LegacyGT.com

First drive: The new BMW 330i

We got our first allotment of new 3 series cars in two days ago, and the first one to get ready for sale was a silver 330 six speed MT. Very nice car, the new inline six is the definition of flexibility. Much like the Legacy, the rated power (255) seems underrated by the way it pulls. I can not stress how good of a motor is in this car, it makes the out going engine seem weak and crude in comparision.

Fotunately the rest of the car is as good as the engine, the car is very well planted on the road and is difficult to break loose even through sharp decreasing radius corners. When it does break loose it is nice and predictable, and the stock tires are progressive in letting go (unlike our damned RE92's). The steering of course is excellent, no slop and lots of communication. The brakes are, in German fasion, very powerfull as well. Overall and extremely well balanced car, a bit faster than the Legacy and it handles better. Also has a nicer interior. Also costs $41,000, so it had damned well better be nice and fast.

I realize that for the difference we could make a really fast sharp handling Legacy, but I just don't know if it would be as smooth at the same time. Oh well, time to start saving my money, or selling more cars so I can get my own.

The car had the sport package, so I believe they were the Pirelli Euroforia, if I am not mistaken. 225/40 ZR18 in front, and 255/40 ZR18 in back. They are a run flat tire by the way, no spare at all in the new cars.

I will check and make sure tommorow at work. Hell I'll take it out and thrash it again for good measure too.

We got our first allotment of new 3 series cars in two days ago, and the first one to get ready for sale was a silver 330 six speed MT. Very nice car, the new inline six is the definition of flexibility. Much like the Legacy, the rated power (255) seems underrated by the way it pulls. I can not stress how good of a motor is in this car, it makes the out going engine seem weak and crude in comparision.

Fotunately the rest of the car is as good as the engine, the car is very well planted on the road and is difficult to break loose even through sharp decreasing radius corners. When it does break loose it is nice and predictable, and the stock tires are progressive in letting go (unlike our damned RE92's). The steering of course is excellent, no slop and lots of communication. The brakes are, in German fasion, very powerfull as well. Overall and extremely well balanced car, a bit faster than the Legacy and it handles better. Also has a nicer interior. Also costs $41,000, so it had damned well better be nice and fast.

I realize that for the difference we could make a really fast sharp handling Legacy, but I just don't know if it would be as smooth at the same time. Oh well, time to start saving my money, or selling more cars so I can get my own.

i dont know if i have my facts straight, but did they uprate the ponies in that 6 from 225 to 255?

if thats the case, the 330xi may be my next ride...

gt_ltd,

I have driven the manual trans Legacy GT as well as the 5EAT, and the BMW is more responsive, particularly at speeds above 60mph. Of course with an AP stage 1 or 2, our car will be faster.

Colonel Angus, the new engine is in fact the 255 hp unit. All new, double VANOS, valvetronic, and three stage intake manifold. A wonderful motor, if you get a chance to test one you will love it.

Mmm....I may need to schedule a "service" appointment, yes thats what I need to do....Looking forward to driving the new 3 as I imagine the engine would be pure joy too bad it looks like poo and I would gladly keep the E46 over the E90

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

the new 330i's front looks ugly but not un-acceptable, what i can't stand is the rear. why can't they just keep the old looks?

anyway, are they gonna make more BMW films? i like some of them and actually bought the DVD.

This Space For Rent

Only new Bimmer I like is the 6. Neighbor has a 6 convertible, now that's a nice ride. Unfortunately, he hasn't let me drive it yet, but I'm hoping.

Lottery win car might be the M6 when it's released. And keep the LGT around for bad weather days ;)

gt_ltd,

Colonel Angus, the new engine is in fact the 255 hp unit. All new, double VANOS, valvetronic, and three stage intake manifold. A wonderful motor, if you get a chance to test one you will love it.

i have always loved BMW's I-6 engines, which is why the bump up in hp caught my attention :D

Yah the new motor is really a true breakthrough with the use of magnesium in the block to create a lighter motor to keeep in tact the famous balance that BMW has been known for. I'm really looking forward to driving the new engine (I say the engine because the car doesnt interest me) to see how it feels.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Noticeably more power, particullarly at higher engine speeds. Handling as good, maybe slightly better. Overall a nice improvement over the old car, it really reminds me of the old 97-98 four door M3, except a little more powerfull and a good deal more refined from a standpoint of engine behavior.

I made a mistake on the brand of tires the car I drove. The 330 sport with the manual has Bridgestone RE050's on it, they seem like a good tire. The automatic car we have with out the sport package has Bridgestone Turanzas on it. This car does not handle quite as well, but the rubber is better than our damned RE92's.

• 3 years later...
i agree with your review as my friend has the 08 335xi. its a twin turbo and yes it looks great and the motor is excellent. however.. the interior like all bmws are ugly and bland. especially with the dull orange illumination. but i love looking at the exterior lol

i agree with your review as my friend has the 08 335xi. its a twin turbo and yes it looks great and the motor is excellent. however.. the interior like all bmws are ugly and bland. especially with the dull orange illumination. but i love looking at the exterior lol

See I actually like the uncluttered simple interiors in BMW's, but that is me. The gauge illumination is just fine with me as red or orange will give you less eye strain, and have little to no effect on your night adapted vision unlike other colors of light.

Oh yeah, the 335i is a beast. I love that motor even more.

ya it is certainly your preference.. but i love the red in the leagcy, especially the speedometer gauges... but you know the VW interior with the blue and red.. thats definitely my favorite. its gorgeous. i guess i wouldnt mind the orange too much in the bmws, but i just hate the bland center console and bmw doesnt do anything different for their models when going from the 1,3,5,7 series. There should be a real difference in the model interiors to distinguish a different series. The only thing they do different is stich a "M" inside for the M series

For better or worse BMW like Audi and M-B has adopted a coherent exterior and interior design theme all across the model line. Similar shapes, layouts, materials etc etc. The goal is to maintain high quality and perceived luxury in the lower end cars, but also serves to let anyone who is even a little familiar with the brand to instantly know they are in a BMW just by the interior.

Given BMW's marked sales increase since the introduction of the E65 7 series and it's styling being applied over all platforms I can only surmise the strategy has been successful. Unfortunately for people that don't like the styling inside and or out it is a turn off.

dont get me wrong im not complaining about the exterior. its just the interior. although i do see MB makes more of an effort to differentiate the interiors between its classes from the lower C to E to S classes. I just believe if your paying that much for a 7-series it shud somewhat look different than a 3-series. but anyway overall bmw is certainly a great car, but i dont think id buy a 3-series, way too much $$$ not sure its worth 40K+ .

Archived