LegacyGT.com

Toyo Proxes4 Review....

edmundu

Last Saturday, I had a set of these put on and after pulling away from the shop, I had a strange feeling.... They felt a little squirmy, Ok, I figured it's because they are new. I give them a few days and about 300 miles, and while the initial squirminess has lessened, in it's place I have noticed noticeable tire whine/humming at speed. Kind of almost sounds like being on an airplane, although more muted. But obvious nonetheless. They do appear to stick better than the re92's, and they seem softer on bumps, but since my commute is 90 miles a day, any minor noise is very tiring!

Suffice it to say, I am NOT impressed with these tires! I would actually prefer the re92 to these, at least when buying them as takeoffs. Has anyone else with these tires, experienced what I have. It doesn't matter if the surface is new, old, rough, smooth, pavement or concrete. I really thought that these tires would be a good fit for me, and in my research I hadn't come across anyone complaining about it being noisy?

Thank god, Toyo offers a 45 day/500 mile trial period in which if you are not happy you can return them. Well I am exercising this option, and after taking the advice of Tirerack, and of a fellow member I am going with the Pzero Nero M+S. I originally was going to get these, but since I was getting the Toyo's for 30% less, I figured it was worth a try, big mistake!

I just thought this might help some fellow members in making a tire decision. I know I would have appreciated it.

Once I have the Pirelli's mounted, and put a few miles on them, I'll post another thread on my opinions on them as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I replaced my RE92s with Falken Azenis ST115s and find them very satisfying. They do appear to be wearing out pretty fast though. I must admit that I drive them about as hard as any daily driving could be.

edmondu, i have the proxes 4 and i think they are a fine set of tires. i have not had any problem with them yet (running 18 inch fit) and that spells a good tire to me. they work good in the snow and great in the rain. i have done my research and the proxes 4 are very highly rated around the net, so maybe it was just your situation that led to a bad experience. understandable, of course. for those of you shopping, toyos are great, do your own research and assess your environment, base your tire needs on the roads u drive everyday. i am in northern NJ, so a great all seasoner (such as toyo, as i have experienced and read elsewhere) was needed. i will def. try out the pirelli neros after my toyos, i hear both are fine tires and close competitors.

I personally will never buy Toyo tires again. My FZ4's were crappy quality (construction wise), and were only marginally better in the rain than the Eagle RS's they replaced. Had to get one replaced due to blown sidewall. Then with significant tread life (probably had six months left in them) I had to replace all four due to serious sidewall cracking. They weren't worth the price by any stretch.

I like my Proxes 4's. I do see how the noise could bother you... on certain pavement they are a bit noisy.

But they do not tramline, their grip is good, steering response is better than the 92s, and wet grip is amazing. I like them.

That said, I wouldn't be afraid to try the PZeros.

I didn't mean to come off sounding as if Toyo's are a terrible tire. Although I did put my tread depth guage on them, and not one of them was actually 10/32"? I got all 9/32", and before anyone asks if they were used, they weren't, still have the nubs on the tread blocks.

I definitely would not use the Proxes4, but that was for the reasons I stated earlier, mostly noise. I wouldn't hesitate in trying other Toyo models, especially since they offer that trial period. I think that says alot about them as a company, and what was the ultimate reason I gave them a try. I really wanted to like the tire, but it just wasn't the right fit for me.

I personally will never buy Toyo tires again. My FZ4's were crappy quality (construction wise), and were only marginally better in the rain than the Eagle RS's they replaced. Had to get one replaced due to blown sidewall. Then with significant tread life (probably had six months left in them) I had to replace all four due to serious sidewall cracking. They were worth the price by any stretch.

Don't be too quick to count Toyo out, the Proxes 4 are a big improvement on the FZ4s...

The P4's were decent in the rain and only dismal in the snow, then again, my experience was going from a 165hp NA car to the much torqueyer (is that even a word?) GT with not much more rubber for the extra power and weight. I have 20k on mine now, but I think my brakes have almost always been able to overpower these tires with ABS easily kicking in (like twice today because people just seem to slam on the brakes from 80 down to 40 to rubberneck this morning for stuff 2 lanes over. *FURIOUS*

I am going to be replacing these tires this fall with the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (unless something better is out by then) once my summer wheels and tires come off. And man I can't wait for my wheels to arrive (tomorrow?) so I can get off the P4's and try something stickier.

Why not go with a winter oriented all season like the Nokian WR if you're using 2 sets? I have the pirellis. They are okay in snow. The Falken Ziex ZE512 I have on my wife's forester are better in snow. The pirellis are great in wet and dry. Also, the overnight flat spotting from the cold is annoying in the pirellis.

Don't be too quick to count Toyo out, the Proxes 4 are a big improvement on the FZ4s...

I won't give a company money after they've dissapointed me. Just the way I am. I'll simply walk away, and try something else.

Thanks for the feedback. I replaced my RE92s with Falken Azenis ST115s and find them very satisfying. They do appear to be wearing out pretty fast though. I must admit that I drive them about as hard as any daily driving could be.

Check tire pressures and toe alignment for such wear if you drive like a granny, otherwise, you can blame it on your leadfoot. :p

As for the road noise, that's minimal if you are getting more grip.. that's the whole point with these tires anyways. If you want to hear LOUD, get in a Lexus LS430 with a set of Advan R032s.. no matter how "sound proof" that Lexus is, the Advans will not only hum, but really sound like you are in a generator room.

I am not sure what the price difference is between the Proxes4 or Neros.. but if noise is bothering you, then I am sorry to hear that, especially if you rather go back to less grip to the RE92s just so you dont have to hear the minor hum.

Keefe

Keefe

Check tire pressures and toe alignment for such wear if you drive like a granny, otherwise, you can blame it on your leadfoot. :p

As for the road noise, that's minimal if you are getting more grip.. that's the whole point with these tires anyways. If you want to hear LOUD, get in a Lexus LS430 with a set of Advan R032s.. no matter how "sound proof" that Lexus is, the Advans will not only hum, but really sound like you are in a generator room.

I am not sure what the price difference is between the Proxes4 or Neros.. but if noise is bothering you, then I am sorry to hear that, especially if you rather go back to less grip to the RE92s just so you dont have to hear the minor hum.

Keefe

Well the noise was a big thing for me, but the Proxes were also a big disappointment in intial turn in feel. They felt very soft and spongy, when I pushed them to speeds that I did on the RE92's, they made me feel uneasy even though they were sticking? I'm not sure why exactly? But I've posted another thread on my thoughts for the Pzero's, and they are vastly superior for me, and for the qualities I value in a tire.

Well the noise was a big thing for me, but the Proxes were also a big disappointment in intial turn in feel. They felt very soft and spongy, when I pushed them to speeds that I did on the RE92's, they made me feel uneasy even though they were sticking? I'm not sure why exactly? But I've posted another thread on my thoughts for the Pzero's, and they are vastly superior for me, and for the qualities I value in a tire.

yep the Proxes 4 stick and pretty good too, deceivingly like. I tried pushing my LGT hard in corners and the tires don't squeal, squirm, or give any signs of letting go. The ride quality is different from the Bridgestones tho' and I notice every time I go from my wife's WRX and then back to my LGT.

I assume you were running stock pressures? It's very possible that generally speaking (and I dont know for sure, but at least based on the T1-S) that Toyo tires have a softer sidewall than most. The sidewall flex helps to keep the tire stuck to the ground a little bit longer (think of it as a fresh warm piece of gum that you just stepped on, but on a stickier level). There is some play in it, but you are still stuck on it.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived