LegacyGT.com

5EAT: Is Driving in Manu-matic All the Time Bad?

greg_mitch

So I have never had a manu-matic style automatic transmission. Is putting it in "manual" mode all the time bad for the transmission?

Obviously, I understand that if I am hard on the tranny it won't like it. I don't go to red line every time and shift but I do enjoy leaving it around the boost threshold for longer periods of time than the automatic leaves for me.

I also have habit of engine braking by downshifting.

I didn't realize it at first but then I had someone ride with me that mentioned something about it.

I know a few here recommend a tranny cooler and I don't have one. My ride to work is only about 20 minutes so the car only usually sees 40 minutes of driving (50mph average) everyday.

Thanks for any input!:)

I always drive my car in manual mode

I wouldnt worry about it if you take it easy when you first start on a cold engine - let the fluids warm up. And dont do too much high rev downshifts, it would clunk into gear and thats not that good to do it all the time. Also boosting in 5th gear is not advised - downshift, and maybe full boost shifts not always good iirc.

If you go for the valvebody mod then you can beat on it all you want - so what some people say, I do not have a valvebody mod/upgrade

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I drive my car in manual mode 90% of the time and have for the 40K I've owned the car. I've got a trans cooler, but only because I'm planning to go Stg. 2 soon.

Pretty much only time I don't have it in manual mode is when I'm on the highway cruising. I've noticed absolutey 0 difference in the behavior or performance of my trans. since I've owned it and driven it this way. I don't beat on the car...at all...but do accelerate from 0-speed limit as fast as possible pretty much everywhere I go.

I don't beat on the car...at all...but do accelerate from 0-speed limit as fast as possible pretty much everywhere I go.

:lol:

In my book that is THE definition of beating on a car. Don't get me wrong I like to do it too...but I don't try to kid myself that I am just "blowing the carbon out of the engine".

Well that is reassuring to hear most others do this as well.

Was a manual even an option on the limited with Nav for the GT?? Besides Spec B.

• Mega Users
I think it might be better overall for the transmission. If you think about it, if you are accelerating hard and let up on the gas at the same time it is shifting, I think it makes the clutches slip because you confuse it...at least mine does. If you control the shifts, they are always fast and precise...less heat.

• 3 weeks later...
I think it might be better overall for the transmission. If you think about it, if you are accelerating hard and let up on the gas at the same time it is shifting, I think it makes the clutches slip because you confuse it...at least mine does. If you control the shifts, they are always fast and precise...less heat.

You may actually have a very valid point

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

No he's right. Unless you torque brake the thing for minutes on end, you're not going to hurt it with a stock motor.

the ecm won't even let you do that ! it will sence tranny fluid heating up and it will kill the engine !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Agreed.

Also, I prefer to drive in manu-matic mode. It seems will all the extra torque and in regular D mode, the 5eat still likes to shit wayy to early, keeping you out of the powerband of the engine. I.E.: 5th gear, 38mph going up a hill. This causes the engine to bog a sputter until the TCU decide what to do, thus putting not needed strain on the 5eat. IF in manu-matic mode, 4th gear feels much smoother and better. I prefer to use manu-matic mode as much as possible, and I usually shift right around the 3k mark, thus keeping the engine in the power band thus keeping the strain on the 5eat down.

Was a manual even an option on the limited with Nav for the GT?? Besides Spec B.

Nope, I at least not in '08 when I got mine. That was another push to pay 3k more for a Spec B. I personally dislike GPS (I'd rather know in advance where I'm heading and what road to take) so it wasn't a deal breaker for me... and I just couldn't justify 3k for the 6pd...

Fixed:lol:

Agreed.

Also, I prefer to drive in manu-matic mode. It seems will all the extra torque and in regular D mode, the 5eat still likes to shift wayy to early, keeping you out of the powerband of the engine. I.E.: 5th gear, 38mph going up a hill. This causes the engine to bog a sputter until the TCU decide what to do, thus putting not needed strain on the 5eat. IF in manu-matic mode, 4th gear feels much smoother and better. I prefer to use manu-matic mode as much as possible, and I usually shift right around the 3k mark, thus keeping the engine in the power band thus keeping the strain on the 5eat down.

Here's a stupid question for you guys, and maybe getting a little off topic, but I just got my LGT yesterday. I was on the highway doing about 70 and wanted to see if I hit the buttons on the steering wheel while it was in drive, what it would do. It of course kicked the car into sport shift mode. Without knowing the car that well to get it out of sport mode I put the car in neutral for some stu[id reason. I put the car back into drive and it kind of bucked for a second. Is this horrible for the car/tranny? Obviosly it's not something I plan on doing again but could that cause damage? The car seems to drive and shift like it did before I did this. Just thought I'd ask.

To get back on topic, I'm going to have to mess with this sport shift a little more. I haven't really yet but you guys have given some good advice on what and what not to do.

Here's a stupid question for you guys, and maybe getting a little off topic, but I just got my LGT yesterday. I was on the highway doing about 70 and wanted to see if I hit the buttons on the steering wheel while it was in drive, what it would do. It of course kicked the car into sport shift mode. Without knowing the car that well to get it out of sport mode I put the car in neutral for some stu[id reason. I put the car back into drive and it kind of bucked for a second. Is this horrible for the car/tranny? Obviosly it's not something I plan on doing again but could that cause damage? The car seems to drive and shift like it did before I did this. Just thought I'd ask.

To get back on topic, I'm going to have to mess with this sport shift a little more. I haven't really yet but you guys have given some good advice on what and what not to do.

When u put the car into neutral the engine rpms drop but the transmission is moving at the same speed. When you put it back into D it bucked because the transmission and engine was not moving at same speed.

What not to do w/ Si-Drive = nothing not to do, S# increases throttle response, "I" mode cuts boost to .7bar (if turbo) and decreases pedal respose. People say dont floor it and leave it in 5th gear - you should downshift. Do not power brake (brake and gas) for extended periods, or often

When u put the car into neutral the engine rpms drop but the transmission is moving at the same speed. When you put it back into D it bucked because the transmission and engine was not moving at same speed.

Gothca. You dont think just once if going to majorly F something up do you? Like I said, the car seems to shift and drive like before.

You're fine

:+1:

You get it out of manual mode after tapping a button by either slapping the stick into sport and then back to D, or waiting several seconds to let it do it on it's own.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived