LegacyGT.com

help - exhaust emergency

Ok, I bought a used downpipe from a forum member. ERZ catted, fit pretty well all things considered. The first problem was that it came with a v-band flange at one end. No problem, I got a two bolt flange, mounted up the DP to my car and was going to mark where the new flange should go rotation wise, take the DP back off, take it to a muffler shop tomorrow and have them put the flange on. Well, once I got it mounted up, I noticed that the DP is about 6" short of making it to the stock CBE. Damn...

So my question to everyone is:

Can I drive my car about 3 miles tomorrow down to the muffler shop without damaging anything? I'm stage 1 right now with OTS cobb map for california gas. I can take surface streets and stay out of boost.

Will the heat from the exhaust hurt the underside of the car at all? I know this is probably fine as I want to put a exhaust cutout on my car at some point and it must work if a cutout works. I'm going to go out to the garage and finish putting the intercooler back on.

Hopefully I'll have some responses in the morning saying I'm just being paranoid and it's fine to drive down, even hitting boost :) I would love to hear what it sounds like open at the DP so I know if I even want to go to a cutout or not.

Thanks!

hehe, I know, I'm kinda excited. I'm a totally tame person. Planning on leaving on my stock CBE so it's quiet etc. I think it will be fun to be the loud guy for a morning.

Should I flash my car to stage 2 now that I have it on?

Oh to answer your earlier question, the v-band looks like this: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=321&osCsid=b87ffe3534a2845964cf291c681f0e7f and has a clamp that looks like this: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=315&osCsid=b87ffe3534a2845964cf291c681f0e7f to hold them together. Whomever used this pipe last obviously mated it up to a CBE that required it to be shorter and use the vband connection.

i beleive that the shorter dp's are for a different model car. if im not mistaken i think the 02-07 wrx use the same dp its just about half a foot shorter. youll be in for a treat with the open dp, def flash stage 2 youll be fine for the day

LOL... That was out of control. I took the freeway and EVERYONE gave me the stink eye that I passed. Luckily the guy down the street is a "resto-rodder" and most of his street rods sound more or less like that. I'm sure all of my neighbors just thought it was him, not me :)

Hopefully I can get the exhaust shop to squeeze me in today!

I drove my old Legacy with an open 3" catless downpipe for nearly 5 months. It was awesome.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ok, just got done getting a little more pipe welded onto the DP and the right flange attached. Now it's all back together and sounds like stock again. I'm definitely going to put a e-cutout on it!

Just ordered a DMH cutout. $199 for the complete kit. Totally worth it.

BTW, I saw an old post asking about "flowtech race ready". It's the piece of pipe they have that is fabbed up already into a Y. The black piece of pipe in the pictures on the website. For $20 I figured it was worth it.

Archived