LegacyGT.com

Broken radiator drain plug

Long story short, the head of the radiator drain plug sheered off as if it was over torqued. This is only 05 LGT.

The service guy thought he found a replacement plug but it was the wrong part. I've tried a few other diy solutions like pipe sealing tape and even a nice rubber expansion plug. They were only good for a few days and couldn't stand up to the radiator pressure.

I don't really see the point of a whole new radiator unless there is no other choice. I want to make a replacement plug with minimum down time.

So does anyone know the thread size for this plug? Or have a stock radiator they can take a measurement?

made a few measurements last night and it is a M10 1.25. Available at home depot but only in zinc plated bolt. I might go order a chrome hex cap screw that should hold up to salt better, plus it's shinny.

The teflon tape is a good idea. Thanks Rao.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Had the same thing happen to me last night. Thanks for the posts, as it saved me time trying to figure out what would fit. Most of auto stores and dealers would have to order one and I don't have the time to wait.

Just pick up a hex bolt at a local Fastenal.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For reference if anyone else does this:

I just bought a new plug and O ring ($25) at the local dealer.

For an '05 Legacy 2.5i (SOHC) Subaru P/N's:

45128KA000 - O Ring Radiator

45124AC000- Air Plug

The O ring has a octagonal hole.

I also am curious why they call this thing an "Air Plug" ?

I believe the parts below are the same thing (threads match), but NAPA does not show them as fitting:

NAPA Part Number: 605-1304

Dorman Part Number: 61137

• 4 weeks later...

We've seen a lot of 05 and 06 radiators going now. Similar to about 2-3 years ago when we started to see the 02-04 WRX ones going. There is a finite amount of time that the plastic end tanks will stay connected, and so many times the plastic can take heat cycles.

-mike

So true. For the last 6 months of my radiator's life span, it had 3 JB Weld patches on the top plastic. Finally one day it just blew a 3 - 4 inch cracked from the cap down along the top, and that's when I decided to buy a new instead of patching it again. :lol:
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived