mount location ala Legacy GT 2010+

If I can just get a TS manifold custom made...(I am looking for a good welder.)

I want to do a 2.6 stroker with 9.5-1 compression. But only run like a vf52.

I love the efr setups so much though

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want to do a 2.6 stroker with 9.5-1 compression. But only run like a vf52.

I love the efr setups so much though

Only do high compression if you're always using E85 or stay at high altitude.

Sent from a device using some software.

with forged pistons and high compression. run a larger turbo like a 1.5xtr or 20gxtr run at lower psi they will last longer and the air will not heat up as much.

Exactly

High CR, low boost

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And when you're bored with it, you're out of options.

Sent from a device using some software.

with forged pistons and high compression. run a larger turbo like a 1.5xtr or 20gxtr run at lower psi they will last longer and the air will not heat up as much.

Longer than an EFR setup? EFR is way more efficient for sure, at the same boost, maybe even more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes but him saying vf52 makes me think he didn't want to buy a new up and downpipe on top of 1800 for the turbo. Yes more efficient but $$$$

Yes, but if you figure most people are buying a new up-pipe and downpipe anyway then its not so bad. Or that you could sell the ones you have now. Also many of the high end bolt-on turbos are in the $1400+ range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my experience lower CR with higher boost is better on pump. E85 sure, both. :wub:

I have flex fuel kit! :D

And, i like low end...if I could have gotten a diesel in my lgt, I would have.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here below are the dyno graphs depicting the performance of the EFR 6258 and 7163, both Single Scroll,

on my 5EAT Automatic OBXT, with all supporting mods including Full Race SS Exhaust manifold and up pipe. Cal 91 and e85.

6258 uses 3" DP and 3" center section but OEM mufflers

7163 is supported by upgraded dual 3" AVO mufflers and, a slightly high stall speed TC.

I hope that ppl can now "see" how my experience spool and power wise differs from all the other enviable EFR 7163 setups based on manual transmission cars.

I have not seen other EFR Automatic setups, any out there?

Same awesome tuner: Paul@YimiSport

Next, I'll be trying the Twin Scroll 7163, in the hope it'll buy me ~200rpm in spool,

another ~100rpm hopefully will come from stroking the motor with a 83mm crank.

These should bring me close to 6258 spool.

Enjoy and constructive comments are welcome

https://naturenomad.smugmug.com/Car-...IMG_6735-L.png

https://naturenomad.smugmug.com/Car-...IMG_6736-L.png

perhaps somebody can help and upload the graphs onto this board? thanks.

Archived