LegacyGT.com

High Power Reverse Light Options?

All -

Has anyone explored super bright reverse lamps yet? I know it's been done with 3rd gen wagons, but what about 4th gen sedans?

I considered running power to the rear, and thought about adding a light right above the rear tow hook, looking similar to a Mini Cooper (non S version).

My photochop:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_xQq-AV61sp0/TKDbcpN8vNI/AAAAAAAAGZY/3NsfLsRZ7MQ/s720/reverse.jpg

Are there any others out there?

V-LEDs has a license plate frame, but is there a no-drill option to get the wiring into the trunk lid?

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/License-Plate-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HIGH-POWER-18W-p7516915.html

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Not sure why you would need this.... BUT you can remove the interior panels from your trunklid and see the plastic screw holders. We have 4, so you could pop one out and use it, not sure how the license plate thing works.

I only know this because I screwed up those plastic things and had to replace them :mad: Open your trunk and look around.....

Also I am fairly sure the bottom piece of the trunk is plastic, so drilling wouldn't be such a big deal as far as rusting...

Any pics of the fog lamp^?

I'd love to see it installed.

here's the lamp instelf:

http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/products/med/lights/hella_ff_75_light_kit.jpg

really? i just got silverstar bulbs from autozone they are very bright. i dont see the need for anything brighter at all.

REALLY.

Well, not to be a dick, but the question wasn't whether or not you found the stock light bright enough, but options on making it brighter.

Anyone try to run HIDs in the stock housing?

Pop out your Subaru logo and put it in there, then get a tinted lens fabbed up the same size. Tie it to you rev lights, but put a manual override for thos a**holes that feel the need to pull up on you at 85 when you are in the right lane.

Wow, that is super bright! I want brighter, just for better visibility. But I'd have it on a switch, so I can have light on demand. You know, for hooking up a trailer at night or something.

Actually, I do that pretty often.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Scruit, what lamp is that?

----

DrSpeed: regarding the HIDs in the reverse lights its not feasible as the HIDs need time to heat up to reach their operating temp so unless you want to wait for them to get bright enough i dont think they would be what your looking for.

^ I agree, but look at this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-other-ride-vortech-supercharged-srt8-jeep-145704p4.html

Frankly, I'm surprised by how much usable light there appears to be, from the get-go.

----

I mounted a Hella FF75 fog lamp on the rear of my wagon, on the bottom of the bumper, offset a little to the left.

^ How many lights do you have on that car?!!! :p:wub:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Scruit, what lamp is that?

----

^ I agree, but look at this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-other-ride-vortech-supercharged-srt8-jeep-145704p4.html

Frankly, I'm surprised by how much usable light there appears to be, from the get-go.

----

^ How many lights do you have on that car?!!! :p:wub:

That's actually where I got the idea. My buddy has a GC SRT8, and I hooked him up with the HIDs, and that's what I need to have in the reverse lamps!

I have them in my truck, in a PIAA 1400 housing.

Yeah, it takes a while to warm up, but from the get go, they are still brighter than any lamp out there.

^ I'd considered going that route, but for me, I think I might see some trouble with the electronics of the HID kit and/or go through bulbs at a relatively fast pace, given my reversing needs, which also do not mesh well with the warm-up cycle of the HIDs.

I usually need a 3 or 4-point turn to "face out" my vehicle for the night, and what's more, if I don't land the way I want to, in my abbreviated garage space (due to storage), I'll end up engaging reverse yet one more time.

For me, slightly brighter halogens is really all I needed.

I think that for the right application, though, HIDs would be a great solution.

Even with that said, I can still see the utility of a center-mounted wide-dispersal, ultra-bright fixture - LED, incandescent, or otherwise. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ You're gonna need another battery! :lol:

Whoa, is that 40 (forty!) 3-watt stars???? :eek:

At first, I was gonna say that I'd just strap a few of my custom and high-end production flashlights (incandescent and LED) out-back, but then I realized that I'd be well over the cost of that particular setup. :lol:

Besides, my flashlights, even if I fudged the optics (a few I'd just run without their heads), still would not produce a pattern that's optimal.

Better-off just buying that sucker, instead.....

^ I'd considered going that route, but for me, I think I might see some trouble with the electronics of the HID kit and/or go through bulbs at a relatively fast pace, given my reversing needs, which also do not mesh well with the warm-up cycle of the HIDs.

I usually need a 3 or 4-point turn to "face out" my vehicle for the night, and what's more, if I don't land the way I want to, in my abbreviated garage space (due to storage), I'll end up engaging reverse yet one more time.

For me, slightly brighter halogens is really all I needed.

I think that for the right application, though, HIDs would be a great solution.

Even with that said, I can still see the utility of a center-mounted wide-dispersal, ultra-bright fixture - LED, incandescent, or otherwise. :)

I've had to hustle my truck into tight places, which meant sawing the shifter back and forth from R to L (they are on opposite sides of the H gate) when parallel parking.

All that abuse, and the ballasts and capsules still work fine.

And stop being a J3W....it costs like $40 to replace them nowadays if you buy an el cheapo kit.

LEDs are ideal for BU lamps, better than HID, and better than halogen. No start up delay as with HID, and no capsule darkening as with halogens.

These should be bright enough:)

http://www.visionxusa.com/p327/22%22_XMITTER_LED_BAR_BLACK_FORTY_3-WATT_LED&%2339S_FLOOD_BEAM/product_info.html

I would have to remove nearly all the bumper between the exhaust pipes to make that sumbich fit!!! :lol:

Archived