LegacyGT.com

Second Gen. Aftermarket Parts and Upgrade Guide (Superceded)

Are you lowering the car? If you are, and depending on how much (at least 1 inch) you might/should consider getting a roll-center kit. Whiteline has one for the 4th Gens (I use one on mine) and that includes new heavy duty ball joints and tie-rod ends.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any aftermarket lower ball joints available. I need to replace one and figured if there is an upgrade than why not...

I think if any would fit it would be an RS one, I think 3-5th gen has a different suspension then us, and turbo subaru's have different control arms.

The KCA313 RCK is what you want. Fitments:

- Subaru Impreza (MY01-02) GD-GG 10/00-9/02 excl turbo

- Subaru Impreza (MY01-02) WRX & STi GD1 10/00-9/02 turbo sedan

- Subaru Impreza (MY01-02) WRX GG1 10/00-9/02 turbo wagon

- Subaru Impreza (MY03) STi GD 10/02-9/03 turbo excl WRX

- Subaru Impreza (MY03-07) GD-GG 10/02-07 excl turbo

- Subaru Impreza (MY03-07) WRX GD2 10/02-07 turbo sedan excl STi

- Subaru Impreza (MY03-07) WRX GG2 10/02-07 turbo wagon

- Subaru Impreza (MY04) STi GD 10/03-9/04 turbo excl WRX

- Subaru Impreza (MY05-07) STi GD 10/04-9/07 turbo excl WRX

- Subaru Impreza (MY08) GH 10/07-On non-turbo

- Subaru Impreza (MY08) STi GE 02/08-On turbo excl WRX

- Subaru Impreza (MY08) WRX GE 10/07-On turbo awd

- Subaru Impreza (MY94-00) GC-GF 10/93-9/00 excl turbo

- Subaru Impreza (MY94-00) WRX & STi GC-GF 10/93-9/00

- Subaru Legacy BD,BG 6/94-99

- Subaru Legacy BE B4 98-02 turbo

- Subaru Legacy BE,BH 98-02 excl turbo

- Subaru Legacy BL,BP 09/03-08 all

- Subaru Liberty BD,BG 6/94-99

- Subaru Liberty BE B4 98-03 turbo

- Subaru Liberty BE,BH 98-02 excl turbo

- Subaru Liberty BL,BP 09/03-08 all

Will dial-out the bump-steer I'm confident you're experiencing lowered that much and will provide a much better on-road feel. Also, don't forget the Anti-lift Kit (one of the best mods I did to my GTs) to add-in some positive caster. Will make your "L" very "tossable" and stable at the limits.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

wrx brake swap question:

Do I need anything else besides calipers, rotors and pads? and what yrs?

the caliper brackets are needed to.. any 02-04 will work

"Brackets" otherwise known as "carriers", right? If I were to order all-new WRX upgrade parts for my LGT, I would ask for:

2002-2004 WRX 11.4" Front Rotors, Left and Right

2002-2004 WRX 2-piston Front Calipers, Left and Right

2002-2004 WRX Front Brake Pad Carriers, Left and Right

2002-2004 WRX Front Brake Pads, Left and Right

?

not sure about the other names, i'm talking about the 'U' shaped part that holds the caliper/pads to the hub

http://images2.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/archive/pictures/46186/600/1/P/28BA621/mercury_cougar_brake_caliper_bracket_rear_oem_f35z_2b511a_f35z2b511a.jpg

So, about the "H6" rear brake upgrade (really any 2000+ Leggy/Outback, I understand)...

http://wrxinfo.com/how_tos/Brakes/H6brakes.htm

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f94/subaru-legacy-h6-rear-brake-upgrade-5177/

I won't have to find a different spare tire, right? My existing spare will still fit over the rears, and if I have a front blowout, I move the rear wheel forward, and put the spare on the rear. I think that is what someone has told me here in these forums.

Edited by camroncamera

Also on the H6/2000+ Legacy Rear Brake upgrade... I use the rotors and caliper carrier/bracket from the 2000+, but NOT the actual caliper, correct? I think I read that the 2000+ calipers use different brake lines? So, even if I wished to freshen up my old rear calipers, I would need to stick with the '98 version?

If so, for rear H6/2000+ pads, I would use based on which model?

1998 Legacy (to fit my '98 calipers)?

OR 2000+ pads (to fit the H6/2000+?rotors/carriers)?

OR ???

Edited by camroncamera

Part of the upgrade is the caliper no?

Hmmmm... that is an interesting point, as none of the "conversions" I read about were second-gen legacies. They were 2002+ WRX's and Foresters. They used the existing calipers with the upgraded brackets.

Here is a second-gen Legacy conversion that used a whole caliper swap:

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14909

But this is why I thought I could use my old caliper:

i went with WRX brakes all around, MASSIVE upgrade. the only thing i would do different is go for the H6 rear brake upgrade (just requires a different rear rotor and caliper bracket from the WRX bits)

But I wouldn't mind all-new calipers since I am doing the fronts as well. But I have already invested in stainless brake lines, so I don't want to change anything that would require different brake lines yet again.

Edited by camroncamera

Yeah I am pretty sure the caliper bracket is there to support the bigger rotor and caliper.

I will let someone else chime in. But I am 95% sure you will need to use the new caliper.

More research seems to agree with what you say:

http://www.scoobymods.com/subaru-rear-brake-redux-t762.html

REAR CALIPER ATTACHMENT

All Subaru rear calipers ultimately bolt to a heavy-steel rear backing plate, which in turn is bolted to the rear knuckle. This backing plate has a thin steel dust shield, appropriately sized for the rotor, spot–welded around its perimeter.

1. Subaru single pot rear calipers are sliding type calipers, and utilize a caliper bracket to hold the pads and attach the caliper to the backing plate. This caliper bracket could also be viewed as an adapter, which adapts calipers to different sized rotors and vice versa. The single pot caliper attaches to the caliper bracket and the caliper bracket bolts to the backing plate via 5.75” spaced mounting holes. The single pot rear calipers can further be divided into either “older” or newer” style. The actual phasing from “older” to “newer” style caliper varied by model. For Imprezas and Foresters, this seemed to occur during MY98. For Legacys and OBs, the “newer” style calipers appeared on MY00 cars.

UPGRADING THE REAR BRAKES

The first thing to do if you want to upgrade is to determine what you have already. Once you have determined that, you can follow the info below to figure what parts you need to get which upgrade. For my purposes I am considering the 266x10mm/single pot rear brake setup (“older” or “newer” style caliper,) the baseline from which to upgrade. If you have rear drums, do a quick search will get you the info needed to prepare for the rear discs options listed here.

“H6” upgrade (a misnomer, but nice and short.) Gains: Moving to a larger (290mm) solid rotor yielding moderately better heat dissipation and more angular advantage for the caliper. If you have the “older” style caliper you will need to replace calipers, caliper brackets, pads, and rotors. If you have the “newer” style caliper, you need only replace the caliper brackets and rotors (retaining your calipers and pads.) Regardless of the caliper you’ve got, you will also need to bend or remove the dust shield or replace the entire backing plate (probably not worth the effort.)

for how to do the above mod go here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=814

So, will my new stainless brake lines for '98 LGT work with 2000+ Legacy rear calipers? Edited by camroncamera