LegacyGT.com

Battery relocation

Th3Franz

I've been running the original battery in my car since I bought it. So, it's been over 6 years now. :lol: It's not doing so great, so I am thinking about getting a new lightweight battery, similar to the one in this thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lightweight-battery-installation-20-lbs-front-120650.html?t=120650

But, I want to take it one step further and relocate the battery. I haven't looked really closely yet, but either behind the rear seat or in the spare tire well in the trunk.

Why relocate the battery? A few reasons..

-I'm electrically inclined. It wouldn't be difficult to run a large fused wire from the trunk area to the engine bay.

-Better weight distribution. -40 lbs off the front of the car while adding 20 lbs or so to the middle and back in wire, mount, and battery.

-I'm due for a new battery anyway, so it's the perfect time to do this.

-Heat is a battery killer. Getting the battery out of the engine bay will improve the longevity, even for sealed AGM batteries.

Any input on where I should mount the battery in the middle or rear (trunk) of the car?

I think I'll get either an Odyssey PC680 or their ER30 racing battery. The ER30 is more expensive but it's extremely heavy duty and has the most CCA of any other 20 lb battery. It gets pretty cold here. :lol:

I plan on using the flat braided cable on mine. That will make it easy to fasten to the car as you can separate the braid and use a screw/washer at any point in the cable, which will also serve to help ground the system at numerous points along the cable. When I get close to the computer I plan to solder a smaller piece of braided cable into the larger main braided cable and run it directly to the computer....

Download Vlc Player

• 3 months later...

1. You don't have to run the ground to the front of the car.

2. Moving the battery will make no difference in handling, at least not on a car that a V-6 mustang will destroy at the track ;)

3. Those little batteries are a really bad idea anywhere and especially anywhere in Wisconsin

4. If you think 6 years is too short of a battery life, you are nuts :)

Relocating a battery

For now I am leaving it in the engine bay. I wrapped the battery in heat reflective tape and got a nice mount for it. It has more CCA and capacity than the OEM battery. :lol:

And I heard about those V6 mustangs.. I'll really wish I had a Spec B now! :lol:

I got a DEKA ETX-18L, so it least it's not a wimpy 10 lb battery

-Better weight distribution.

-Heat is a battery killer. Getting the battery out of the engine bay will improve the longevity, even for sealed AGM batteries.

Why do you want to spend extra money on a LW battery to put the weight back in the car with long wire? Are you corner-weight balancing your car? Could your engine bay get hot enough to damage a battery when the first one lasted six years? If you are concerned about heat why not wrap the turbo/dp/etc?

EDIT: leaving it in the engine bay was a good call considering your goals.

Archived