LegacyGT.com

5EAT: Is Driving in Manu-matic All the Time Bad?

greg_mitch

Here's a stupid question for you guys, and maybe getting a little off topic, but I just got my LGT yesterday. I was on the highway doing about 70 and wanted to see if I hit the buttons on the steering wheel while it was in drive, what it would do. It of course kicked the car into sport shift mode. Without knowing the car that well to get it out of sport mode I put the car in neutral for some stu[id reason. I put the car back into drive and it kind of bucked for a second. Is this horrible for the car/tranny? Obviosly it's not something I plan on doing again but could that cause damage? The car seems to drive and shift like it did before I did this. Just thought I'd ask.

To get back on topic, I'm going to have to mess with this sport shift a little more. I haven't really yet but you guys have given some good advice on what and what not to do.

You think that's bad...a coworker who was driving a rental minivan accidentally turned the van off while going 70 on the freeway. It was still in gear. He turned the key forward and it auto started and we kept on our way.

I was a bit freaked out though.

You think that's bad...a coworker who was driving a rental minivan accidentally turned the van off while going 70 on the freeway. It was still in gear. He turned the key forward and it auto started and we kept on our way.

I was a bit freaked out though.

Thats when you scream "RENTAL CAR!!!:)":lol:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

i have done the same thing, while driving in d i was thinking i was in sport mode out of habbit of always using the + - and pressed forward on the actual shifter itself putting it in nutral and slamming it back into driving freeking out lol

I got a question: When you shift gears while in "manu-matic" mode...would you have to let go of the gas pedal? I usually shift gears while gasing and my car sometimes jumps. Hopefully, Im not doing it wrong.

I would like to know this as well.

You're at Stage 2.5? Depends what supporting mods you have, boost/power level via tune, luck, etc. If I say it's fine to shift at WOT and the tranny shits the bed, am I liable? :) What I am saying is, it's an automatic tranny. It was designed to work that way, in stock form at least.

Im going by the Unofficial Legacy GT “Stage Upgrade” Definitions. 2.5 seems reasonable to what I have. Maybe the Rallitek 5eat bushing is making my car jerk a little. Now, Im going to go out and floor it. :) Thanks for the info.....I'll send you the bill if it breaks to Nebraska!

I got a question: When you shift gears while in "manu-matic" mode...would you have to let go of the gas pedal? I usually shift gears while gasing and my car sometimes jumps. Hopefully, Im not doing it wrong.

you can do it either way . but not inbetween !

hold the pdeal in a steady state when you shift.

the tcu doesn't know what you want to do.

when your to the floor shifting it will decide its going to do a shift with ( lets jsut say) 85% line pressure then you let off the throttle at that lighter throttle angle it would shift at 35% line pressure but it didn't have time to adjsut or physically unable to.

the worst is shift at low throttle and then floor it during shift.

the tcu is tuned by humans to ensure smooth shifting ( does what ever it can) but its impossible for it to know what your planning.

what you have to do is learn to adapt to the tranny and tcu what it does when if you notice a long jerking shift = bad don't do what ever it was you did.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Mega Users

:frankster

I learned this by accident. I shifted into 4th at WOT at the redline and thought, why don't I let up on the gas and go easy on the trans. It took about 2 full seconds to do the shift under about half throttle. The TCU was letting the clutches slip. That must have created a crap load of heat.

:frankster

I learned this by accident. I shifted into 4th at WOT at the redline and thought, why don't I let up on the gas and go easy on the trans. It took about 2 full seconds to do the shift under about half throttle. The TCU was letting the clutches slip. That must have created a crap load of heat.

If you let off the gas and took 2 seconds to shift, the tranny didn't engage the gear at all, it held 4th for those seconds because it was trying to anticipate what you were going to do next. There is absolutely no logic which dictates it will slip the clutches for that long. If it happens, they are toast :lol:

• Mega Users
Well the revs slowly dropped for 2 seconds while it shifted. It was like if you slowly engage a clutch on a manual under power. Are you saying that the computer doesn't change the length of time that it takes to fully engage the clutches? If it drops the pressure mid shift, it will be changing gear with very low pressure under somewhat high power.

Downshifting & using the transmission brake effect reverses the loads on gear facings - clutch pak facings .. 'scrubbing' in reverse pattern -

bearings aren't real happy with this either -

You will wear out the clutch paks faster using downshifting.

If you're a spirited driver - downshifter etc. - get the trans fluid serviced & pan cleaned out.. clutch facing material grit

I would recommend a Large Capacity Transmission Cooler .. regardless.

We have a specific engine braking clutch, or two, can't remember. My only experience with the trans not liking engine braking was with an old Impreza 4at. It hated it. Scrubbed the clutches, slowly.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived