LegacyGT.com

Is It Possible?

Mbohn007

I recently bought my wife a 2008 Legacy 2.5i. What im wondering is if I could find a GT model, and pull the turbo system off of it an it bolt right up to the i model?

Also, is there any difference in the exhaust on the i and the GT? Ive noticed that most exhaust companies make systems for the GT model but not the i. Maybe I could just get the GT exhaust and it be fine with the i model?

Why did you get a 2.5i if you wanted a GT?

It will be cheaper to trade the i in on a GT than it will be to turn your i into a GT.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well we didnt really have a choice at the time. I was home in Louisiana on leave, and the transmission went out on her old car, we needed something to get back to Fort Campbell, Ky a few days later. The i was at a price we could afford at a dealship I had done business with before. Not to mention no one in south Louisiana drives Subaru's anyway. I have yet to see a handful of them there.

The i is perfect for what she uses it for (commuting back and forth to work, school, and grocery shopping) I just like to work on my cars and thought it would be a fun project for when I return from Afghanistan.

You COULD. It IS possible. It is also possible to cut you own fingers off with a skillsaw but I dont suggest it and you will get similar results with either project. Skillsaw or turbo an I, up to you. [/sarcasm]

Truth? The pistons and MANY MANY other things are different and you will NOT get GT results you will get a unreliable boosted car with questionable long term reliablility and less power than a GT anyway.

Crappy brakes, etc, etc, etc.

Go to the desert, stay safe, be well. Come home and trade the I in for a GT which will also be fine for the little lady.

EDIT: My little lady PREFERS the stage 3 LGT

Well it was either go the cheaper route, and snatch up a GT turbo system.. or get a full turbo system from STS Turbos.

let me ask you a question.

if it was cold outside and you wanted to stay warm, would you buy a short sleeve shirt and sew a bunch of scrap cloth on it, or would you just splurge for a jacket?

trust me, putting a turbo on your N/A car will end poorly. do yourself a favor; stop and think before you do something stupid.

Aside from really having a different engine than the GT (weaker internals, different compression, different heads, different manifolds etc). The 2.5i also has smaller brakes, a weak transmission, different electronics, shitty gauges, and a host of other things that make the swap unfeasible. Sorry.

Ahh but thats where you fail to know, that I can get all the parts off of a GT for free right now.

and this is where you fail to know that you have neither the proper motivation, funding, nor skill to transform your 2.5i into a reliable FI car.

we're telling you now, but it's up to you to actually listen to us.

• I Donated
Actually if he takes apart an entire gt (uncluding the entire motor, tranny etc) it should be relatively easy, if all labor can be done yourself.

I bet he's going to need most of the electrical system too. I doubt the NA Subaru engine management is compatible with factory-turbo parts, and from my experience with other cars, I'm guessing there are at least a few connections between the harnesses. Of course, he will then need the keys and ignition lock cylinder as well unless he wants to spend $300 to get Subaru to reprogram his current keys for the GT ECU (if they are even willing to do that in this type of situation), and of course the gauge cluster will doubtless have to come too. If the i is not a limited, he'll need a lot of the HVAC stuff. I guess there will be a few parts from the original car left...

I assure you, you do not have all of the parts from an LGT available to you for free. You need EVERYTHING that makes the GT a GT.

Engine, transmission, wiring harness (the entire thing, including the chassis harness), the entire fuel system, rear differential, the ECU, key cylinder and keys, plus all of the wiring bits.

And that doesn't include the brakes or anything like that.

If it were me, I'd just leave the 2.5i alone and replace it with a GT when you get home.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated
I assure you, you do not have all of the parts from an LGT available to you for free. You need EVERYTHING that makes the GT a GT.

It's conceivable (although unlikely) that one of his friends totalled a GT and is letting him have anything he wants off the car.

Archived