LegacyGT.com

Something you have NEVER seen before

I guess it was stupid for Subaru to put the turbo under the car then as well?

I guess the forums should just be ripe with 2010+ LGTs with damaged turbos due to running over rocks or things.:confused:

My buddy says he has a friend that bottomed out his bros turbo after putting down 700whp on a Cobb Dyno bro. So this is ass retarded yo. Go JDM or go home.

Edit: I love UFC submissions!!!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I will get a plate on there eventually.

/\ wrong, I can replace rock shilds all day long, but you would have to replace a whole turbo and hand made plumbing.

well while you are replacing your shilds all day, I'll just not drive over large rocks

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

well while you are replacing your shilds all day, I'll just not drive over large rocks

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/41606_2200911249_8681_n.jpg

Someone say rocks?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

This may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What about water? If the turbo is hot and you hit a big puddle, is there risk of cracking the turbo housing?

The 2010s have solved this issue with a simple under tray. Like an AEM CAI, a little water is fine and normal. A LOT is never a good idea.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

It's like soap on the intercooler. It will melt and fall off.

A turbo housing has enough mass that a splash shouldn't hurt it. The first water bits that hit the turbo turn to steam instantly and this steam layer actually protects the turbo from the rest of the splash. It won't loose enough heat to cause a stress fracture.

That being said, it's still possible, but the skid plate I'm going to eventually make will lessen the chances.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The biggest concern, with the turbo exposed, is parking over a large pile of dead leaves. The risk of fire is pretty big for something like that. Or an oil leak. It might not be a bad idea to weld tabs onto the header pipes, and fabricate an upper heat-shield between the turbo and the block. That way the chances of an errant oil leak hitting the housing is slim.

The only thing worse than causing a dead-leaf fire, is a combustible liquids fire.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The biggest concern, with the turbo exposed, is parking over a large pile of dead leaves. The risk of fire is pretty big for something like that. Or an oil leak. It might not be a bad idea to weld tabs onto the header pipes, and fabricate an upper heat-shield between the turbo and the block. That way the chances of an errant oil leak hitting the housing is slim.

The only thing worse than causing a dead-leaf fire, is a combustible liquids fire.

OOH I really like your "welding tabs onto header for heat shield" idea. More of a debris shield than a heat shield since heat will just rise and cook the engine bay. Wasn't sure where to bolt on an actual shield. Too obvious, saving that one.

A burning pile of leaves would be out as fast as it starts if things are still like when I was a kid, and I'm just guessing that fire would be relatively not terribly hot compared to peak operating temperature. If everything is relatively well protected as it should be, so again this gets filed into the "What if" folder along with large boulders people always leave in the middle of each lane only when they see Mike's black Outback coming, nevermind his miny person car is much lower.

I've seen a few cases of cars catching vegetation on fire. It's not a pretty sight. Imagine parking at a trailhead, going for a hike, and coming back to fire trucks and police officers.

The real concern is, of course, oil leaks. This is typically the cause of most car fires, one I've seen first hand. I REALLY think it's a good idea to have some shielding to protect against that.

It's also a good idea to keep an ABC fire extinguisher in the car, but that is a given with any modified vehicle.

Good grief. Give credit to where credit is due. Look at his spool and power at 5200'. I'm sure he will sort out how to shield his work.

No doubt. This is a beautiful power band! His setup makes NO LESS POWER than mine (same dyno) up to 3900rpms then just kills it hard after that. The power here b/w 3000-7000rpms is awesome. Mike, overlay a hta68 or some other known turbo with your plot (use mine if you want) to illustrate the point. For 430+whp, this low end is incredible.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I happened to see your car on the lift when I was at the shop tuning my Evo. Harvey pointed out what you were up to and I was truly impressed. I liked the setup in person a lot and this answers my curiosity of how it would do. Good job all around.

So the headers get a bit hotter than I thought they would....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQgeOJHlGQ]YouTube - Hot Headers[/ame]

I think V2 needs a step up in wall thickness and pipe diameter. Well, guess we'll just see how long it lasts. Been driving around it is a beast on the street.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That looks like normal heat to me. Look at the exhaust housing of your turbo on a cool night after a hard pull. It glows cherry... 3 feet from the exhaust ports.

Steel gets hot, and changes color. That color puts EGT's likely in the 800C range, which isn't too bad. It might be a problem for times in the 100 second range, but that isn't very likely to see those temps for that long.

Consider that the pipes got almost double that temperature when you welded them together.

Very cool! And seems normal, check out the new EFR setup get that hot...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPln7U0gy78&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Cosworth Subaru Borg Warner EFR Turbo Test[/ame]

F1 cars are as far from daily driving as me flying to the moon. Cosworth doesn't appear to be doing a typical street car test there either. Full Race uses thick gauge steel tubing for a reason.

F1 cars are as far from daily driving as me flying to the moon. Cosworth doesn't appear to be doing a typical street car test there either. Full Race uses thick gauge steel tubing for a reason.

For the record I hate it when we agree :mad:

Full Race uses thick gauge steel tubing for a reason.

I don't think it matters how thick the steel is, if steel gets to a certain temp it will glow red.

Thicker steel might take longer to heat-soak totally and glow, but it still will.

So if your header glows red right now on a street pull through to 3rd gear, thicker steel will likely make it glow when you do a street pull through 4th.

Archived