LegacyGT.com

Dodge Neon srt-4 $36,000.00

I was at the dealers down here in San Diego just to test drive new cars. I test drove the r32 vw. Pretty quick car, I like it. I went to the Mitsubishi dealer and test drove the evo. That car is the best car I have driven.

Then I went to the Dodge dealer. I test drove the srt4 and I think that car is a piece of junk. But the engine is awesome. I have a whole list of things why it sucks but I wont list them, to long.

OK, here is the reason why I am posting this. On the price of that neon, the dealer wanted $36,000 for that junk. They had a whole bunch of dealer add ons and mark ups. Every srt4 that was there, about 5 of them, were for $36,000. They were all stock too. No stage 2 or 3, all stock.

I am going to go back and take a pic of that invoice on the windshield. I will post the pics on here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I test drove the srt4 and I think that car is a piece of junk.

I will never understand why everyone and their mother gets off on bashing the SRT. My father has an SRT-4, and I can tell you it's one fast little car. It was never intended to be plush like the LGT. It was intended to go fast, and make no excuses. I think Dodge did a fine job.

You'll respect the SRT more when it shows you it's taillights. Of course, they'll respect you more if you were to run on a rainy day. Or a snowy day. Or a damp day. Or even a mildly moist day. :lol:

Now, excuse me while I put on my flamesuit.

-Casey

EDIT: That is too much money for that car though, without a doubt.

OK, here is the reason why I am posting this. On the price of that neon, the dealer wanted $36,000 for that junk. They had a whole bunch of dealer add ons and mark ups. Every srt4 that was there, about 5 of them, were for $36,000. They were all stock too. No stage 2 or 3, all stock.

I am going to go back and take a pic of that invoice on the windshield. I will post the pics on here.

Please post up pics. And include the phone number to the dealer so we can call and laugh at them. :):lol:

The SRT-4 is filling a niche for consumers who don't care about comfort, style, safety, or anything else other than speed.

To illustrate the safety point:

Legacy:

http://tinypic.com/4rcm03

Neon:

http://tinypic.com/4rcm1f

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

the first srt-4 i saw in a dealership was around 23K. 36K is rediculous...I wouldn't even pay the 23K. Its real piece of crap. Sure the HP and numbers are nice with added stages, but at the end of the day its a crappy neon. :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
the first srt-4 i saw in a dealership was around 23K. 36K is rediculous...I wouldn't even pay the 23K. Its real piece of crap. Sure the HP and numbers are nice with added stages' date=' but at the end of the day its a crappy neon. :lol:[/quote']

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's still a Neon. Like putting a silk hat on a pig if you ask me.

Yeah, at the end of the day, it's still a Neon. Like putting a silk hat on a pig if you ask me.

:::smacks head:::

There is more to life than a model name.

As I've said before, the purpose of the car was to be a no-frills speed machine, for little money. It seems to me Dodge has accomplished what they set out to do.

Then again, maybe it's me who is missing the boat here...

-Casey

Its not just the model name. The Neon is still a Neon no matter how fast of a motor you put in it. Its always going to have safety issues and its always going to have corners cut in certian areas. The target market is not a goup of people who care about certian things, so Dodge has no reason to upgrade anything. The door panels are going to fall off the SRT-4 neon just as fast as they fall off any baseline Neon that is made. They are cheaply built cars with fast motors. I'm not saying they are junk, I'm just saying they aren't the best example of automotive quality in action.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Guest *Jedimaster*
:::smacks head:::

There is more to life than a model name.

As I've said before, the purpose of the car was to be a no-frills speed machine, for little money. It seems to me Dodge has accomplished what they set out to do.

Then again, maybe it's me who is missing the boat here...

-Casey

Definitely more than just the model name. It's also the chassis, which is a front wheel drive, econobox piece of shit. Any other questions for the wise Jedi?

The Dodge Stratus is a cheapo car with HORRIBLE ratings from consumer reports (bottom of the list in quality).

Yet, given the choice, I'd wander around in a V-6 Stratus sport coupe rather than be seen in any type of Neon. Drop that Turbo motor in the Stratus, I say. It still would have been a bargain racer for people who only care about going fast.

But it also would have appealed to drivers who have a least a smiggin of dignity.

To me, the Neon with the Turbo motor and the big round spoiler is Chrysler Rice. And I am anti-rice.

Straight line race day? Bah! Neons are one of the best handling cars out there, especially with the ACR package and for even more fun, some Mopar coilovers. Hell, regular ol' grandma Neon were in SCCA's ES class back in the day. ACR and R/T models were in DS. Aren't the WRX and LGT DS nowadays?

-B

PS Who doesn't like to poop?

I'm not saying they are junk, I'm just saying they aren't the best example of automotive quality in action.

I will agree to that. Although it's not as much a piece as you'd think, it is not a good example of domestic quality by any means.

Definitely more than just the model name. It's also the chassis, which is a front wheel drive

Yes. With positraction, but still FWD.

...econobox piece of shit. Any other questions for the wise Jedi?

Yes, actually. The chassis is an econobox, but what qualifies it as a POS?

Straight line race day? Bah! Neons are one of the best handling cars out there, especially with the ACR package and for even more fun, some Mopar coilovers. Hell, regular ol' grandma Neon were in SCCA's ES class back in the day. ACR and R/T models were in DS. Aren't the WRX and LGT DS nowadays?

-B

PS Who doesn't like to poop?

The LGT is STU. The SRT-4...handle good? You're confusing this with the ACR Neon of the old....the new one ain't so hot...

PS - You like poop. Not TO poop. :lol:

Chassis? What's wrong with the chassis of a car that has done this?!

The Neon ACR has been one of the most successful grassroots racer ever, with over 20 National titles in Solo and Road Racing to its credit. We just started in Rally this year (2002), and to date, the Dodge SRT-4 has won two events on the SCCA circuit and is leading the Manufacturing Championship.

SCCA Pro Rally SRT-4 - Group 5 Class

Sno-Drift 3rd

Cherokee Trails 1st

Oregon Trail 2nd

Rim of the World 1st

The LGT is STU. The SRT-4...handle good? You're confusing this with the ACR Neon of the old....the new one ain't so hot...

PS - You like poop. Not TO poop. :lol:

STU?

Regardless, the SRT-4 handles better than expected. Quite well, in fact. I just can't get past FWD, personally....

Archived