LegacyGT.com

thoughts on a 2011 Audi S4

I want some opinions

What do you guys think of the Audi S4?

I know its got a supercharged 3.0 V6.

but how about reliability?

is there a new one coming out soon?

any other car that we should look at?

I was thinking about the legacy wagon, but I really do not like the styling of the 5th gen.

This is for my folks in Hong Kong, and so will be getting the S4 avant.

I could lay down some facts and first hand knowledge about them. However I'm getting lazy and don't feel like getting in a 2 or 3 day e-war about how VAG products are the worst cars ever and someone's friend's, sister's, husband's, boss bought one used in 03 and while at the track the clutch went so he over revved it and blew out the turbos on a car that was chipped with full exhaust.

I'm just not that patient anymore.

I've driven a 2010 S4 with the technology package (whatever their super-rear-diff is packaged with). Besides the fact that is nimbler, faster, handles better and is more technology -packed than my Stage 2 LGT with LSDs all around and a top-notch Car PC; the car actually burns less fuel and is slightly bigger rear-seat wise. So if you have the cash for it, it is every bit the car that a Subaru is not. And then some.

• 2 weeks later...
I could lay down some facts and first hand knowledge about them. However I'm getting lazy and don't feel like getting in a 2 or 3 day e-war about how VAG products are the worst cars ever and someone's friend's, sister's, husband's, boss bought one used in 03 and while at the track the clutch went so he over revved it and blew out the turbos on a car that was chipped with full exhaust.

I'm just not that patient anymore.

Yea it sucks when you make cars with a million problems and then try to make better cars a couple years later. The damage to your rep is done. Like most American companies. :rolleyes: Only difference is Audi charges out the ass for everything

The g/f wants to buy one next year. There's an auto mall near me with their own private track, so I got to get on it pretty good when we test drove it. Unfortunately the only cars on the lot were 7spd S-Tronic equipped, which is actually pretty damn good.

The power is very linear, as to be expected for a supercharged car. It pulls pretty hard for having me (285lbs) and two passengers in it. I'd say it was as quick or slightly quicker than my well tuned stg2 car with the same amount of people in it. Quickness is pretty much the only comparison though.

The car handles amazingly well for being such a porker. I didn't play around with the suspension settings or sport differential cause quite frankly I didn't even think about it until after. Unless the settings in that particular car were set on Sport by memory or if Sport engages when the transmission is put into manumatic mode, the car was on comfort. Anyways, turn in was pretty sharp and it transitioned pretty well through the S curve with minimal roll.

The brake pedal wasn't too stiff. It had a nice progressive feel to it. When you wanted to stop, you'd stop in a hurry.

I don't have any experience with the 6spd yet but the S-Tronic was surprisingly good. The paddle shifters are well sized so your fingers don't have to search for them if you go for a gear change mid turn. Upshifts and downshifts are a lot quicker than anyone could ever do with a standard.

The big downside to the car is the direct injection issue that faces all of Audi's FSI engined cars (aside from a few models/engine choices). At this point Audi still has yet to admit there is a problem with the DI. Audi's response is that low grade fuel is causing the problem. They are in a tight spot because this affects just about their whole range of cars, so basically they'd have to put a stop sale on everything, retro fit all of the cars on lots and of course the customers' cars. Other manufacturers have sorted out the DI issue, so I would imagine Audi will figure it out also.

It's one hell of a car. Initial price and cost of long term ownership are obviously the big issues. Honestly, the only thing this car needs is an exhaust and a reflash. AWE's car made 410 corrected hp with just a reflash. I saw a video of a reflashed B8 S4 pulling a E92 M3. That's all kinds of awesome.

The big downside to the car is the direct injection issue that faces all of Audi's FSI engined cars (aside from a few models/engine choices). At this point Audi still has yet to admit there is a problem with the DI. Audi's response is that low grade fuel is causing the problem. They are in a tight spot because this affects just about their whole range of cars, so basically they'd have to put a stop sale on everything, retro fit all of the cars on lots and of course the customers' cars. Other manufacturers have sorted out the DI issue, so I would imagine Audi will figure it out also.

Almost true. So far the biggest problem that we've seen with the 3.0T is the water pumps would leak. There is a campaign already out to replace them. Other then that we haven't seen the misfire problem come up on them. The 3.2L seems to be the problem child and that's pretty narrowed down to the 06-08s mainly. We've done several reflashes on them, manual intake port cleanings, some cars got new cylinder heads, The newest thing is yet another reflash.

Most people (myself included) believe the problem is cause by a fault crankcase breather system. What happens is large amounts of sludge deposits form in the intake ports. Normally a fuel injector is placed in the intake ports and the pressurized fuel would wash this stuff away. Problem is there isn't an injector in the intake port on an FSI engine.

Audi seems to still have this problem because all of our engines are FSI. Other manufacturer's still have the same problems as us, but they don't have the same amount of cars with FSI on the road. I know for fact that Ford, MB, BMW, and Porsche still have these problems with their cars.

Archived