LegacyGT.com

Leaking fluid.

I was driving a few weeks ago on the freeway, and i noticed some smoke. So i pulled over and there were small puddles of fluid. Thought it was oil, and so i changed my oil pan gasket. Thought the problem was fixed well today i was on the freeway again, for the first time since gasket replacement. Saw smoke once again, and saw more little puddles. Smelt it and it smelt like gear oil. So what and or where can the leak be from. WOrst part about it is that i just chngaed out my tranny gear fluid just yesterday?? Any help would work

I was driving a few weeks ago on the freeway, and i noticed some smoke. So i pulled over and there were small puddles of fluid. Thought it was oil, and so i changed my oil pan gasket. Thought the problem was fixed well today i was on the freeway again, for the first time since gasket replacement. Saw smoke once again, and saw more little puddles. Smelt it and it smelt like gear oil. So what and or where can the leak be from. WOrst part about it is that i just chngaed out my tranny gear fluid just yesterday?? Any help would work

i assume this is a 5 speed trans.

first check your trans gear oil level, you do not want it to be low.

next, park on clean pavement and look for the drips on the pavement. then follow it up looking for gear oil on your trans.

there are only so many places a trans can leak.

my guess is rear drive shaft seal.

• I Donated

Tracing an oil leak can be kind of a pain. If it smells like gear oil, then add a little AC Dye (you can buy it at AutoZone or any other parts store) into the transmission.

Drive it around for a little while and use a UV light w/ glasses around the transmission and axles. Whatever is leaking will GLOW bright green. That will be your leak.

You can use this for oil, ATF, or just about anything else.

The kit w/ UV Dye, glasses, and the light cost about $20. You can find it with the freon in the parts store. Doing this defiantly beats trying to guess where the leak is coming from.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

would an axle shaft seal, leak a ton of fluid??? Its mostly on my passenger side of the motor, and the axle boot is torn? I just did the change in fluid, and i didnt spill any, and this has happened before when i was on the high way. It only happened both times after getting on the freeway, at 4k at 78mph or so..

passenger side torn boot will sling grease on the exhaust and stink. that may well be what your problem is. look for black stuff on the exhaust, from above.

and keep an eye on your trans gear oil level.

• I Donated

One thing to keep in mind that what you see drip out appears to be A LOT more then what is actually coming out. A half quart of oil spilled on the driveway would look like you drained all of your oil out.

Now with this being a drip, its not going to be your CV boots. CV boots are packed with thick grease....it will more or less ooze out like really thick hair gel.

The seal around where you CV axle goes into the transmission is probably leaking. Its not really a major repair - but its better to leave it to someone who is experienced doing it.

And yes - an axle shaft seal will leak a lot of fluid if its a bad enough leak. The seals are there for a reason....if they are mission, damaged, dry rotted....or anything that keeps them from holding the fluid in....alll the fluid will just puke out

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived