LegacyGT.com

05 OBXT Rogue Vac Line

I have an 05 Outback XT and am replacing the turbo due to banjo bolt failure:mad::mad:

I am doing it myself to save on the shop labor costs with help from some friends. The downfall as we all know is sometimes things aren't always taken apart properly and I have a rogue vacuum line by the wastegate. I'm not sure where it goes (if anywhere) or if it just gets capped. I don't know anyone around that has an LGT or XT to take the engine cover off and look.

One of my friends owns a garage and has ShopKey, but the schematics and diagrams don't seem to help any.

Anyone have any pictures to aid in the process?? Wastegate, recirc valve, and wastegate solenoid valve line pictures would be great. Thanks in advance.

not helping much I guess...

P1153 O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (High) Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0171 Fuel trim malfunction (A/F too lean)

Found this thread as well mentioning the same codes plus another one. They changed the O2 sensors and all went well..

That'd be nice if you would also provide a picture a bit zoomed out so we can better tell where you are pointing in reference to the turbo. Though a pro working on turbos would easily answer your questions. I am not a pro at turbos......yet :spin:

I'll get another picture this evening of a broader view. Thanks for the reply.

And PS- you don't want to be a turbo pro. Just rolled over 102k on my XT and I just installed turbo 3. Stay out of that game. Haha

And PS- you don't want to be a turbo pro. Just rolled over 102k on my XT and I just installed turbo 3. Stay out of that game. Haha

^lol. why 3 though? all dead from banjo bolts? btw, your xt looks exactly the same as mine at least on the outside :).

Being new to the turbo platform of Subaru (I had a 97 and 03 outback before) I never knew of the banjo bolt. Turbo 1 went (I'm assuming it was original) so I found a turbo on the forums for $150 with 16k miles. 100 miles into it and it was totally destroyed. I mean totally destroyed. Shaft play of 1/2" plus. Even though it ate 2 turbos, I was only out like $200. Got a new banjo bolt (that the dealer had in stock :D) and installed the new turbo. All is good now minus the vac line. I absolutely LOVE my wagon. Nobody understands why I flew 1200 miles to pick it up.

Nobody understands why I flew 1200 miles to pick it up.

^I understand! I bought mine in Utah where I lived. Drove it to LA. Shipped it by boat to Norway. And now driving it here in the high north (69N lat). Then will drive it in France (and autobahn too) most likely and perhaps will bring it back to the US (I did not pay a thing to bring it here ;)). Soooo, I understand!

So basically, if you had checked your banjo bolt, you could have still been using your original turbo. Dang banjo bolt...

ok ok. back to the vac line. waiting for another pic. it may help the 'pros' on this forum.

maybe this link will help you. This is the breakdown of the intake duct showing all the vacuum hoses around the area you're pointing at. You may be able to use the process of elimination to identify that hose. Hope this helps..

edit: I've been starring at the schematic for about 20mn now LOL. I am pretty sure it is vacuum hose (12). If it is, then there is no T on it; meaning this (extra) vac line should be plugged (maybe it was used for like boost gauge?????). Again though, I am NOT a pro at this stuff. So this is ONLY my humble 2 cents. still learning that stuff :)

Your 2 cents goes a long way. Can't figure out why shopkey didn't have that exact diagram! Thank you for the link and I'll check it out tomorrow. 12 does look like it's right minus the tee.

^ Well, I am glad it is helping you. thanks for the compliment :). Let us know how it goes. Who is 'shopkey'?

On another note, the previous CEL codes you are mentioning are showing up AFTER having installed the new turbo AND with this extra vac line opened?

Shopkey is a $15000 SnapOn diagnostic software. Diagrams, exploded views, electrical schematics, (almost) everything you need to make a repair is in the program. Codes came after the turbo was installed, but the mechanic says they point to the vac line. We will see. Thanks again for the help.

OK I see. Yeah, I remember having to pay a freaking 100 bucks just for them to plug that 15000 $ device to check the status of my airbag system...It took them 2 minutes.

Anyway. I get it now. OK. Hope you'll get everything sorted out.

Archived