LegacyGT.com

How do I clean the interior?

Now that my Sunroof has been taken out, put back in, and the car put back together by the dealer, there are greasy palm prints all over the car (specifically the B-pillars and headliner).

Any tips on how to clean them? And how about the leather?

I'm most worried about the headliner. Any advice?

Thanks!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Headliners are kinda tricky. If you try to scrub them then it just spreads the dirt around and makes the whole headliner dingy. The best thing to do is spray it with an upolstery cleaner (I like Tuff Stuff for this) and let it soak for a minute. Then blot the area with a dry towel. Repeat the spray and suck the foam and moisture out with a vacuum. It typically will do the trick. ;)

The leather can be a little tricky too. There aren't many great leather cleaners off the shelf that I've found to work very well. The perforations can be a problem too if you use too much cleaner or conditioner as it will fill in the holes. Honestly, the best product I've found for cleaning leather with perforations are gel products like Poorboy's Leather Stuff. You have to order it online, so don't bother looking for it at Target. ;) You apply a bit to an applicator (I like microfiber wrapped sponges) and do the solid areas first and then do the perforations after most of the product has already been used. You don't want to apply the product to the perforated areas first regardless of the product, but gels seem to do better at not filling in the holes after you have used some of it on the bolsters and head rest.

I've got a full interior article posted in here somewhere as well as on my blog if you want to take a look. I honestly can't remember if I covered leather, but I know I've got a leather article on OCDetails.com which is more specific. It is kind of old, so I need to update it with new product reviews, but it works. ;)

I do agree that the dealership should be made aware, but I wouldn't let them clean it. Send the general manager an email and tell him how disappointed you are at the service you received and how you will be going to XYZ dealership from now on. I'll bet you get an oil change out of it. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

There are a handful of problems with complaining.

1) I don't want them to try and clean the car. They'll just do a hamfisted job.

2) My car seems to be having dozens of little issues that I expect to be covered under warranty. The Sunroof issue was a 5-trip fiasco until they finally replaced the roof track. It has to go back AGAIN to get pictures taken of the wheels (massive corrosion around the centercaps and rim edges), and the drivers-side weather stripping is flopping around and won't stay clipped to the door frame.

3) The dealership as a whole is pretty good. They don't rag (much) on cars, and the techs seem to know what they are doing. They are the only dealer within a few hours drive that I'd trust to do warranty work. Everything else I do myself.

4) The service writer isn't bad, he knows that I know Subarus and doesn't try to feed me lines. I don't trust the service manager to fix a sandwich.

I'll fire off an e-mail to the owner of the dealership, but I don't expect a reply or anything.

I appreciate your post OCDetails, I followed your wash guidelines and product recomendations and was really happy with the results.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What about plastic bits, like the A/B pillars?

Fantastic all purpose cleaner. My headliner had gotten dirty, esp arounf the visors and roof opening. I sprayed Fantastic right on the headliner and blotted then rubed it off with a circular motion. A wet Microfiber cloth works best but a wet terry hand towel will work too.

I use the same stuff on my taupe leather and the A pillar mouldings, it works great.

Seriously? Fantastic? Like the stuff my wife has under the kitchen sink?

Seriously? Fantastic? Like the stuff my wife has under the kitchen sink?

Seriously, regular old Fantastic, DO NOT USE THE BLEACH FORMULA. They have an antibacterial formula too but it does not work as well. Trust me on this, I use it regularly and it hasn't hurt anything.

The original Formula 409 works as good too if you cannot find the other.

Your terry cloth needs to be wet too, not dripping, just wet.

Seriously, regular old Fantastic, DO NOT USE THE BLEACH FORMULA. They have an antibacterial formula too but it does not work as well. Trust me on this, I use it regularly and it hasn't hurt anything.

The original Formula 409 works as good too if you cannot find the other.

Your terry cloth needs to be wet too, not dripping, just wet.

I'll vote for this as well, it's worked for me many times. You do need to be careful since,you can disolve the dirt and have it spread / seep into the cloth which is why you also got a suggestion for Tuff Stuff / upholstery cleaner which foams and lifts dirt out.

While I'm all for the 'whatever works' solutions, I always tend to trust products which are made for the tasks I'm using them for. General all purpose cleaners have been known to discolor and damage vehicle interiors. It doesn't always happen right away either. In some cases it took a couple weeks before the spots were somehow affected by UV rays or heat or something, but I've seen the damage and it is usually irreversible. So just be careful. Dilute the all purpose cleaner to just the point where it is doing the job, but isn't so strong that it will bleach or stain the pieces. And if you have to go to the store to get a cleaning product for this job anyway, my recomendation is one designed for upholstery or vehicles specifically. Your dash and interior plastics are subjected to a different environement than the stove top or your counters are subjected to, so the affects of the products may be very different... I've rarely been burned when using the right tool for the job, but I have had the 'whatever works' technique blow up in my face from time to time. Often enough that I am very careful before experimenting anywhere visible or on surfaces I can't repair.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

While I'm all for the 'whatever works' solutions, I always tend to trust products which are made for the tasks I'm using them for. General all purpose cleaners have been known to discolor and damage vehicle interiors. It doesn't always happen right away either. In some cases it took a couple weeks before the spots were somehow affected by UV rays or heat or something, but I've seen the damage and it is usually irreversible. So just be careful. Dilute the all purpose cleaner to just the point where it is doing the job, but isn't so strong that it will bleach or stain the pieces. And if you have to go to the store to get a cleaning product for this job anyway, my recomendation is one designed for upholstery or vehicles specifically. Your dash and interior plastics are subjected to a different environement than the stove top or your counters are subjected to, so the affects of the products may be very different... I've rarely been burned when using the right tool for the job, but I have had the 'whatever works' technique blow up in my face from time to time. Often enough that I am very careful before experimenting anywhere visible or on surfaces I can't repair.

Can't and won't disagree with the warning above.

Any advice for getting what look to be bird doo or sap that has been left on a car's paint finish too long? Not me thankfully but a nice red car that I know of.

I wrote a longwinded e-mail to the owner of the dealership. 20 minutes later I got a phone call with an apology and an offer to call in a professional detailer to take care of the mess left behind and remedy all of the errors and problems that have occurred with the car.

I found a myriad of improperly reassembled bits. None of the trim sits right, half the weather stripping is hanging down and not secured, there is a TON of grease marks on almost every bit of tan plastic on the car, and the leather seats are now an off-shade of dark blue as if someone sat in them with brand new dark blue Dickies Coveralls. There are grease marks on most trim pieces and all over the headliner.

On the other hand, my sunroof rattle has gone away. Only took half-a-dozen tries, $950 in parts, and a few days worth of labor. It's nice to actually enjoy driving the car. I didn't realize how upset that rattle made me, until I got used to not hearing it. I don't drive NEARLY as aggressively as I did before, and I find I'm a lot less impatient.

Wow, I further explored the damage. The entire roof is covered in greasy marks. The drivers A-pillar is loose and not properly seated. The Passenger lower B-pillar isn't put in right and is extremely loose. Every weather-seal is haphazardly reinstalled. All of the tan trim is in bad shape from grease marks and dirt. The arm rest on the passenger side has a massive greasy elbow stain.

When the service advisor asked me to point out what areas were dirty, I said it'd be faster to show him the areas that aren't. He said the detailer would just do the whole inside. I said "good."

The rattle was unlivable. It was VERY loud, and persistent. Imagine someone rattling a bunch of beer tabs in a can CONSTANTLY when you drive.

It was maddening. Radio at 30, and you could still hear it.

Went to pick the car up this afternoon. They had it for 27 hours.

The headliner was spotted, there was a palm print on the rear seat, the visors were still filthy. The seats were still filthy. The weather stripping was falling off still, and i found a trim clip in the middle of the floor.

I left the car there. They will be doing a "full" interior detail this time. Or so they say.

Archived