LegacyGT.com

JDM 20mm rear sway - finally installed

nomoreS4

Do you suggest using the JDM endlinks?

What specifically are the JDM endlinks? Were you referring to the end links that come equipped on the JDM LGT Subaru (similar to the 20mm RSB comes on the JDM LGT but not on the USDM?) I would expect them to be exactly the same as the USDM otherwise I think Paul Hansen would have commented on the JDM end links when he was setting up the JDM 20mm Subaru RSB Group Buy.

If you're referring to the JDM "AVO" endlinks, I don't recommend them UNLESS you're lowering your car, e.g., installing STI Pinks or Swift Performance Springs or a lowering coilover system, both of which would work great with the AVO end links. Otherwise, they're too short for the the USDM stock suspension.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're referring to the JDM "AVO" endlinks, I don't recommend them UNLESS you're lowering your car, e.g., installing STI Pinks or Swift Performance Springs or a lowering coilover system, both of which would work great with the AVO end links. Otherwise, they're too short for the the USDM stock suspension.

SBT

Thanks for reminding me - I'll adjust the online site text for that.

BTW - we have longer adjustable links that we designed for Outback owners. If you did want adjustable endlinks for a stock suspensioned car, those would fit. You would just run into problems if you then lowered the car. My car has been lowered -24mm from JDM stock (which is lower than USDM stock), and the normal endlinks when adjusted to their shortest length just barely fit on the front. The rear is not a problem, as it is longer. If I adjusted the suspension down further, they'd likely put some pre-tension on the stabilizer bar.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.sevenphotos.com

http://www.apexjapan.com

What specifically are the JDM endlinks? Were you referring to the end links that come equipped on the JDM LGT Subaru (similar to the 20mm RSB comes on the JDM LGT but not on the USDM?) I would expect them to be exactly the same as the USDM otherwise I think Paul Hansen would have commented on the JDM end links when he was setting up the JDM 20mm Subaru RSB Group Buy.

SBT

AVO is what I meant. I am going to install the ION springs and I am unsure if it is NECCESARY to change the endlinks.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend uneeded dimes!

Chad

My car has been lowered -24mm from JDM stock (which is lower than USDM stock), and the normal endlinks when adjusted to their shortest length just barely fit on the front. The rear is not a problem, as it is longer. If I adjusted the suspension down further, they'd likely put some pre-tension on the stabilizer bar.

So what you are saying is, when lowering the car, you should shorten the adjustable endlink as well to keep the OEM swaybar orientation? And if you lengthen it, it puts more pre-tension, thus the bar "works" more immediate?

And how do you correlate how much to shorten the endlinks when lowering the car?

Actually, when fully shorten, the AVO adjustable endlinks are only marginally shorter than the stock piece. So for typical owner that has a lowered ride, should we install the endlinks as short as possible?

In the front bar's case, the bar can rotate quite a bit in the bushing before hitting anything. So the different length in the endlinks don't really pre-tension the bar at all?

$150 shipped to the U.S., then avg of $20 more for ground shipping to the East and West coast buyers.

Don't think there will be another group buy but you could check with Paul at AvoTurboWorld... LGT.com user name apexjapan to see if he would reconsider.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It ended up being only about $20 less than shipping them direct to people, plus took a lot longer to get to everybody. If it was cheaper and quicker to ship within America, it would have made more sense, but right now, it's only a little more to ship direct!

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.sevenphotos.com

http://www.apexjapan.com

Do it. Amazing difference for such a simple change. I could very well be done with suspension changes - it still pushes somewhat, but the balance is much better. More importantly, the car doesn't flop around in first gear, full throttle situations and the floating, out of touch feel over cresting turns has been improved mightily!

I can now consider power changes with a clear concience!

• 2 weeks later...
Great write up & pix. I was inspired and ordered one from Paul. One question, though. The Subaru manual says to use new locking nuts (the black plastic ones on the bolts holding the bushing bracket). Should I ? I'd like to (how much could they be, right ?) but they're not in my dealer's parts catalog or diagrams. What's the hardware store equivalent ?

definite thumbs up. i put mine in this past weekend.

the bar coming from paul is all you need. bar, 2 bushings and a bag o' grease.

... i pulled the exhaust off the hangers for a quicker install. it might help you out .. might not.

Mine showed up at work today. I installed it as soon as I got home. Took it for a spin and came home with a smile. Anyone with one on order or plans to buy one, you won't be disappointed. Besides my KB STS, this has been the best bang for the buck so far. Thanks to AVO for providing us with hard to find parts.

More info on SBT's thread.

Ross

Ordered the JDM stock rear bar from AVOturboworld a few days ago and it's now in the hands of the Japanese Post Offce. I've got some stainless mufflers and tips sitting around that I want to get made up into an axle back setup too, and will likely have the shop do the bar while they've got the legacy up on the lift with the stock exhaust out of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased the JDM Sway Bar. Aside from a new shift knob and the Perrin Air Box Air Filter, this is my first real mod to the car after having it a week. I had an Integra and put the JDM sway bar on that and that was a world of difference. Learned my lesson and am doing the same on this car.

Just to double check. I ordered the part from Avo Turbo which is linked below:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_66&products_id=223

Is there anything else I need. I know the bushings come with the bar. Aside from that, will it directly bolt in? Do I need larger brackets or anything of that nature?

From what I read, the AVO supplied bar is all you need, but I just want to double check.

Thanks for the great thread!

Just purchased the JDM Sway Bar.

Is there anything else I need. I know the bushings come with the bar. Aside from that, will it directly bolt in? Do I need larger brackets or anything of that nature?

From what I read, the AVO supplied bar is all you need, but I just want to double check.

Thanks for the great thread!

that's all you'll need, stock endlinks are fine with stock suspension, otherwise you'll need the (shorter) AVO endlinks.

Good luck w the install!

Archived