LegacyGT.com

Shaking at 60+

kram

Hi there...I'm cross-posting this from the wheels/tires forum since maybe this is a suspension issue I haven't thought of:

I'll try to be as concise as possible with what's going on.

About a year ago I hit a nasty pothole on the highway which blew the front, passenger tire. Purchased (4) new Yoko Avid Envigors. Tire shop checked & said wheels are not bent (06 WRX rims).

After the tire purchase:

• Car pulls to the right & shakes at 60+.
  • Had the car aligned, still pulls & shakes.
  • Returned 3x to have the tires balanced - two different shops. Still shakes, tho tire shop says the wheels balanced fine.
  • Rotate tires...still shakes.

Recently had a bunch of work done (At AZPInstalls):

• New rotors/pads
  • Koni inserts/MSI Springs (I installed these)
  • Rallitek front endlinks
  • AVO offset LCA bushings

That improved A LOT of things BUT....car is still shaking at hwy speeds.

Just took the the car in for an alignment after the springs settled & had the fronts 'road force' balanced on the Hunter machine, STILL shaking and pulling to the right, tho the alignment looked good. Tire shop says the rims aren't bent.

Funny thing now is, after the road force balance, at 60+ I get moments of complete smoothness in the wheel, no vibration, no shaking...it's wonderful, but it doesn't last. I can't find any consistency to when it does it tho.

ANY ideas on what to check?? The car feels great at low speeds...but once I get on the highway, it's like I have Parkinsons. :redface::mad:

I don't know if the sway bar bushings could be the culprit...I still have to replace the fronts as the stock ones are split.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

have you had others drive the car to see if they experience the same? maybe you "think" you feel something?

Also have you driven the same roads in another car to see if it could be the road? We have a few roads by me, while they look fine, provide a "hum" when you drive them.

just a try.

i have the same problem, I got new rims , new tires, new brakes, new lca bushing, had car aligned 2 times and wheels balanced, car still pulls to the right and steering shakes once you hit 60mph, under 60 barely noticable, but very anoying. I have even comtemplating selling car if i cant get shakes and steering to fix. I dont understand, new tires, new rims, new brembos, new rotors, new pads, New factory lcas, new Avo chasis front brace. I have a apt with bc racing to look a coilovers on friday. maybe a bad coilover. I will pay any amount to get this fixed. If not that BMW 135i is looking better and better everyday. I feel you pain let me know your outcome. maybe it will fix mine too.

have you had others drive the car to see if they experience the same? maybe you "think" you feel something?

Also have you driven the same roads in another car to see if it could be the road? We have a few roads by me, while they look fine, provide a "hum" when you drive them.

just a try.

My wife drove it & she thought I was crazy & that the car just felt that way. :confused: She's not very mechanically incline tho... :rolleyes: A tuner buddy rode with me the other day & saw the wheel the wheel shimmying, said it definitely doesn't look right. Should have got it on video.

I've driven the same roads in a couple cars & it's definitely an issue with mine....the leggy does it no matter where I drive.

i have the same problem, I got new rims , new tires, new brakes, new lca bushing, had car aligned 2 times and wheels balanced, car still pulls to the right and steering shakes once you hit 60mph, under 60 barely noticable, but very anoying. I have even comtemplating selling car if i cant get shakes and steering to fix. I dont understand, new tires, new rims, new brembos, new rotors, new pads, New factory lcas, new Avo chasis front brace. I have a apt with bc racing to look a coilovers on friday. maybe a bad coilover. I will pay any amount to get this fixed. If not that BMW 135i is looking better and better everyday. I feel you pain let me know your outcome. maybe it will fix mine too.

Ugghh...sucks, doesn't it? Doesn't feel terribly safe either. Did you have the issue before the new rims/tires etc? Or did you do buy them to correct the issue?

I experienced similar high speed shake when I had new tires mounted on new wheels. I brought the car back to the shop to have the wheels run again on the balancer to make sure I didn't have an out of round wheel. The shop determined that the wheels were out of balance, and fixed it by doing a lug-centric rebalance as opposed to a hub-centric balance - which is what they did when they originally balanced the wheels. Can't say anything about the "pulling" problem. I'm usually highly sceptical of such reports, as they usually end up being road surface related with a touch of user-oversensitivity thrown in. Just drive faster and you won't notice the pulling:lol:

Any chance it's wheel bearings? I've got a similar issue at 60+, and it's not wheels/tires (rotated and rebalanced). I was thinking it was my LCA bushings, but seeing that you replaced yours is making me think otherwise. Considering that wheel bearings are a known issue- maybe they're on their way out, but not making noise yet?

Archived