LegacyGT.com

Oil Filters and ATF-HP

Been reading a lot about oil filters. I would stay with the oem filter for my 05 LGT but my local dealer is ridiculous with their prices. Plus, when I asked for a price on the Subaru ATF-HP trans fluid, the service manager said why use that expensive stuff, they use regular Dexron. I need to do the ATF also but will look elsewhere for the ATF-HP.

Have heard and read good things about the Mobil 1 filters, M1-108, and K and N. What do you all think about the Wix 51365 and PureOne PL14612?

Which would you choose?

How about where to get the ATF-HP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wix filter and pureone filters are both very good. If you're condering wix, also consider napa gold since its the exact same thing with a different paint job. In the past I've always used filters like wix and napa gold, but with my subaru I've decided to stick to oem. The only reason is because of the bypass valve pressure differences. I think oem subaru has a bypass valve setting of 23psi, while other oil filters have the setting at anywhere from 8-16psi. Some say it doesn't matter, but I say oil filters don't really matter either, so I'd rather run the filter which abides by subaru's specs.

If you think Subaru's price on oil filters is ridiculous, wait until you price out the ATF filter.

Amsoil specs out the same filter for both engine and transmission, so I wouldn't bother getting one from Subaru. Whatever you choose for the engine should work for both.

Honestly, I have taken six different brand filters apart recently and you should run the OE subaru filter. Mobil 1 filters are a joke, don't use it. Purolator doesn't have half the flow area thru the small inlet holes as the OE does, and has a peculiar type of relief valve I have never seen before. Napa Gold wasn't impressing me taken apart either. Everyone is scared of the suby filter because Honeywell/Fram makes them for Subaru, but the (Fram) has little, if any resemblence to the Subaru one inside.

Amsoil specs out the same filter for both engine and transmission, so I wouldn't bother getting one from Subaru. Whatever you choose for the engine should work for both.

That scares me. Do you think Subaru would go thru the time and resources to produce a different filter for both when they could use one number for both?

Any thoughts on the K&N filters? Seems that a lot of people like them but how many people really take them apart and have them analyzed?

Huge waste of money in my opinion. Out of all "botique" oil filters, K&N is probably the last one I would buy.

Go to Fred Bean Parts at: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/maintenance.html?subaru=272&search=vehicledrilldown&p=4

They have 6 filter plus washers for $35. There is S/H cost though. I just ordered parts from them and they have good prices and very knowledgable.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/100x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/6/p/6pack002.jpg Subaru Oil Filters & Washers - 6 Pack

Price: $35.00

You save $19.06!

SKU: PK6PACK

Archived