LegacyGT.com

**OFFICIAL** PA / NJ / DE Member Directory

TheWeatherWarrior

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
A while back I read a thread in which a couple of pro tuners in the Allentown/Bethlehem area were discussed. One was recommended and there were warnings to avoid the other. I think Epic was one but I can't recall the other and now I can't locate the thread.

I'm anticipating an upgrade to an STi UP and a BNR 16g turbo so will be needing to retune my car afterward. I am likely to do the change at my parents' near Binghamton, NY because I have no garage to use in SE PA, but have been unable to locate any tuners closer than 3 hours away. Allentown would thus be the closest. I'm also considering going with an Infamous e-tune but want to explore all my options.

I'm looking to do a good DD tune so I don't need anything special other than a good measure of competency. Any help in locating a tuner (especially in the northeast part of PA or NY southern-tier) or opinions on my options would be greatly appreciated.

There is Epic Tuning in Bethlehem/allentown, Evans tuning and Area 1320 that's the few i can think of from the top of my head. Epic Tuning i think focuses more on swaps more than anything else. Evans Tuning is supposedly an amazing tuner, i know of people traveling across a few states just to get a tune from him i think he focuses mostly on hondas but he does tune everything i think. Area 1320 i dont know too much about it but they are supposed to be good for subaru guys, i know one of the salesman where i bought my car goes there and swears by them and this guy has the fastest baja in the world not literally, but it's fast. Actually you can check out his baja on Tristatetuners .com and he goes by bajarob.

There is Epic Tuning in Bethlehem/allentown, Evans tuning and Area 1320 that's the few i can think of from the top of my head.

Evans is a new one to me. I did find the original thread I was looking for and the discussion was Area 1320 and Precision in NJ. In addition to some glowing endorsements I've also seen some significant warnings away from Area 1320. I sent an email to Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville but they didn't write back. I'm still undecided but at this point I'm leaning toward R/T in Lansdale as the best blend of convenience and good recommendations but they also didn't respond to an email inquiry. I also realized that I don't want to have a tune done with my winter tires so it looks like I may be waiting until some time in the spring before I do my big project.

Evans is a new one to me. I did find the original thread I was looking for and the discussion was Area 1320 and Precision in NJ. In addition to some glowing endorsements I've also seen some significant warnings away from Area 1320. I sent an email to Phoenix Performance in Phoenixville but they didn't write back. I'm still undecided but at this point I'm leaning toward R/T in Lansdale as the best blend of convenience and good recommendations but they also didn't respond to an email inquiry. I also realized that I don't want to have a tune done with my winter tires so it looks like I may be waiting until some time in the spring before I do my big project.

You could try Akuma motorsports in Morganville nj. They do pro tunes and anything else you could think of. A few members on the forums here went there and were satisfied.

You could try Akuma motorsports in Morganville nj. They do pro tunes and anything else you could think of. A few members on the forums here went there and were satisfied.

If all other things were equal Akuma would be my first choice. I just have to balance all my odd logistical issues to make the final decision. Thanks for the input.

If all other things were equal Akuma would be my first choice. I just have to balance all my odd logistical issues to make the final decision. Thanks for the input.

No problem, just my .02

I'll probably end up going to them if I wanna get a dyno tune over an E-tune. Im probably going to settle with an etune for a while because of the cost.

No problem, just my .02

I'll probably end up going to them if I wanna get a dyno tune over an E-tune. Im probably going to settle with an etune for a while because of the cost.

I investigated going with an e-tune but can't think of where I'd be able to go fast enough to do the logging. Another advantage of a pro tune is that it's done in a day and if there are any problems that develop or are discovered they can be dealt with on a more immediate basis.

forum name/screen name WindyRoad

city, State Langhorne PA

year of car (by vin) 2009

Model (LGT, SpecB, etc.) LGT

Body Style (Sedan or Wagon) Sedan

color (as official as possible) DGM

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I investigated going with an e-tune but can't think of where I'd be able to go fast enough to do the logging. Another advantage of a pro tune is that it's done in a day and if there are any problems that develop or are discovered they can be dealt with on a more immediate basis.

Thats the main reason I want a protune over etune anyway. More exact science than averaging and estimating to get numbers. Hopefully one of the better local tuner shops that doesn't have a POS dyno will do a subi day or something for a decent deal.

And in regards to evans tuning.. They use a dynapack dyno which are junk.. IMHO.. find a shop with a good dyno that's creditable and well maintained. Dynapack dyno's are the cheapest on the market for a reason..

Edited by MrHellrais3R

Thats the main reason I want a protune over etune anyway. More exact science than averaging and estimating to get numbers. Hopefully one of the better local tuner shops that doesn't have a POS dyno will do a subi day or something for a decent deal.

And in regards to evans tuning.. They use a dynapack dyno which are junk.. IMHO.. find a shop with a good dyno that's creditable and well maintained. Dynapack dyno's are the cheapest on the market for a reason..

Actually, the Dynapack is one of the most expensive dynos on the market. Our AWD Dynapack setup cost over $130,000. They are by far one of the the best and safest dynos you can use for steady-state, load bearing tuning.

Regardless, as long as you are using a load bearing dyno the type of dyno used to tune a car is irrelevant. Overall, any tuning customer should always be more concerned with the tuner, the tune, and the post-tuning support than they are with the dyno.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...