LegacyGT.com

Who went with wider tires?

bluechipbmw

I've searched the forum and saw there was plenty of conversation around tires but I haven't seen a post where someone went outside the norm of:

215/45/17 or 225/40/18.

I am curious to know who has gotten to a wider set up and if they can pass along any comments if it was worth it and what size.

Thanks

I've got 225/40R18's on 8" wide wheels...handles and rides great but "looks" like the tire is just a hair to thin for the wheel. They'd probably be perfect on a 7" or 7.5" wheel.

Next set I'll get something wider with the same diameter...

I just put 245/35/R18 on my new rims, I was running 245/40/R18 before and was rubbing slightly on the weather stripping in the rear fender. Definitely check out keefe's post sticked at the top of wheel/tire threads. Full of great info.

I think a lot of people have done 225/45/17's, myself included. I put them on stock wheels and they look great although not much wider than stock.

Doesn't the revolution per minute difference on 215 and 225 tires have an effect on your speedometer?

You won't notice a huge difference between 215 and 225, size-wise. More important is the tire compound you choose, i.e. summer performance tire vs. all season.

I put on a set of 225 Michelin Pilot Sports and they offer a noticable performance increase at the expense of increased road noise.

I went up to 7.5 on falkens. There's more steering wheel jitter for me it doesn't bother me. Car handles better on turns. I have 2 traffic circles near my house so the last 10 minutes of my drive home is fun.

If I ever sell the wheels I have, I'd probably go with 8" wide. I think overall a large % here have gone to 7.5 while a smaller % of people have gone to 8. Search for pictures of DM's car and you'll get an idea of what 8's look like. Then hop over to the photos thread and just click through and see how you feel about 7.5.

Archived