LegacyGT.com

Older performance potential questions.

MDrex

I am looking at getting an older LGT, like 1997-2002. Is there an advantage to getting the newer of those years in terms of performance parts and mods?

I'd like to increase handling, drop it slightly, and increase power.

Which model is it easier to find body kits and performance parts for?

For the simple end of things, you could go my route:

16x7 RS wheels with much better tires than the RE-92's

KYB-GR2's with H&R springs (or Whiteline, or iON, your choice)

iON Performance's impending cat-back exhaust (or go header back)

Whiteline rear sway bar

COBB CAI

You're not going to keep up with a WRX with this setup, nor top out on STS in SOLO-II, but it'll be a lot of fun to drive.

Naturally, a turbo kit or WRX swap would get you in motion.

If you don't have one yet, though, you may be better off snagging a new one if you want more than stock performance. The cost will outweigh the difference quite quickly.

I already have a stage 2 WRX with lots of suspension mods, so I'm not looking for anything crazy. I ended up getting a 2000 Outback sedan, which will be used for my daily commute. I like the high suspension for the bad Baltimore city roads. I am keeping the WRX, I just want a little more power in the OB.

• 4 weeks later...
i guess its a little late now but just fyi, subaru switched from DOHC to SOHC in '00 (i'm pretty sure it was '00, some of the imprezas started getting the SOHC in the later '99 models) and they changed the legacy body style in 2000. personally i like the older ones :) but yea, letitsnow has the right idea, it'll perform like a totally different car with those few mods.

My 2000 has the SOHC engine.

Performance potential is tough on these, though, because there isn't a lot of support. In modifying a N/A SOHC 2.5, I'd probably do it in this progression:

Intake

Cat-back

Headers

High-Flow Cat (changes your SCCA Solo 2 class, you know)

Cams

Heads

Depending on when my clutch went out, I'd throw a lightweight flywheel in there as well. A reduced-weight pulley would help, but I like the secure feeling of a damper, even if a lot of people find it irrelevant.

Archived