LegacyGT.com

How do I know if I need new strut mounts?

usedtobeaJusty

I have about 80k on my factory suspension and am getting ready to replace the struts with KYB units. I have no reason to believe the strut mounts are having any problems, but if I need to do them, I'd rather do it while I have it all apart.

FYI - this is my commuter car so I'm looking to keep cost down, reliability up and mechanical down time to a minimum.

i just replaced my front struts and the strut mounts/bearings were toast. one was siezed and the other was close. this was at 150,000 miles, but i have only had the car for 2.5yrs. the bearings in the mounts do wear out. they were about $80 a piece. i would suggest just replacing at the same time, or at least have them around. when you pull your old ones out check them and repalce as necessary. just wouldnt make sense to upgrade struts but use worn out top hats. my set up is now quieter and smoother as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, that's usually how it goes. I just ordered a full set of Sensa Trac struts (they have a buy 3 get one free sale through the end of the month so it was cheaper than the KYB struts) and I ordered strut mounts all the way around. I figure that's my best insurance against having to rip it all apart again as I rack up the mileage.

Archived