LegacyGT.com

torque converter installation 98 outback

Hello;

I am at the point in my rebuild where I am placing the torque converter on the transmission drive shaft. I replaced the seal and tried to line up the slots in the converter to the keys on the shaft. I noticed that the torque converter has one slot at .422" and one at .429. I cannot measure the keys on the shaft. It also appears that with one of the keys on the shaft it looks like some sort of snap ring tab. When I put the converter on the shaft it slides on, but seems like it should mesh with the keys and slide on a little bit further. Any good (fool-proof) methods to put the converter on? thank you, Ken

the one time i pulled one apart the torque converter came out attached to the tube by the snap ring. inside the tube but sticking out longer than the tube was the shaft.

i never got a chance to work with it and take it apart more , some one stole everything i had in the shed. but the snap ring holds the TC to the tube. i would assemble the TC, tube and shaft before sliding it into the trans.

by the way, the bolt "ears" on the TC should be almost flush with the trans bel housing, (only about 1/8 inch exposed) before you try to install the trans.

when installing the trans, it should mate with the engine completely before you install the bolts.

DO NOT USE THE BOLTS TO PULL THE TRANS UP TO THE ENGINE HOUSING.

if the TC is not fully seated, and if you have not done it before it can fool you, and you bolt it up, you will crush the trans oil pump effectively destroying your trans.

thank you for answering the torque converter post, good suggestions, I will try them out. I have not found an expolded view of the transmission, If anyone has one, I could put it to good use. So, it sounds like I should pull the shaft and tube (and snap ring) and assemble the torque converter with them. I looked inside the tube and saw only one end of the snap ring, should it have 2 that I can remove it?

Archived