LegacyGT.com

Intercooler Blowing up.

yep. a good search and you will see its nothing uncommon for those running stage II. your choices are

1) JB weld the shit out of the tabs

2) time for an upgraded TMIC.

3) buy my stock OEM TMIC that i have for sale in here. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oh-oem-parts-145023.html?t=145023

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

When this started, did you notice any noise under the hood? Or did you just look at it one day?
Here's proof: Just 1 minute after buying my OBXT, I had 7 phone calls from insanely hot women, and got 7 dates out of it. Coincidence? I think not.

I am either going to try to make the IPR top mount I bought awhile ago fit again, or JB Weld my stocker. I couldn't find a walk through in a brief search. Should I pop all the tabs, pull the end tank, and JB weld between the end tank and metal body, or just clamp the tabs back down that popped out and apply JB weld on the exterior seam?

When this started, did you notice any noise under the hood? Or did you just look at it one day?

I was home after I got my tune and then took a friend for a 1-2-3 gear pull. Huge blowing up noise when I shifted into 3rd. That's my dyno graph pushing 16psi. Very conservative tune.... :/

791211806_Stage2Graph.jpg.60d4a6f705264d4fd139749d438e4e00.jpg

Ha! I had the same thing last week. The blowing up noise was the IC to TB hose blowing off the throttle body I think, though. A boost leak test also showed me a leak on the passenger side of the intercooler end tank that I missed in my visual inspection. Two or three tabs popped up slightly on the bottom side of the intercooler.

haa, when i took my girl in for a road tune they did a check for boost leaks by removing the air filter and hooking up a rubber boobie with a schraeder valve and found 5 leaks i think it was. somehow the rubber gasket on the stock BOV was gone.. a hose clamp under the TMIC was loose, two other things i forget and the seams on my stock intercooler were hissing. tightened it all up and crimped the seams back down and that fixed that. I think the seams are giving out again. Really need to get me a Perrin and call it a day, the shop even said they'd retune me for free once i got one.

It's not really that horrible, the stock system was just never designed to boost the pressure that these pop at. The manufacturers don't necessarily design components for what people might possibly do with them.

Plastic, while seeming lame, won't absorb underhood heat like the all-aluminum upgraded TMICs will. Also, check out the design of the stock TMIC and how it does not sit above the turbo. Now look at upgraded TMICs... Where do you think all of that heat rising from the turbo is going to go? Yep, it's going to get absorbed in the aluminum hot-side endtank...

Archived