LegacyGT.com

Just bought a 09 SE and noticed a couple of things

I bought a 09 SE 5mt 3 weeks ago and I notice a few things. Car only has around 530 miles. Here are some of the things that I notice:

1. Every morning when I start the car, the engine idles rough. But after I hit and release the gas pedal, the engine idles smoother. Is this normal? My old 01 OBW didn’t have this problem.

2. I commute about 25 miles to work and it takes me about 45 minutes because of traffic. I notice burnt smell from the engine compartment. Again, is this normal?

Car runs normal, just like a new car should. If the above issues are not normal, any advice on what could be causing these issues would be appreciated.

1. I drive an 09 2.5i SE 4EAT and have the same idle. Only happens when engine is a bit colder. I think based on reading on this forum and elsewhere it idles higher to warm up a lil. Not exactly sure but others can chime in. But completely normal as we all experience it.

2. The burnt smell I actually just had as well. Did you just turn on the heat? No idea why, but when I turn on the heat after not using it for a long time, it smells a lil dry and burnt.

as for fixing these few things. no clue. Been driving with it for 13.5k. miles now. no major issues to speak of.

Yep, just to elaborate on the high idle..As someone has already mentioned, its a part of the PZEV. The car idles higher to heat up the catalytic converter faster, because they're most efficient at very high temperatures. I have 63k on my SE and I love it, just keep an eye out for oil consumption. I checked my oil for the first time at 3,000mi and almost had a heart attack when i was a few millimeters below the low mark on the dipstick. My car regularly consumes around 1qt of oil every 3,000 miles or so, through the PCV system I believe. Not happy about it, but oh well.

Yep, just to elaborate on the high idle..As someone has already mentioned, its a part of the PZEV. The car idles higher to heat up the catalytic converter faster, because they're most efficient at very high temperatures. I have 63k on my SE and I love it, just keep an eye out for oil consumption. I checked my oil for the first time at 3,000mi and almost had a heart attack when i was a few millimeters below the low mark on the dipstick. My car regularly consumes around 1qt of oil every 3,000 miles or so, through the PCV system I believe. Not happy about it, but oh well.

I'm pretty sure the 5MT is not PZEV. I have an '09 2.5i SE 5MT also and it isn't. Although it's doing the same thing to get up to O.T.

At 42k miles on it now I don't nave to add more than 1/4 of a quart to it in 3,000 mi. I'll be on the lookout now, haha.

My cats tick while the car is running sometimes, is that ok? I wonder if it's related to the PZEV?

The "tick" and ping you hear is the expansion joints contracting or expanding 100% normal. When i bought my 08 2.5i with 2 miles on it I stopped at the gas station to fill up and when i got out it was ticking the next to my said hey your car is ticking i said "Oh its the turbo downpipe cooling" NO joke :)

I am pretty sure that most of the Legacy 2.5i 08+ are PZEV as the difference is in the Tune not the hardware

Yeah, wasn't $200 extra on my car. Maybe it was on other years or in certain states?

Wow you mean my moon roof and 8 way seat is worth 2050?? Call me crazy but the base model has those options i know b/c they took a base and added all my options to it to make my "special" 2.5i but the price stayed very normal

for 08-09, the base model was the "special edition" which is a bargain imo. thats why i think its always best to buy the last years of a generation. there were real base models with nothing, but i believe they were only sold as fleet cars.

That's the way I understood it as well.

my car is a 5MT w/ PZEV. I guess the PZEV is the requirement here in CA w/ our smog problems. My car ticks too. It doesn't bother me since my Frontier also ticks. The frontier ticks because of the heat shield expanding and cooling. I just figure it's the same w/ the Suby.

When I saw the ad for my car, it didn't mention anything about it being an SE model. I thought it was just the base model w/ sunroof, which I didn't really care much for. The base model is perfectly fine for me. When I got to see it in person and seeing the premium audio and powered driver seats made me think that I was getting a better deal than I had thought.

Archived