LegacyGT.com

Help please! K&n typhoon intake install

Specbobae

Did it not come with instructions?

Remove OEM.

Install rubber gasket around heat shield.

Install adapter to heat shield with gasket.

Put filter in hole.

Install heat shield.

Connect filter to adapter.

Install pipe and coupler.

Tighten both ends.

Install MAF sensor.

I dont even own a Typhoon lol. Thats just off the top of my head from memory.

Welcome to the forum.

SPEC, You'll love the sound...Honestly, thats about all it's good for. I actually wish it was louder. Ya, the fenderwell trick made it very easy for me too. The only shitty part is when you need to clean the filter. I'm debating whether to unbutton the fenderwell or remove the heatshield in order to get the filter out. That truly is the crappiest part about it. Have fun!!!!

From K&N:

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-8003_inst.pdf

Actual install by our own Miss Jackie:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/k-n-typhoon-intake-05-lgt-127112.html?t=127112&highlight=typhoon

Do you have any other power mods? Are you already tuned? I think it's suggested to tune the MAF scaling for the intake to be on the safe side. Gonna reinstall mine on the weekend for my touch up tune.

Cant send attachments via PM. Its not top secret and I am not selling it, so here you go for all to see.

The curve on that modified scaling is pretty bad. Also this scaling is definitely different from the scaling I did for my K&N typhoon. It may not work for everyone, though adding 5-10% to the higher maf g/s values on the stock scaling should get it closer and prevent the lean knock that you'd get on a tuned car with stock maf scaling and an aftermarket intake.

1264551727_Screenshot2010-09-24at3_39_53PM.png.631cf0e5e772f8ff8af026579425c15f.png

It is a base. You are supposed to use RomRaider to dial it in perfect. No one said it was "perfect". None are. Every car is different and altitudes, humidity, air density all play a role. It is safe. It is a great starting point. It will work. It is safer than no tune, lol. If you have the tools to load it, you have the tools to dial it in by simply driving around. Closed loop of course.

thanks everyone,

placing the filter in the fenderwell really helped.

only problem is i don't have any tools to do my MAF scaling...

a good friend of mine told me that if i just drive it around enough my ecu will learn the changes and tune itself eventually

Bushman you are right, i wish it was a little louder too. but i love the sound and since i've never had an intake before i make sure people hear me when im driving by haha i can't wait for my catback and protune now! ill be having a lot more questions for yall soon

thanks everyone,

placing the filter in the fenderwell really helped.

only problem is i don't have any tools to do my MAF scaling...

a good friend of mine told me that if i just drive it around enough my ecu will learn the changes and tune itself eventually

Forget what your friend told you right now. Your MAF scale is FUBAR'd as we speak and you're only going to cause problems ranging from pinging to all out bad knock events. Get it tuned or go to stock for the time being and no, I am not being sarcastic.

If you have a cable and a laptop the software is free. Just copy the values I provided in to the tune. Flash. Then drive in closed loop using RR logger and MAF scaling tool to make final adjustments. As cheap as $30 if you have access to a laptop.

i didn't see that last post from m sprank.

i think i will do it myself then, what kind of cable do i need? and i need a walkthrough...im am a newb to the car game. i don't know how to flash, rr logger? lol where do i plug the cable in? im so lost!...

For canbus which I think you have (07+), you will want a Tactrix 2.0 cable.

Once you've got that you will need:

ECU Flash for reading your stock rom and flashing changes back to the cars ecu. I also use ECUFlash for tuning but most people prefer RomRaider which you will need anyway for Data logging. You will also want a copy of Learning View which is a useful tool we all use for checking out learned timing pulled due to knock and fuel trims. It can also read your engine codes and reset the ecu.

Get yourself to this point and then come back for further advice on where to start. Most likely at that point you will want to spend about $150 for someone to give you an "etune". There are several choices once you're ready.

:O blown motor is no bueno...

so what do you suggest, im getting my CBE sometime in spring

will i be okay leaving the intake in until then? and tune it all together?

or should i just tune it now and then add the CBE in spring?

and one more question is how will not tuning lead to the pinging and knocking?

Air flow readings will be off. Air to fuel mixture will be off. Run lean, chance of knock. Knock is detonation. Detonation causes piston failure and lots of other issues (ie blown motor). Some knock you can hear (if you can hear it shut the engine down). But you can see it in logs too.

You get no power from the intake. Just noise. No need for a tune for a CBE, but a tune might get you 10-15 ponies from the CBE. I woud pull the intake and install when I get the tune.

Archived