LegacyGT.com

bad o2 sensor caused by accident?

I'm having an issue with my 2008 subie legacy. There's kind of a backstory so bear with me. About 2 months ago I hit a deer head on going 65 miles per hour. It crushed my hood, grill, right head light, radiator and damaged my AC. Long story short, I got taken advantage of by the shop, which did quite a number on my car - did not paint it properly, resulting in flaking 2 weeks later... replaced the hood, radiator and headlight with tiawanese parts even though insurance covered subie parts (get this, the headlight is held together with double stick tape)... my favorite part is that instead of replacing the steel support in the front of the car that holds up the radiator, which they were PAID to do, they just yanked out the busted one and welded it back together, resulting in a permanently pushed in grill.

:spin:

On top of this, on the day I picked the car up, it literally broke down on the highway THREE MINUTES after leaving the shop, steam pouring from the hood. They SAID that a hose bringing coolant to the transmission had cracked and blown and then they replaced it. They also SAID they test drove the thing. Yeah, sure.

So needless to say, we're suing them. In the mean time, though, I'm having ANOTHER problem with the car. Ever since I picked it up from the frankenstein shop, I have noticed that when I come to a stop and then gently let my foot off the brake and start to accelerate, the car either bucks or shudders pretty violently. I happens very intermittently... some days not at all, some days several times. Then this morning, which was very chilly, I came to a stop only a minute or so after leaving my drive way and it shuddered... and stalled. All the lights on the dash came on. I put it in park, turned it off, turned it back on, and it runs fine. For now.

The car has 62k on it. It never had this problem before the accident. I have also noticed a decrease in fuel economy ever since I picked it up (normally I get around 28 mpg, now I'm lucky if I get 24). That led me to believe it might be a bad O2 sensor.

[edit] I forgot to add, I am getting my 60k service done on Monday. I have not yet replaced the spark plugs (platinum) and thought perhaps bad plugs could be the problem... but to be honest, I know very little about cars and that's more a guess than anything else, lol.

My questions are, what do you think it is, and could the accident have caused the problem, or is it just a coincidence?

Akimbo the second your car was not right you should have been in contact with your insurance company.

I am betting it is going to cost MORE to fix what they did than it would have cost to fix right in the first place. You are going to have to pay to have what they did, UNDONE.

CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

Akimbo the second your car was not right you should have been in contact with your insurance company.

I am betting it is going to cost MORE to fix what they did than it would have cost to fix right in the first place. You are going to have to pay to have what they did, UNDONE.

CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

Oh, I have. They have sent a second adjuster out to look at the piss-poor work and have documented it all. They contacted the shop yesterday and the shop admitted they did a terrible job in all respects. Example: they got $460 to buy a new Subie hood. Instead they bought an after market one for about $200 and pocket that difference. Unfortunately since the insurance company gave ME the money to pay for the work and I gave the shop that money, the insurance company cannot sue the shop directly. It's up to me to do that. I will be suing them for the entire cost of the original "repair" as well as the associated costs, like rental cars and the like.

It's just such a FRICKIN' nightmare. I had a phenomenal, reliable car with NO problems and they took it from me. I LOVE :wub: my car. Now I feel like I can't trust it. GRRRRRRR.

Archived