LegacyGT.com

TurboXS DTEC - Anybody used one?

JuxtaGT

So, I've been digging around for different LCD guage options. The DTEC has me very intrigued. I'd like to know if anybody has used one, and thus has some thoughts about it's interface. I'd also like to know how the gameboy LCD fairs in sunlight, with no contrast/brightness control it has me a bit concerned. What I'm planning on doing is getting a GB and re-packaging it to fit in the cubbie (yes, that means no more Mario Kart) . My measurements thus far say the screen with buttons off to the side will fit just right. But, before I commit $600 to this experiment, I wanted to make sure the guage features themselves are as cool as they look. Also, anybody know how much memory/hours the data logger feature works with?

-Brent

Ok, LOL. Seriously though, this is the same problem with every review of this product. Noboby gets past the OMG, it's a gameboy! For my CAR! How cute!! Nobody actually seems to be REVIEWING the functionality. Bottom line to me is, it's $50 (used) for a color LCD display and user interface front end. You would be lucky to find a head rest LCD for that kind of money. Never mind that the HKS camp mated to a LCD in-dash display head unit would be a LOT more exspensive. It's not going to look like a GB when I get done with it.

So, I'm gonna ask that we forget this is a game console for bit, please.

-Brent

It's similar to my HKS CAMP... I opted not to go this route because the display is too small... I think the DTEC it's pretty much a fancy pseudo OBD-II unit without the code clearing functions. I also think you still need to get some more sensors (sold seperately just like the HKS CAMP steup as well) if you want to take full advantages of the DTEC gauge display.

Keefe

Keefe

Jarrad from PDXTuning has one in his WRX and showed me some of the stuff that it can do when they were tuning my Legacy. It looks pretty cool if it supports what you want to be able to monitor. Like you I was thinking that it might be cool to build the gameboy into a faceplate. I haven't really looked into it that much, but it looks like it could work well. The thing is I'm not sure if if can display information from more than one sensor at once. If it can't then I don't think its as useful.

From what I can tell, I don't think you can display more then one guage at a time. But, if you can scroll through them with one button, then I don't think it would be a big deal. I guess when I realized it was going to cost at least $400ish for a nice guage pack, that I should look for some other options.

Keefe, thanks for chiming in so fast. I saw the on-screen pics from your CAMP, looks hot. Can't remember if your set-up is a head-unit with a screen or a stand alone LCD? If I'm not mistaken, the CAMP unit with the junction box alone is about $500, right? Then the sensors are additional beyond that? The DTEC looks to be about $500 with all the sensors: EGT, MAP, BOOST, etc. If you don't mind me asking, how much $ do you have in the CAMP set-up with the screen and what display are you using?

-Brent

The DTEC is a very economical way to have multiple gauges in one simple package. I plan on installing one in my LGT soon, but that we have not had time to make a clean installation setup yet. If you search on NASIOC you can see when I did a review of the DTEC for my WRX wagon.

Jarrad

Jarrad,

It's nice to see a reputable tuner who thinks this is an economical and viable guage option. Do you have a link to your review? Poked around NASOIC for bit, but a search over there returns like a hundred posts at once with just the thread title and I havn't spent much time on that site. Guess I should cross-pollenate more. I read somewhere before that you were going to port your DTEC to your Legacy in a custom face-plate, any progress?

-Brent

Here is the review I did last fall when I got it installed in my WRX. I know they are going to release some new firmware for it in the near future, but I do not have a release date so I can not say for sure.

One of the best things about the DTEC is it is so versital. In the future it will be able to be run as a fuel computer, boost controller, and or timing computer. There are limitations on the number of total tasks it can perform, but as I understand it you will be able to use it as 1-2 of the previously listed devices, and it can display up to 4 different gauges.

I am planning on installing it into the cubby in the LGT with a nice pull out slider for the GBA to sit on. I would love to make a custom face for it, but I just do not have the time for that. With all the other work going into the LGT right now we have to pick our battles. Perhaps after we get the main performance modifications completed we will be able to go back and do some more custom modifications, but for now I suspect it will look like a plain old GBA sitting nicely in the cubby hole of our LGT.

Jarrad

I just bought an AEM UEGO wideband. With a user-made program, it works with the UTEC to datalog A/F and it is also a gauge that can be placed anywhere in the interior. The only drawback to the gauge is that it designed for NA applications and does not read under 11.1. The datalogging does read from 9-20 A/F however. Once I get the UTEC hooked up I will see how well the combo works together.

http://www.z1auto.com/images/aemwidebanduegowhite.jpg

Keefe, thanks for chiming in so fast. I saw the on-screen pics from your CAMP, looks hot. Can't remember if your set-up is a head-unit with a screen or a stand alone LCD? If I'm not mistaken, the CAMP unit with the junction box alone is about $500, right? Then the sensors are additional beyond that? The DTEC looks to be about $500 with all the sensors: EGT, MAP, BOOST, etc. If you don't mind me asking, how much $ do you have in the CAMP set-up with the screen and what display are you using?

-Brent

It was a standalone LCD by MattJK ($299?.. you ship him the bezel, he installs on a High Quality LCD and ships it back to you, type in "WRX LCD" on ebay for info). I bought an aftermarket headunit and placed it in the upper single-din slot where the OEM gauge pack goes for the WRX.

I bought my HKS CAMP used from a show car that never had it really fully installed. It came with all the sensors I wanted (two boost/vaccum, low temp and EGT), junction box, and brain for just under $700. I could have bought a pressure sensor, but that's not neccessary for fuel on this car and oil, well, why should I worry about oil pressure really on a stage 2 car?). So for about a $1000 in gauges, I got a really bling'in setup that can double up to displaying my http://www.chasecam.com videos, VCR/Digital recordings and PS2 games on the road. I also bought my OBD-II sensor unit for CELs and such for $150 and a headunit to replace the stock unit for $200.. so overall, at under $1400, I manage to have a pretty simple setup with a lot of amentities.. the only analog gauges I had was the boost and an electronic AFR for "show" as a narrowband is soo slow in response.

Keefe

I think the DTEC only has a few sensors, not all as it works with conjunction with the UTEC as well.

Keefe

• 3 months later...

Archived