LegacyGT.com

Paint bubbling, rust forming....

I don't know peeps....seems like Subaru would decent enough to cover it since it is 5 years or unlimited mileage...take to a dealer and check. It never hurts to ask and all they can say is NO!

Common misconception. The corrosion warranties cover PERFORATION not surface rust. If he had a hole rusted THROUGH the fender it would be covered otherwise, no dice.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been 6 years and I still have mines on. I went to take it off and was shocked to see no rust or any signs of rusting. I just wiped and cleaned the best I could on the inside lip and put the rubber back on. I really wanted to just take it off but that lip is just way to thin and scary to leave exposed to all the dirt/rain/snow etc. I'll just check and clean it every year.

How long is the paint/rust perforation warranty on these? Thought it was 10 years or perhaps even lifetime. Might be worth getting it checked out by the dealer.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

don't waste any real money trying to get that fixed. A few hundred maybe if you want, but not $1k.

The shop told you the right thing. The rust is forming at the seam, and likely coming from inside the welds to the outside. You can sand it down and repaint it, but the rust has "infected" the panel and will come back eventually.

Common misconception. The corrosion warranties cover PERFORATION not surface rust. If he had a hole rusted THROUGH the fender it would be covered otherwise, no dice.

I would imagine it is a case by case basis....if you're nice to them they'll most likely be nice to you. For example, Flatiron's Subaru fixed two rust spots on my car both under the warranty. NOTE: my was surface rust (bubbling under paint not perforated) near the seams in the trunk water track. Like I said...never hurts to try and ask. However, you are correct based on the legalese...https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2006.html

don't waste any real money trying to get that fixed. A few hundred maybe if you want, but not $1k.

The shop told you the right thing. The rust is forming at the seam, and likely coming from inside the welds to the outside. You can sand it down and repaint it, but the rust has "infected" the panel and will come back eventually.

Good advice. There is a reason rust like this is called cancer by those in the biz. Either live with it, or be prepared to move on to something else. If it were me I would choose the later.

How long is the paint/rust perforation warranty on these? Thought it was 10 years or perhaps even lifetime. Might be worth getting it checked out by the dealer.

Rust warranty is only 5 years. I skipped the dealer and went right to Subaru Corporate. This is the reply I got:

"Dear Mr. Lambrecht:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. I regret that concerns regarding your vehicle prompted your contact to us but I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance to you.

First let me say that I'm very excited to hear that you have owned 3 Subaru vehicles to date. That is truly terrific and we thank you for your continued loyalty.

However, I'm truly quite sorry to hear that your 2005 Subaru Legacy GT has been experiencing an issue with rust and the paint bubbling. As you may know, the life expectancy of any mechanical device is subject to many considerations. Every automobile at some time during its usage will arrive at a condition which calls for minor and sometimes even major repair work. The Warranty Policy is designed for the protection of the purchaser from defects in the material or workmanship. As you know, however, this warranty has expired.

While we understand your disappointment and frustration with repairs, I am sorry we are unable to provide you with any assistance on these repairs. We do appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously. I will be documenting this information in Customer/Dealer Services database system to put on record. This information is then shared with our Product Development Department for further review to continually improve our products. Your feedback does make a difference and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Should you have any additional questions or if I can be of further assistance, please feel free to E-mail me back or contact me at 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783). Thank you and have a great day!"

So I guess I get to have a great day while my car rusts around me..... I don't think I will go Subaru next time. This is the first new car I have ever owned in 22 years of driving, and the only one to rust on me. and some of my cars were already old by the time I got them, and no visible rust.

Your last comment makes me wonder if this was somehow damaged in shipment/pre-delivery and was improperly repaired to start with. Have had a lot of Subarus over the years, and can tell you that I've not had one rusting and crusting like that, even after numerous salted winter weather assaults on it.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

One shop I went to for an estimate was going to cut out the rusted piece and weld in a patch panel. I know rust is a cancer for cars, but (hopefully) if they do the job right, you should be able to cut it out and not have any future problems, just like restoring any old car. Even if I had to pay $1500 to get it cut out, re-painted, and repaired properly, it would still be cheaper than buying a new car (with a $400/month car payment). That is really the only reason I have been looking to get it repaired rather than just scrap the car and buy a new one (plus there aren't many that I like out right now that are in my price range....). and I only have 83,000 miles, so hopefully the engine will still last for awhile. I was hoping to get another 3-4 years out of the car, but if I leave the rust unchecked, I think it will eventually be un-sellable or un-tradeable when I eventually get a new car.

-Neil

Your last comment makes me wonder if this was somehow damaged in shipment/pre-delivery and was improperly repaired to start with. Have had a lot of Subarus over the years, and can tell you that I've not had one rusting and crusting like that, even after numerous salted winter weather assaults on it.

I have had the car since new, and detailing is a hobby of mine, so I go over every inch of the car fairly frequently. Although I don't get to it as often anymore now that I have a son which is probably why I didn't notice the rust sooner....

But your comment might have some merit as it appears that there might be some yellow Bondo in the area, but I would have to go out and look at it again to be sure. I wouldn't think Bondo would be on a brand new car from the factory unless something had happened between the factory and delivery that needed to be fixed....

-Neil

I have had the car since new, and detailing is a hobby of mine, so I go over every inch of the car fairly frequently. Although I don't get to it as often anymore now that I have a son which is probably why I didn't notice the rust sooner....

But your comment might have some merit as it appears that there might be some yellow Bondo in the area, but I would have to go out and look at it again to be sure. I wouldn't think Bondo would be on a brand new car from the factory unless something had happened between the factory and delivery that needed to be fixed....

-Neil

You would be amazed as to how many brand new cars get fixed because of lot damage. I know I have fixed a few in my lifetime.

GL

X

---

• I Donated

Which dealership did you buy from? Heritage? If so, they tend to be responsive to concerns from my experience with them -- maybe go back, show them the Bondo, tell them you haven't had any accidents, and ask what they can do for you?

According to the Carfax, my LGT spent most of its life in northern NH and doesn't have rust there, so this is definitely uncommon.

Which dealership did you buy from? Heritage? If so, they tend to be responsive to concerns from my experience with them -- maybe go back, show them the Bondo, tell them you haven't had any accidents, and ask what they can do for you?

According to the Carfax, my LGT spent most of its life in northern NH and doesn't have rust there, so this is definitely uncommon.

Yeah, I got mine from Heritage, as well as the wife's two Subarus, so they know me there. I did show the service guy one time on the weekend when I was getting an oil change (last November), but he just gave me a recommendation for a body shop. I need to talk to the service manager or someone, but that is just a pain because they are only there during the week and I have to take time off of work....but I am taking a day off next week to watch my son, so I may swing by and get the dealership to take a look then if I can get an appointment with the service manager. I was hoping that corporate would be more responsive as the dealerships sometimes try and shrug off any warranty or defect work I believe. But anything is worth a shot....especially if there is Bondo there and I have never had an accident in that location.

-Neil

Worth a try. I have always dealt with Harvey and some other guy (can't remember his name, balding on top, maybe Phil?). We just got a new car for the wife last May when we brought her 3 year leased Tribeca back. The worst they can say is no, but at least I tried.

I have seen quite of few last gen Outbacks (1999-2004) driving around my town with pretty bad rust in that same spot.

Back in college my roomate from Colorado couldn't believe how rusty cars were out here. He chose to buy all of his used cars back in Colorado. When I was looking for my first car (1984-88 Honda Accord) I couldn't find a single one without at least some rust, especially around the rear wheel arches.

• 1 year later...
Found this thread. Getting rust in the same spot on both sides on my 05 LGT wagon. The left side is worse but just noticed the right is starting to bubble slightly. Pissed off about it and dont want to have an unsightly car. I guess there isnt much that can be done now other than weld in good metal on both sides for some outrageous price. Sucks. Any advice? Buy a new car or live with it I guess.

I have just lived with it. It has not gotten noticeably worse in the 3 years since I started this thread (it may be a little worse, but still has not gotten significantly larger, maybe marginally....). Since the car is now almost 9 years old, I will probably be getting a new car in the next year or two anyway, and it has not been bad enough for me to shell out the money to get it fixed (and no one will guarantee a fix anyway, so I could shell out $$$ and haev rust back in 2 months....). The original quotes I received were from $900 to $1500 to get it fixed, which will probably be more than the car is worth when I decide to get rid of it.

-Neil

I'm not sure where you guys live, but if they use liquid salt on the road, this chemical is corroding the cars 3x faster than just regular old salt. My 91 had very minimal corrosion on it when I had purchased it back in 07. CT began putting liquid salt on the roads a year or so later. Next thing I know, my car is literally just falling apart, rust everywhere. Coincidence? I don't know.

Anyways, if you just let it go, it will get worse. You may not see it, but the metal is being eaten from under the paint all the time. By the time the paint is bubbling, a decent amount of damage has been done.

If you plan on keeping the car, fix it. It's only going to get worse.

My experience is it comes back in a year or so even if you 'fix' it if you dont cut out the cancer. Body shop guys will back me up here. The rust is coming in from the back side in that spot so by the time you see it your rear quarter panel is compromised and needs to be replaced or at least have the bad area cut away. Something with the construction of the cars not having the appropriate corrosion protection.

Oh wow, that is not good. Do you think it may have to do with accumulation of salt/water during the winter? I know old Hondas used to rust in that spot all the time, but not sure about Subarus.

That is a shame that is happening, but any good bodyshop should be able to fix it for not too much money,

GL

X

Yes, Hondas did rust in that spot. Wonder why? I bet its that rubber moulding that covers pinchweld. It helps hold water, grit, salt in there and thus rusting out in those spots. I would remove that rubber pinch weld moulding and throw in the trash.

Archived