LegacyGT.com

This may be a stupid question

almostinvincible119

New to the forums, and new to Subis. I have a 2005 GT, and I have gutted the DP and left the midpipe cat in place. I am planning on purchasing the catless UP.

I have the opportunity to pick up a cheap branded header from a friend, looks good and strong and the welds look to be in good shape. Never used.

I also can purchase an uppipe, and that will be it on the exhaust mods. (being that I dont have 500 to throw at a CBE system, nor being a family car do I want a CBE)

All of that said, I am wondering if I should do just the up-pipe for that increase in throttle response and leave the header out. Or if I should purchase the header.

Would I pick up that much extra HP from just the header with pretty much stock exhaust. Or do I need to bolt up a CBE system to really pick up the gains that the header will unlock?

Replacing the up is a good idea either way because they're catted and have been known to fail. The headers is totally up to you. You wont get a lot of hp's from doing the headers. If the price is right go for it. I would suggest the up and leave the stock headers and save for a tune. Either COBB ap or Infamous tune. The stock exhaust is capable of handling over 300hp.

A cheap alternative to a cat back is a muffler delete. Not sure how loud you want but it does sound nice. Monroe charged me $100 to do it. Welcome to the forum.

Going catless is a must. Those up pipe cats have been known to break apart and destroy turbos. You still have "cats" on the DP. So it can pass visual inspection. The cop pulling you over would not know that an 05 Legacy GT has an uppipe cat or that those DP cats are gutted.

Archived