LegacyGT.com

No 5EAT, now what do I do?

Epperson

After an '05 and an '08 LGT Ltd with auto, Subaru has abandoned this old silver haired devil. No 5EAT in the GT Ltd any more, and I'm afraid worn out hips and knees won't stand up to a daily 50mi round trip while rowing for myself.

I had an '02 Outback H6 3.0, and it was anemic compared to the '05 GT (which felt faster than the '08). So the 3.6R doesn't attract me. I'm considering a Mustang 6cyl (well maayyybe the GT) and replacing my ancient 2wd pickup with a similar 4wd for the snow around here.

If I decide to stick with a Subie and try to live with a clutch, I'll probably go with the WRX Ltd and pick up the extra second 0-60. I don't really need the room in the Legacy, never anybody in the car but my wife and I, and the WRX will handle two golf bags just as well. I can afford the STI, but the spoiler is goofy to me.

Thoughts? I can handle flames, but would appreciate constructive comments with them.

I'm making the exact same decision. I've even gone so far as to drive the Infiniti G37x. I could do the 6 speed in the STI or LGT, but would prefer a nice quick shifting automatic (preferably even twin clutch) with paddle shifters just due to my commute and family using my car. Also worried the WRX/STI is too "racer boy", and the 2010/11 LGT has become bloated. Very confused and frustrated with Subaru.

I'd be happy to hear everyone's recommendations (for any brand!)

Suzuki Kizashi is pretty much the car you're looking for. It's dialed in as much, if not moreso, than any LGT and it has a pretty nice slushbox. Great commuter car that isn't boring plus is easily the best value out there for near mid-size sedans.

Suzuki Kizashi is pretty much the car you're looking for. It's dialed in as much, if not moreso, than any LGT and it has a pretty nice slushbox. Great commuter car that isn't boring plus is easily the best value out there for near mid-size sedans.

Is that sarcasm? FWD, 185hp, ~8sec 0-60? I'm old, not dead.

Unless you really need to cut those 2 extra seconds off speeding up to 60mph, the Kizashi is exactly what you're looking for. Refined, compact mid sized car that isn't a bore to drive. Drivetrain doesn't matter much when you're commuting 50 miles a day, either.

Based on your criteria, that is what fits it. It might not be what you want but it fits the bill. If you want to crack fast times, then get a Mustang GT w/ a slushbox. Don't have to fry the clutch to get great 0-60 times and it isn't unreasonable to think of one as a daily driver. Best fast car that money can buy right now, especially at the drag strip.

Sydtron, we just don't see eye to eye on the performance issue. But yeah, the Mustang GT is definitely the fastest buy around right now. MT had the manual just a squeaker from besting the M3 all around, for 25-30K less.

Ryan, the G37x is a wonderful ride. But about $6k more than a LGT, and looks to be about 4mpg worse on a mixed commute. It's said to be around 21, and I get 25 out of the '08 LGT with about 12 miles of town/country and 48 miles of interstate daily. And I do nail the on ramps. That said, the G37x is on my radar. My '93 Q45 was perhaps the best car I ever owned, Infiniti build quality is superb.

Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet: Ford Fusion V6/ Sport

Yes their AWD isn't as good as Subaru's, but IMO the new Fusion is a far better looking car than the '10+ Legacy.

Good looking/handling car, and if they'd put the Taurus's Ecoboost twin-turbo 6 in it, I'd buy it, torque steer and all--their AWD is basically FWD with a rear assist on demand. But the Ecoboost isn't scheduled for the Fusion until 2012, and will be the I-4, not the Duratec 6. Which will probably scream, but with the 6 it would be a supercar.

• 5 months later...

The deed was done in February, and I have been driving a 2011 G37x sedan for the past 1000 miles. Still in the break-in period, but I'm averaging about 22, about 1 mpg off what I was getting in the Legacy after 35K miles and about the same as the Legacy was giving me during break-in. Got a great deal, they made about $300 with the hold-back taken into account.

And OMG, it feels much faster and stickier than either of my Legacys (yes, I've put my foot in it a couple of times, break-in procedure notwithstanding).

Epperson, it sounds like you made a very good decision for you and your wife. I am curious as to how much you paid for your G37x. I am in the market for a sedan with some performance, but I will need it to get civilized gas mileage as I am in outside sales and visit clients throughout my area. I also don't want t dog of a vehicle. I think my budget tops out somewhere around $32-33K. I have driven the Kizachi and it is way too small and I hate the CVT. I LOVE the LGT but the fact that everyone on here is in agreement that it needs PREMIUM unleaded or it will explode like Hiroshima so that makes me think I should look in another direction. I drove the 2.0T Optima SX yesterday and it has a ton of bells and whistles, but I also don't want to be driving the same car as every Tom, Dick & Harry out there. So, I am looking at the Buick Regal 2.0T, 2011 LGT Premium, and the Optima at this point. Is the G37 in my price range? (I know nothing about the "Hold Back" you mentioned..)

My wife is still a determined WRX driver, the rower in the family. ;) If Suzuki will put a sophisticated automatic and a turbo on the Kizashi, I'll consider it for my next car. The Motor Trend Tokyo-LA article was an impressive story of performance and endurance, but I can't settle for 8+ seconds 0-60. I paid $35,001 for a G37x with a $40,740 sticker. Premium package, trunk mat/net pkg, illuminated kickplates. I was able to work the local dealer against an Internet quote from a dealer 95 miles up I95. They offered invoice minus the $1500 in February dealer incentives, and I offered about $1000 less. Was a little surprised when they accepted instead of countering. You should be able to get a G37 of some trim line within your budget, particularly if you'll settle for rear-drive. When I was shopping, there were also still some 2010 models out there that were discounted another $2000 or so off invoice. "Hold back" is a somewhat hidden dealer discount that allows dealers to sell cars at documented invoice and make a profit. It's a percentage of the (sticker, usually) price that's rebated by the manufacturer to the dealer upon sale of the car. It can increase with sales volume, which is one of the reasons that dealers will often sell a bit cheaper at the end of a month. It's generally about 3% for Infiniti dealers. The G37 is in a different class than the cars you mention. It's a distinct step up in luxury/features, and an absolute screamer performance-wise. I thought my LGT was fast, but this thing has me backing out of the throttle sometimes because I'm afraid of overdriving my reflexes. If you get the G, consider an Infiniti Maintenance Plan if your servicing dealer honors them (ask). You can save a pretty significant amount of money off dealer retail in 30,000 miles. Google "Courtney Mutema" for contact info on someone who will quote absolute bottom dollar. She's in Arizona, but it doesn't matter, you can buy from any dealer that sells them.

how's the rear seat room compared to the LGT? esp leg room?

I'd say better. It's a longer car. It does get knocks for the trunk: high sill, and gives up some volume for the rear seat room. You can get two golf bags in it, but the cooler may have to go in the back seat. :cool:

Epperson, are you trying to stay away from gas guzzlers? Are you itching to mod? I ask these 2 questions because I'm thinking of suggesting a nice used G8. It will be more useful than a 2 door Mustang, more power and all the mod potential of the LS motor (not that the Stang isn't modable) :) Comes with a nice 6-speed auto as well. Fuel economy is most likely better in a Mustang, especially if you start modding that LS I would think. No worse than an LGT, or at least not by much and you would be able to run regular gas so hey!

If something were to happen to my LGT tomorrow, I would be very very very hard pressed to pass up a G8.

I peeked into the knock logic of the Nissan/Infiniti Cobb-supported engines (Z and G). There are different timing tables, when the ECU detects knock, it switches tables to less aggressive ones. You are not putting the motor in danger, you're just giving up performance as you said. However, in my Altima, I was also getting worse mileage actually and was just about breaking even in the end. So I decided at least I'd take my performance bump back :) It was noticeable. So keep an eye on your mpg and see how you do. Also note that if you switch from regular to premium, give it at least 2 tanks to relearn, otherwise you might not see a difference on the first fill. Kinda depends on how many driving cycles you get on one tank.

how's the rear seat room compared to the LGT? esp leg room?

I peeked into the knock logic of the Nissan/Infiniti Cobb-supported engines (Z and G). There are different timing tables, when the ECU detects knock, it switches tables to less aggressive ones. You are not putting the motor in danger, you're just giving up performance as you said. However, in my Altima, I was also getting worse mileage actually and was just about breaking even in the end. So I decided at least I'd take my performance bump back :) It was noticeable. So keep an eye on your mpg and see how you do. Also note that if you switch from regular to premium, give it at least 2 tanks to relearn, otherwise you might not see a difference on the first fill. Kinda depends on how many driving cycles you get on one tank.

Actually, I think Cobb dropped support for naturally aspirated engines last year, including the Z and G.

Right, that they did. But their maps, tuning etc is still out there. That is what I meant. Not sure I like that knock logic, maybe it's my lacking knowledge in tuning but I'd rather have a system that pulls timing at certain points where there is knock rather than do it across the board. The LGT still does that but only when there is enough and severe knock.

Either way you can run regular all day and won't break stuff.

Archived