LegacyGT.com

question about aftermarket sound systems

tef1986

hello ive had my 2005 legacy for awhile now and im trying to come up with ways to increase my spl in my car and was curious as to if anyone else has put a sound system into theirs and competed in audio competitions. i currently have my setup faceing the trunk so any ideas on how to help would be appreciated.

well currently im running two 12" sundown z v.2's in a ported box tuned to about 44 and im running a alpine m2000 amp on them. im interested in competing but staying fairly low on the wattage for certain competitions in my area. ive also removed the factory cd player and did the whole jdm kit and have installed a alpine headunit in it as well

well i thought about that but considering that my seat wont let down without taking the bolts out and the only opening is the armrest hole thing i wasnt sure if it would do as good. but i do have my port in the middle of my box so if i did turn it around it would be shooting directly into my cab

Oh thats right i completely forgot the seats dont fold down. Well basically woofers and port firing back is all you can do really. But you might look at getting a better box made. How many cubes is the box? I have a single TC Sounds LMS-R 12 in a 2 cube 35 HZ box that sounds pretty good. Also just built a 2.5 cube 34 Hz box for my buddy's Fosgate T2 12 that hits pretty good. Depending on the siza of your box you might want more air space and a lower tune

well right now it hits pretty good . its tuned to around 45 hrz or its supposed to be anyway . a guy at a audio shop says its not but thats what it does its best numbers at is 44 and 45 . as for the box i have 2.8 cf in it and its double faced as well. its possible i could get more airspace out of a different box but it would be close cause that one barely fits in the trunk as is.

also i might add my current number that i can do is a 143.3 db at a competetion from the windshield. im trying to get to 145 plus ive put a layer of dynamat on my trunk to help with the vibration it didnt hurt or help me at all score wise

Ya theres a whole crap ton of ways to increase your score without even touching any of the audio equipment. My big misfortune for my first sound comp was that 1 of my 18s was unscrewing itself outta the box so when I was metering it my first run it knocked one of my trim pannels off. Thats when I noticed my woofer was about an inch and a half outta the box. So all I got was a measly 147.9 for db drag 145.6 bass race. That was 2 18s on 4000 watts rms walled in a litttle civic. Wind shield flexing like it was going to pop out. I know dynamatting the roof helps but to go through the trouble I dunno if its worth it. The best place to get your numbers is the box of course. Ive seen 8's do 150+. So thats where you might wanna start to get 2 DB cuz thats quite a bit as little as it may seem.

yeah thats what im thinking about doing is getting me a new box built to try and help out . i also agree on putting dynamat on the roof being to much of a hassel as soon as i get this car up to 145 im buying me a project car and just working on it and going to get it fixed up good

You should invest in learning how to build your own woofer boxes if you have the time. Really is a time saver and money saver. I think I built my first box when I was 14 but its all just a learning expirience. Then you know its done right (air space/tune). My boxes are near indestructable now :)

Have you taken the 7" metal plate off the back deck yet. Once I took off the metal plate, I cut out the carpet where the hole is and place a screen over it, and notice an increase in sound.
My wife's balls are delicious.

well i read about that on here in someones post but i wasnt sure if that would help out or not for what im wanting. i suppose there is no harm in trying it thoe . i might take it out and meter it here this weekend to see if that improves it any thanks for the advice so far ive managed to get a .4 db gain by putting me a 2400 kinetik on it and my overall goal for my car is a 145. im currently at a 143.3 so im getting closer .

yeah true ive been trying to figure out a way to maybe reinforce the trunk i have a couple of layers of dynamat on the trunk to try to help but it didnt increase or decrease and it still flexes horribly lol. im not sure how to get that to stop without doing some modifications to it. i was thinking about trying to figure out how to get like a thicker seal for the trunk and putting it on it that way it would be able to hold more air in but the flexing in it is just another thing i dunno about lol. thanks for the tips imma try and get the rear deck dynomatted this week so that way its a bit stronger and might keep it from flexing as well my idea is to cover everything except for the holes opening into the cabe to help push the maximum amount out through the holes.

You want in on the secret to stop trunk flex? By yourself its impossible.............but, I'm pretty sure its legal to have a couple of your buddies sit on the trunk to stop some of the flex and give them a nice butt massage. I know all about trunk flex. Go on youtube and type in Got Trunk Flex streetracerss and you will see what I mean. Ive tightened my latch so the trunk isnt even flush with the sides anymore. If you try to pry the trunk it hardly moves but hey thats the power of SPL flexin everything

well i metered it yesterday and venting the rear deck and taking the middle seatbelt out. while also putting a layer of dynomat around it gave me .4 db it brought me up from a 142.9 to a 143.3 so that helped some. i also moved some stuff around and tweaked it alot more all day and got it up to an overall score of 143.9 so im getting closer to my overall goal. just 1.1 db to go lol. i honestly think as soon as i get me another battery on it that that score will be about .3 or .4 db higher if not more. so im getting very close to it. thanks for your help. im going to keep running thru some more ideas for next year and hopefully ill be ready to kick some butt at the next local competition here on the 30th.

Archived