LegacyGT.com

Ayrton Senna - 11 years on !

f1anatic

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/senna3.jpg

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/bussani/1993australia.jpg

Forever with us ! Never forget the great champion...I am sure...somewhere ABOVE, he's still keeping an eye on F1 ...:(:(:(

Ignorant Gringos...

Ayrton Senna was, is and forever will be the best driver in the Universe. Michael Schumacher can only get close...and he"ll take second with the modest distinction of teh best driver in the Galaxy.

Ayrton Senna died age 34 on Easter Sunday 1st May 1994 while leading the GP of San Marino at Imola. He was the best driver of his generation, a 3 time F1 world champion with 41 victories and 65 pople-positions. He is the "God" of Auto Racing. He died a freak death...he crashed at 280 kph because his steering clumn on the Williams-Renault FW16 gave up. Freak death because it was not the crash that killed him but a suspension fragment that pierced his helmet.

The only other person worth mentioning in the same breath as Ayrton Senna is the current (7 times) world champion Michael Schumacher, age 36.. Similar driving skills, it is generally recognized that had Senna been alive, these two would have shared track and championship records...Sadly, Senna passed away, the torch being passed to Schumacher. Michael has 84 victories to date, is the most successful driver EVER (although he is still lagging in the pole-position category). BAd news for his competitio...after a slow start to the season - a world shocker - he came from 13th to nearly winning last race at Imola a week ago. In the longest championship season to date he is still the favorite...though yet to win a race.

Here be your F1 Decade summary.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Ignorant Gringos...

Ayrton Senna was, is and forever will be the best driver in the Universe. He crashed at 280 kph

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for us.

...he crashed at 280 kph because his steering clumn on the Williams-Renault FW16 gave up

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for us.

You are very welcome...I am always willing to help natives understand

- that motorsports do not involve driving LITERALLY in circles

- NASCAR carburation engines are a technology as old as life on earth :rolleyes:

- football is just rugby layed by heavily armoured guys that get tired and have to take a break every 10 sec.

- and there's no point in calling yourselves World Champions and winning the "World Series" when no other country in the world plays that game be that Baseball, Basketball, Football

- and back to motorsports...name the last american driver to make it F1? Michael Andretti thank you...who lasted at McLaren precisely 12 races in 1993. (Sorry but Villeneuve is Canadian, Montoya is Colombian, Zanardi is Italian...

By the way JEDI...in 2001 (or 2) the CART cars came to Montreal. It was the first time ever that CART (America) and F1 (Europe) raced the same track, in the same direction, thru the same turns, within a short time of each other(same summer). I will let you guess what cars were faster and by how much (per lap).

Guest *Jedimaster*
*psst* I couldn't give less of a shit- I'm just having fun here. Race car drivers die- get over it. It's a dangerous profession.

*psst* I couldn't give less of a shit- I'm just having fun here. Race car drivers die- get over it. It's a dangerous profession.

Then if you don't care perhaps you should stay away from these threads or show a little respect for those who want to honour the memory of their heroes.

So do teachers who upset their students...:lol::lol::lol: It's a dangerous profession...but usually they die of bullet wounds...not as road pizza.

By the way JEDI...in 2001 (or 2) the CART cars came to Montreal. It was the first time ever that CART (America) and F1 (Europe) raced the same track, in the same direction, thru the same turns, within a short time of each other(same summer). I will let you guess what cars were faster and by how much (per lap).

Yes, but it is hardly a fair comparison, the two series are very different. F1 is a technological showcase with virtually unlimited budgets. CART uses pretty standard technology that is also pretty stable (doesn't change much year over year). And even if that wasn't the case, the two series have completely different rules which create completely different cars. Top speeds are actually similar, but F1 shows better acceleration and much better braking (at a huge cost, 50K per carbon fiber rotor).

I think that CART is a much more entertaining series though, where it is really more about the drivers then the cars. There is a lot more passing and you never know who's going to win any particular race. Unfortunately the series has been struggling in recent years because Americans prefer to watch big hunks of steel going around in circles without even requiring the drivers to shift gears.

I think that CART is a much more entertaining series though, where it is really more about the drivers then the cars. There is a lot more passing and you never know who's going to win any particular race. Unfortunately the series has been struggling in recent years because Americans prefer to watch big hunks of steel going around in circles without even requiring the drivers to shift gears.

I think CART is a LEGIT HIGH QUALITY world series and I watch it and enjoy it. And I do agree with you that it is an unfair comparison. A single F1 top team budget would be enough to run the entire CART, IRL or NASCAR championship (400 mil dollars). And I hear that Ferrari have spent upwards of 5 billion dollars since embarking on conquering the F1 World Championship in 1996. Well...they did win it 6 times...

Guest *Jedimaster*
So do teachers who upset their students...:lol::lol::lol: It's a dangerous profession...but usually they die of bullet wounds...not as road pizza.

I am armed at almost all times (not in the shower).

And sduford, thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll keep doing things my way :)

I think Ayrton Senna is a spectacular driver worthy of the Hall of Fame. But if we remember him as a great driver we have to also acknowledge those who came before him as well. Ayrton always get a footnote next to Schuey saying "If Ayrton hadn't died in a freak accident, he would have just as many World Championships as Schuey" but you could say the same thing about a lot of young men who died racing during the early years of F1.

So here's a nod to all the pioneers of motorsport. They were fearless and helped make F1, WRC, NASCAR and IRL/CART what they are today: safer.

Archived