Stock non-ACR SRT-4 from Motortrend:

braking, 60-0mph: 118'

Lateral acceleration: 0.88g's

MT figure-eight: 25.9@0.69g

STi

Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 113

200-ft skidpad, avg g 0.90

MT fig-eight, sec @ avg g 26.07 @ 0.70

SRT-4 seems decent on paper versus the STi, nevermind the WRX or LGT.

"You're confusing this with the ACR Neon of the old....the new one ain't so hot..."

NEW SRT-4 with factory ACR package:

$1200 gets you:

Tokico Illumina shocks with spring perch lowered by about 1/2", 19mm rear swaybar, 16x7 BBS RX wheels, 225/45-16 BFG KDW2 tires, stiffer rear tension strut bushings, seat harness slots for a 4/5 point belt...

Hmm... Looks like the SRT-4 w/ACR package may give the STi some serious trouble in the corners...

-B

I have driven an SRT-4, I am not impressed; especially not for $36,000. While very fast in a strait line and capable of high levels of grip and very good stopping distances, the test numbers are not the whole story. There is more to a car's handling than skidpad numbers and figure eights. Keep in mind these are measured up until the car breaks loose and starts to skid, once this happens the AWD car or RWD has a distinct advantage over a FWD car just about every time. A car that is not RWD or AWD is much easier to control once traction is broken and the vehicle starts to slide, say through a corner since it does not understeer and instead oversteers. Oversteer can be adjusted for with opposite lock, understeer just lets you a.) put on brakes to slow down (bye bye AWD or RWD car you are racing) or b.) Go into ditch.

If FWD drive was as good then we would see all sorts of racing applications for it, please no annecdotal evidence about how you got your SCCA blah blah blah FWD to do such and such. Show me a FWD rally car, or endurance racer, or F1 car. As a side note the car I drove came in on trade with 21,000 miles on the clock and was as rough as a corn cob. Lots of squeaks rattles, and odd groaning from the body. A real turd, but a fast turd.

FWD RALLY CAR, SRT-4 STYLE:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0212scc_rallying/

Another strong Group 5 car available next year is the Dodge SRT-4. A rally car was one of the development mules for this turbocharged monster, and it should prove very competitive and relatively easy to prepare. A completely stock SRT-4 engine already makes more than enough power, leaving only chassis prep and a limited slip to make it a rally car.

http://sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0212scc_projrally_14_zoom.jpg

http://www.allpar.com/neon/scca.html

We just started in Rally this year (2002), and to date, the Dodge SRT-4 has won two events on the SCCA circuit and is leading the Manufacturing Championship.

SCCA Pro Rally SRT-4 - Group 5 Class

Sno-Drift 3rd

Cherokee Trails 1st

Oregon Trail 2nd

Rim of the World 1st

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0505_dodge_neon_srt4_stage3/index1.html

"And what would a muscle car be without a distinctive exhaust note? The Stage 3 SRT4 gurgles deeply and pops with pent-up back pressure on throttle liftoff--just like a professional rally car. In fact, Mopar-sponsored Stage 3 SRT4s have been campaigned successfully in SCCA ProRally events, winning two-wheel-drive championships and turning in overall times not far behind those of all-wheel-drive opponents."

-B

Okay so what, by the site you have listed they admit that having only two wheel drive is quite a limitation. When was the last time a WRC season was won by a FWD only car? I know that there are many classes available for different cars, I do not care. What I am getting at is absolute victory. Not class wins, overall wins.

My wifes last car was a Chrysler Sebring. It was in for service for the same thing 12 times in 3 years. Yes, a total lemon. I would not drive a chrysler product if it was given to me.

Let go down the list:

One of the worst resale cars out there

Cartest is terrible

It is a Neon your talking about

How does a car have price from $14k to $36K???

Ok, I just did a build & Price on www-5.dodge.com on a SRT-4. With all the options including destination charges the price was $24,325. So if it was true that a dealer was selling for $36k than that is dealer mark-up. Some states it is illegal. I would never buy from a dealer that does this; and they should all be hung.

I hope I did not offend Beanboy, looking back on my posts I was being kind of an a__ hole. I just do not see the allure of the SRT-4, if I was to go out and acquire a Renault Le Car and put a hot engine in it, some grippy tires, and some big brakes; it would still not change the fact that it was a piece of French dog crap. The car would still fall apart, like a Neon will, but would jettison it's parts at higher velocity than a standard car.

Come to think of it $36K can get you an STI, and quite a few serious go fast parts. $36K for an SRT-4, if anyone would like it I have some human fertilizer for sale just $30 per 8 ounce bag.

Here is the sticker picture. They are just asking for that much, but you can work the numbers out. Thats what the dealer said. the $36,000 one sold they said. I ask for that much, they said no and they didn't want to tell me how much.

HERE is where they are located and their phone:D

161708574_tn_4-28-05059.jpg.0ba5a181784bfd212b549c10ea6d2037.jpg

Sigh...

Yes, the SRT-4 isn't worth 36K. Hell, I hope nobody paid that much, and you certainly don't have to. Sounds like a Legacy GTX situation to me. A poor imitation at that!

Now water bird my little aquatic friend... You asked to see a rally FWD car, and I showed you an SRT-4 that dominated the class and came close to the AWD cars in a different class. Now we are talking about overall wins?

How about this. The SRT-4 with ACR package from the factory for under 23K will put a major hurt on any Subaru factory car sans STi on any road course in America. And I don't want to hear any comments about, "well, in a snowstorm" either, hehe. No classes, just an overall win. Do you agree?

-B

PS And no, "But Subaru puts little plastic tires stock on the WRX/LGT!" either! :D

Here is the sticker picture. They are just asking for that much, but you can work the numbers out. Thats what the dealer said. the $36,000 one sold they said. I ask for that much, they said no and they didn't want to tell me how much.

So this is in California, right? Cars are generally higher priced in that area. Going over $30K does seem pretty crazy, though.

Stock non-ACR SRT-4 from Motortrend:

braking, 60-0mph: 118'

Lateral acceleration: 0.88g's

MT figure-eight: 25.9@0.69g

STi

Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 113

200-ft skidpad, avg g 0.90

MT fig-eight, sec @ avg g 26.07 @ 0.70

SRT-4 seems decent on paper versus the STi, nevermind the WRX or LGT.

"You're confusing this with the ACR Neon of the old....the new one ain't so hot..."

NEW SRT-4 with factory ACR package:

$1200 gets you:

Tokico Illumina shocks with spring perch lowered by about 1/2", 19mm rear swaybar, 16x7 BBS RX wheels, 225/45-16 BFG KDW2 tires, stiffer rear tension strut bushings, seat harness slots for a 4/5 point belt...

Hmm... Looks like the SRT-4 w/ACR package may give the STi some serious trouble in the corners...

-B

The STi is setup quite well from the factory, but not perfect either....add some springs (pink) and you are set. I wouldn't compare the two though....the STi is ina different class..

How are two hotted up 4-door econoboxes in different classes?

One has AWD, good engineering, and is a generally great performance car, despite it's humble origins.

The other may be fast despite it's origins, but otherwise the original plays out.

I am not a fan of the SRT-4. Personally I think it is ugly, and no matter how fast it is, build quality is build quality. Chrysler has not been a paragon of quality in a long, long time. My mom's 90 LeBaron GTC Variable Nozzle Turbo is in much much worse shape than my dad's 91 Mercury Capri Convertible. And my dad is meticulous at maintaining them both. (I have been wanting to put a 323 GTX Turbo AWD drivetrain under that capri for a long time... talk about a fun car...)

I don't think the Impreza line is a particular looker, either, but the engineering is stout to say the least, and when Magazine headlines read "The WRX We Couldn't Break" it says something.

I agree that they are quite distinct from each other, but defined by their platforms as 4 door economy cars that have been factory tuned, the SRT-4 and WRX STi are not neccessarily apple's versus oranges. Maybe apples versus over-ripe apples.

+1 Go geta WRX STI for 35,000 Way better car. Anyone who would spend 36k on a SRT4 is nuts.

How are two hotted up 4-door econoboxes in different classes?

One has AWD, good engineering, and is a generally great performance car, despite it's humble origins.

The other may be fast despite it's origins, but otherwise the original plays out.

Not so fast. A quick check of Kelley Blue Book online reveals the base price of a 2005 Neon as:

Invoice: $13,422.00 Retail: $14,295.00

But the base Impreza (which is still awd) as:

$17,437.00 $18,670.00

To be perfectly blunt, the neon is a trailer park car. The Impreza is not.

--

Archived