LegacyGT.com

Another Cubby DIN installation for you guys...

Eric L

Jebus.... I use to do car stereo install professionally in my late teens, never seen a dash kit without any buttons, ac controls, or displays for more then $40. Looks like a little abs plastic and 2 metal supports. I just paid cash for the Subaru, im so broke if i run out of gas this week i'll have to syphon it from my bike. Anyway thanks for the reply :)

You could always make your own and save some cash...

...but then again, time is money too...they got you by the balls on this one. :mad:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought,..But since the mounting bracket for the head unit is like >$100 right now, and by looking at the mounting pics in post #1,..has anyone thought about making a mounting bracket out of sheet aluminum and bending and drilling holes to make the mounting tabs to mount to dash plastic?

Just a thought since some of you would have the tools and more experience to do this,...Even though the aluminum bracket may not be "theft proof", most of us have alarms and detachable faces anyways,..

Just my thoughts as Im thinking of ways to get my own audio system from my "sold" car into my LGT,...Stock sucks,..the 6 disc is a nice touch though,..

Just a thought,..But since the mounting bracket for the head unit is like >$100 right now, and by looking at the mounting pics in post #1,..has anyone thought about making a mounting bracket out of sheet aluminum and bending and drilling holes to make the mounting tabs to mount to dash plastic?

Just a thought since some of you would have the tools and more experience to do this,...Even though the aluminum bracket may not be "theft proof", most of us have alarms and detachable faces anyways,..

Just my thoughts as Im thinking of ways to get my own audio system from my "sold" car into my LGT,...Stock sucks,..the 6 disc is a nice touch though,..

Already done it. That is why I am selling my AVO DIN adapter. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, Eric...update in the install? :D

Chris and I put some RF speakers in the front doors... but this will all be changing soon... right now its a JL300/4 powering the RF speakers and a 12w0... soon it will be a 300/4 powering 4 speakers (maybe) and a 500/1 powering 2 12w0's (probably)

Eric

• 2 months later...

Ok Latest update for everyone on my setup... Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4 powering two CDT HD-62 (best sounding speakers I've ever heard in a car) and one JL 12w0 (have another one but the box isn't ready yet.).

Sounds incredible... Reccomend the CDT speakers highly to anyone looking.

Eric

• 7 months later...
So I am in the same situation as many of you. The cleansweep idea I threw out since 1. its expensive and 2. the stock CD player sucks. What I wanted to do someone already stated. Put an aftermarket stereo unit in the cubby whole (like that alpine) and connect my iPod AND factory 6-CD changer...so far thats all doable right? but...the cubby bracket thats holds it in place...I honestly don't want to play $115 for it. I mean I would rather spend all that money on speakers or something rather than a few pieces of plastic and metal. does anyone know of a domestic place where you can get one, or has anyone made one? maybe they would be willing to make a few and sell them perhaps? I looked on ebay for the bracket...no success....I talked to best buy...no success...I would really like to keep this project I am about to start as cost efficient as possible.

when i did a members car with the din kit, with a little trimming here and there, it fitted well...

i went ahead and did the kenwood kit cause hwen its flipped backwards, it acutally matches the dash decently well and many people may not know its a headunit...where as when that headunit is installed in the normal location, people easily recognize it as a kenwood headunit :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/interior-audio/33980-my-first-lgt-customers.html

man those pics were sexy. So you think that with some minor adjustment, some of the typical mounting brackets used would work in the cubby slot? Maybe with some minor trimming to both the bracket and the cubby plastic people like me could save some money? I don't really care about the whole matching trim color thing...I would rather have excellent sound and look like shit than vice versa...which coincidentally is what I have now. the stock unit looks good...but is junk.

So you think that with some minor adjustment, some of the typical mounting brackets used would work in the cubby slot?

No. Nothing minor about custom. You want minor, pay for the AVO piece and be done with it.

I understand your desire to spend the money on the parts you deem important (speakers, HU), but the facts are its AVO or go home.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• 2 weeks later...

How much room is there behind the "door" of the cubby if one were to cut out the cubby itself?? If there is room back there to fully swallow a DIN sized radio, it would be sexy as hell to mod the factory cubby into a housing that the cover could still close over. "Theft resistant" if done right...

just a thought.

I am looking into squeezing my Clarion VRX755VD in there, the killer is that the chassis is slightly deeper than a regular DIN radio (the bonus? NO hideaway boxes!) If I cut out thouse supports, and I cut the back of that cubby out w/ a dremel, I am wondering if I can gain enough clearance to push that VRX into place and still get the cover to close when the screen is retracted...

I have only had the car a week and I am looking to cut chit up on it... I love it.

Drew

• 4 weeks later...

Hey a quick question from a newbie sorry if it is a stupid question

So i have been doing a little research on replacing the radio i have seen some pics from the legacy sti that has a mcintosh radio in it but if you look close the radio and the climate controls are two different pieces. Why could you just order the climate control from japan or find someone in the states to out source it from japan for you. Just a thought

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/catalog/interior/imgs/top.jpg

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

Hey a quick question from a newbie sorry if it is a stupid question

So i have been doing a little research on replacing the radio i have seen some pics from the legacy sti that has a mcintosh radio in it but if you look close the radio and the climate controls are two different pieces. Why could you just order the climate control from japan or find someone in the states to out source it from japan for you. Just a thought

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/LEGACY/catalog/interior/imgs/top.jpg

I couldn't get the link to open for some reason, but the problem is, that the power for our dual zone climate control comes from the head unit itself.

^^^ This really needs to be part of the FAQ. Short story, the JDM single zone climate control system is not compatible with the US dual zone, been attempted.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19191

And to add further: no you cannot swap out the dual zone for the manual controls. I've already spent the money on this bit of reserach.

Short story: The headunit must stay if you want A/C to work. Who knows, maybe next year Subaru will get a clue. Probably not. By then the only Legacy you'll be able to buy is a black outback wagon with auto tranny and beige interior.

They might as well just put these things in a big white box with "car" painted on the side.

• 4 months later...
I'm going this route with the cubby install. Just bought a new headunit with HD radio just a month or so before I traded up for my LGT. Since I have the dreaded dual climate control, it was either eat the cost of the new headunit and then go drop another couple hundred on a Cleansweep or a 3sixty.1. But, I don't plan on spending the $100+ either for the AVO cubby install kit, going to fabricate my own from a universal type installation kit. I think with a little cutting and trimming here and there, I can fit one nicely into the cubby. Trick is I would like to maintain the flip-up/down door for the cubby which looks like may not be possible. I'll post pics as I jump into the project. Waiting for my new CDT components and spacers before I start. Probably next weekend sometime. DIY description to come.

I'm going this route with the cubby install. Just bought a new headunit with HD radio just a month or so before I traded up for my LGT. Since I have the dreaded dual climate control, it was either eat the cost of the new headunit and then go drop another couple hundred on a Cleansweep or a 3sixty.1. But, I don't plan on spending the $100+ either for the AVO cubby install kit, going to fabricate my own from a universal type installation kit. I think with a little cutting and trimming here and there, I can fit one nicely into the cubby. Trick is I would like to maintain the flip-up/down door for the cubby which looks like may not be possible. I'll post pics as I jump into the project. Waiting for my new CDT components and spacers before I start. Probably next weekend sometime. DIY description to come.

TDC is working on a dual-din replacement for the LGT OEM stereo. It's been a while since they've given us any update or time frame for the product to come out (they originally said before Xmas), but I'm trying to be patient and wait for them to get the unit out. Look in the TDC section for a thread on it if you're curious. If not, good luck with the cubby install. :)

Here's a link to a thread in here. THere's also one in the TDC section of the forum.

Archived