DIY Friendly Garage Group Trip

HarryN

Is this a good idea for meets?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea for meets?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i got an extra bulb (oem) left over after i did the HID upgrade. If I can dig it up I can just give it to you.

HarryN - PM sent

That would be excellent! I dont suppose you'll be around NOVA before saturday though, will you? I just would rather not drive around with a broken bulb for too long.

I went to DIY in august on a thursday around 3pm and i was the only car there for about 30 minutes then 2 more cars pulled in. I talked to the owner when I was there and he says it gets pretty busy during the weekend and is usually better to come during the weekdays. but who knows it may be less busy this weekend. Also when I went there i had to sign some papers and then they take a minute to show you how to use the lifts and any other specialty tools that you would want to use.

bace, good information. We should definitely look into calling ahead if what the owner said is true. Although to be frank, 'busier' is a relative term and it could mean 1 car or a line of cars waiting.

Of course since theres a bunch of us in a group he may be apt to reserve it for us.

Yeah, I tried reserving us some lifts as a group, but he recommended I call back tomorrow. :(

But what Bace said is dead on when I spoke with them yesterday. Weekdays are much less busy than the weekends. Sometimes people who go down to VIR stop by there, change their oils in their engines, then load up on their trailers and go down. He said it is also hit or miss. Some weekends they are wide open, some weekends they have a good amount of people on the wait list.

And yes, we will have to sign waiver forms up the wazoo as well as go through a mini class on proper uses of tools, machines, and keeping your area clean for respect to the other person in line to use the lift.

Traveling down to Sterling on a weekday is next to impossible for me, unfortunately. :( But I will be calling today and see if we can do what we want to do, or if there is an expected wait list that is already piling up.

Traveling down to Sterling on a weekday is next to impossible for me, unfortunately. :( But I will be calling today and see if we can do what we want to do, or if there is an expected wait list that is already piling up.

Did ya get a hold of them?

1.) HarryN

2.) Joe - 06Limited

3.) thefly

4.) Shawn06

5.)

6.)

7.)

Headcount for Sunday (if there is enough, I will go on Sunday as well):

1.)Joe - 06Limited (If needed)

2.) HarryN - If enough interest. I forgot to add myself here as well. LOL!

3.) thefly

4.) aferrari88

5.) TheWeatherWarrior (Jason) drive shaft, steering boot, brake pad, oil change, more?

6.)

7.)

Ok, what time do y'all wanna meet up at on Sunday?

I'm good for anytime Sunday. Saturday I'll be at the Rockville classic car show.

Yes I got a hold of them, the only thing they are telling me is they don't know yet, how busy it is going to be. Their best advice was come at opening, or come late afternoon. Same with Sunday.

I tried my best guys. :( But at this moment I am just going to keep my fingers crossed. Would you all like to get something to eat later in the area? I think it would be pretty cool to sit down and have a drink or have a good dinner afterwards. :)

so Sunday at 4:00pm....

ill cya there. think i would need any tools they wouldnt have there? im going for the spring install and you said you could help me install them right lol?

I am gonna be there Saturday at 4:00 pm. Perhaps a lot earlier on Sunday, depending on when people can come. My phone is always on too.

And sure thing with the spring install. They already have an impact wrench there, as well as a spring compressor. This will be an easy install. The other way is set the shock down, put tires on the top and bottom of the shock, remove the bolt, watch the wheel fly back an inch, pull spring off, put new spring on, have someone push down on the top hat while the guy with the impact wrench puts the bolt back on the top hat, load back up on to the car and bolt in. That's the crude way! LOL! But super fast!!

Now, one thing you should be careful of is the alignment. I highly HIGHLY recommend getting the car aligned ASAP after the install to make sure everything is good to go. We can mark the bolt positions and what not before removing. But that will not gaurantee a good alignment.

^^ dont you usually wait a week to make sure the springs settle before getting an alignment?

I just found a nail in one of my tires so I might be swinging by the diy shop on sunday morning to get that patched up. or I might just go to sears to get it done.

Sorry, I am in....busy week. I will see all of you at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow (saturday), and then we'll see how it is looking for Sunday. I am also up for sitting down and grabbing a bite to eat (preferably something reasonably priced, as I just moved to the area and am currently searching for a position).

Well everyone, we just had our first gathering at the place and Ed, the guy who runs the place, was awesome. Got our work done, all tools needed were readily available, all around awesomeness! Definitely going to be coming here again! For the people coming on Sunday, you guys are gonna LOVE this place!!!!

See the remaining people on Sunday! I am excited to go back again!

BTW everyone, today did not work out as planned, namely due to the football games today, errands, and lack of time to get some work done.

So instead, I am proposing to everyone interested that has/has not been here yet about meeting up next Saturday. I am keeping in touch with Ed about a group discount or possibly a Subaru owners club discount, though I think this may be a bit far-fetched as we'd need at least a good few more people and more than just Legacies.

We could always post something in the Mid Atlantic region of NASIOC, as it seems atleast the NOVA folks get together on a regular basis (twice a week). I would think extending this out to them would also help the case in regards of potentially obtaining a discount.

From this Friday until November 19th I will be without a car, until my wife comes out with the Legacy. Until that point I will be unable to attend any meetings, but as soon as she arrives I will gladly come out often.

I think the Outback forum forum people would be more apt to show up, and since they still have Legacies...they would be more familiar.

I did go today (Sunday) and got my brake pads and rotors swapped out (OEM replacements, no performance upgrades this time).

I did talk with HarryN on the phone and yes, I think next Saturday would be a good thing. I brought my camera, but ended up not taking any pictures except one with the while and rotor off at the rear left. I want to get lots of pictures, mostly for a guide, and some for how-to sections (I'll make them public domain photos). I too still need to take car of the drive shaft. I left my Hayes Repair manual and had limited funds (cash only today) which meant limited time on the lift.

DIY place is really nice, ED and Ryne are great. They helped me a few times with questions I had. I also was soooo wrong about how hard it would be to get there. I found that from anywhere in upper Monkey Co., MD a quick drive around the beltway and up Rt.123/Georgetown Pike which takes you direct to Rt. 7 just a few miles to Hwy 1794.

Driving I believe only took me 40 minutes. It was more like 1.25 hrs on the way home, but that was due to heavy traffic on I-495 (cleared up mostly on I-270).

Archived