LegacyGT.com

REBUILT 05 Subaru Legacy -- thoughts?

Peteski

Like a recent poster, I've got my eye on an 05 Subaru Legacy wagon with a rebuilt title. Car's been fixed up pretty, and the price is right (about .50 on the Blue Book dollar). And seller said the airbag did not deploy. But I'm still thinking about problems that might be lurking in the frame.

Here are two pics before the car was patched up. Thoughts? All would appreciated.

image001.jpg.751e87f4bdadebedbfee3e9c469f3050.jpg

image002.jpg.d02d63060c2a741cdcf44bb940c03d58.jpg

I would have it checked by a professional, even if it costs a few hundred dollars it will be worth it in the end. You may not be able to tell if the unibody is tweaked a little but they will. That isn't something that you want to find out down the road when its too late.

Agreed with FLlegacy. If the frame has been put nice and straight (or better yet it was never bent or twisted) then you're way ahead. If they didn't do that right I wouldn't trust the rest of it.

good luck,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

The damages look minor as far as bent frame concerns go, looks like a simple swap panels job. I rear ended someone with my '05 wagon last winter, damage was WAY worse than that, no airbag deployed, and they were able to basically unbolt the front end (bumper, fenders, hood, wheel well liners, under engine skidplate, grille, headlights, etc), and put new parts on. The worst part was the rad fan was pushed into the crank pulley, so the pulley and both fans needed to be replaced after the repairs were though to be done. No long lasting effects though, it was fixed with OEM parts and is better than when I bought it.

Make sure they used OEM headlights though, they tried sticking a TYC housing on it and the cutoff had a rainbow look to it compared to the OEM housing on the other side, got that changed out as I wasn't happy with it.

You'll be able to tell a tweaked frame from any paint ripples or cracks or wavy body panels due to energy transfer in the uni-body set up. It's pretty hard to hide that. Mine was rear ended and fixed prior to me purchasing it but still only paid 5gs CDN. The purchase order came to my parts department so I know they only replaced the bumper cover.

Archived