LegacyGT.com

Chevy Cobalt SS

I was reading about the Chevy Cobalt SS.. I think I saw it ran a 14.2 according to Motor Trend. It's light and has 200 HP... and, it appears it's gearbox is nice too.. it comes with a short throw shifter stock and even reverse has a synchro. It was faster than an SRT-4 on a road course.. hm..

yeah, and it has no potential, which the SRT4 has in spades.

still wrong wheel drive though.

unless the numbers changed, the msrp on one of those pieces is around 25g's. with that money you're close to getting a 5mt LGT LTD, with awd, and all the amenities, save the key ones every one and their mom has been bitching about. not to mention another key factor - build quality...something that GM has been lacking for a while now. it also suffers the same old GM interior, aside from the recaro seats.

Actually, our powertrain guys had a prototype in the garage to do some testing on it, so I poked my head in to have a look around.. I was highly surprised at the fit, finish, and feel of the interior (except for the huge steering wheel).

However, don't touch any of the HVAC or radio controls.. cheapo city.. I even have one of the radios at my desk, since they audio guys were just throwing away headunits that they were done testing.. The buttons suck compared to our Legacy.. But it looks nice..

The engine is nice though.. The block is capable of huge horsepower numbers. Probably the best 4 banger GM has made in a long time.

If anyone pays sticker for any GM car, they're a sucker, or just not trying hard enough.

I drove one here in Charlotte at Hot Import Night along with a Saturn Ion. The performance was better than the Ion, but what does that say?

Regardless, in no way could it keep up with our cars without having serious modifications... ;)

That steering wheel is horrible....i still can't believe they are using that across the majority of models. Something is not right when you are using the same ugly wheel from everything like a minivan, cobalt, to the corevette.

Price i think will be more in line with the SRT-4, its closest competitor, or at least targeted competitor. Initial looks aren't too bad, but i suspect that interior will be the victim of many GM cars, horrible sounds, squeaks, and duribility. Glad to see the american car companies getting the idea though, its about time as they basically just stand there and watch foreign companies steal their business.

The car doesn't do much for me personally. Its a step in the right direction, but only time will tell as to how well its built.

I'll bet the key to cheap high-hp in that car will be to ditch the blower and replace it with a turbo. The engine and electronics are already set up for forced induction. Just change the method used to boost it and it'll fly.

unless the numbers changed, the msrp on one of those pieces is around 25g's. with that money you're close to getting a 5mt LGT LTD, with awd, and all the amenities, save the key ones every one and their mom has been bitching about. not to mention another key factor - build quality...something that GM has been lacking for a while now. it also suffers the same old GM interior, aside from the recaro seats.

msrp on a SRT4 is 21,195.....

I still think its wrong when you supercharge a 4 cylinder engine and you only get 200 hp out of it. The RSX and TSX are doing that without turbos or superchargers. That is just weak if you ask me. What was it before they supercharged it? They should have called it the Chevy Brick. Its only 3 or 4 hundred pounds lighter than our cars are and 2 or 3 hundred pounds heavier than an RSX Type S. Word on the street is that they are going to make a 2.4L NA version of the SS in 06. Hmmm.... Perhaps they realize that a 2 liter RSX that puts out more power than their supercharged lead sled might be too much competition for them....

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

you have to give them at least some credit....i mean after all that money they have been losing to competition, at least they have the sense to realize they need something with some power to at least compete. To think it only took them several years too....

you have to give them at least some credit....i mean after all that money they have been losing to competition, at least they have the sense to realize they need something with some power to at least compete. To think it only took them several years too....

the only thing i give GM credit, is how much they've managed to shoot themselves in the foot.

now lutz has said that they're are holding off on the zeta platform development, and focusing on their SUV and pickup truck line. so much for bringing back RWD cars....

Guest *Jedimaster*
the only thing i give GM credit, is how much they've managed to shoot themselves in the foot.

now lutz has said that they're are holding off on the zeta platform development, and focusing on their SUV and pickup truck line. so much for bringing back RWD cars....

That sucks! I was hopign to see a new Trans Am in 5 years or so when I'll be able to add one to my fleet.

That sucks! I was hopign to see a new Trans Am in 5 years or so when I'll be able to add one to my fleet.

I'm not sure a Trans Am on the Zeta platform is what we would want anyway, Jedi.

BTW, I too owned an '85 Trans Am back in high school. Tuned-port 305.

And the weird thing about it was that it redlined at 6,000rpms, whereas from '86 on the TPI 305 redlined at 5500. Did you notice this, or was yours a carb?

Those 80s TAs were so right for their time. Too bad GM got lazy and didn't have a new F-body ready for '03.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm not sure a Trans Am on the Zeta platform is what we would want anyway, Jedi.

BTW, I too owned an '85 Trans Am back in high school. Tuned-port 305.

And the weird thing about it was that it redlined at 6,000rpms, whereas from '86 on the TPI 305 redlined at 5500. Did you notice this, or was yours a carb?

Those 80s TAs were so right for their time. Too bad GM got lazy and didn't have a new F-body ready for '03.

Mine has a carb- I'm not sure where redline is- my buddy had an 85 with TPI and it also redlined at 5500.

I still think its wrong when you supercharge a 4 cylinder engine and you only get 200 hp out of it. The RSX and TSX are doing that without turbos or superchargers. That is just weak if you ask me. What was it before they supercharged it? They should have called it the Chevy Brick. Its only 3 or 4 hundred pounds lighter than our cars are and 2 or 3 hundred pounds heavier than an RSX Type S. Word on the street is that they are going to make a 2.4L NA version of the SS in 06. Hmmm.... Perhaps they realize that a 2 liter RSX that puts out more power than their supercharged lead sled might be too much competition for them....

But with forced induction, you get 200lb/ft of torque, at 4400 RPM, vs 143lb/ft of torque for the RSX which comes on at 7000 RPM (not to mention the 7800 RPM HP peak). So, by lowering the compression ratio and slapping a supercharger on it, they made an engine with more power available over the rev range, vs. a peaky Honda engine that you have to wring the crap out of.

This is what makes the Legacy so fun to drive, all that torque available down low.

I drove one here in Charlotte at Hot Import Night along with a Saturn Ion. The performance was better than the Ion, but what does that say?

Regardless, in no way could it keep up with our cars without having serious modifications... ;)

It's lighter than the Saturn Ion version.

And I wouldn't say it couldn't keep up with our cars.

The Cobalt SS wouldn't have a chance off the line, but it's posting

traps speed similiar to our LGT's stock.

So from a roll, it might hold close.

And whomever said the engine doesn't have tuning potential...well

you are so very wrong. It's a STRONG engine that holds to big HP gains.

But it's a FWD car. So like the SRT-4, you could put 400 hp to the

thing and probably not improve your 60 foot times at all.

And even with super sticky and wide front wheels/tires, you'll still be

heavily traction limited and have to deal with BIG torque steer in the

lower gears.

Mine has a carb- I'm not sure where redline is- my buddy had an 85 with TPI and it also redlined at 5500.

That is so weird. I have a picture of the dash, and my car's redline was 6000. Yellow at 5500, then red at 6. Next time my computer literate friend stops by, I'll have him scan the photo and host it if anybody's interested.

I think Pontiac dropped the power of the TPI 305 after 1985 from 205-horsepower to 190. The '86 TAs and IROCs were certainly slower. I remember knowing this as a fact back in high school, but now I can't find anything online to verify it.

It's lighter than the Saturn Ion version.

And I wouldn't say it couldn't keep up with our cars.

The Cobalt SS wouldn't have a chance off the line, but it's posting

traps speed similiar to our LGT's stock.

So from a roll, it might hold close.

And whomever said the engine doesn't have tuning potential...well

you are so very wrong. It's a STRONG engine that holds to big HP gains.

But it's a FWD car. So like the SRT-4, you could put 400 hp to the

thing and probably not improve your 60 foot times at all.

And even with super sticky and wide front wheels/tires, you'll still be

heavily traction limited and have to deal with BIG torque steer in the

lower gears.

the ion guys shortly bitched that GM used them as guinea pigs for the cobalt ss. the cobalt and the ss are almost mechanically the same....except the cobalt ss uses a different transmission...some had suspected they changed trannies due to problems some ion redline owners were experiencing....

Guest *Jedimaster*
That is so weird. I have a picture of the dash, and my car's redline was 6000. Yellow at 5500, then red at 6. Next time my computer literate friend stops by, I'll have him scan the photo and host it if anybody's interested.

I think Pontiac dropped the power of the TPI 305 after 1985 from 205-horsepower to 190. The '86 TAs and IROCs were certainly slower. I remember knowing this as a fact back in high school, but now I can't find anything online to verify it.

I could be wrong, but in 87 I think they were rated at 210 for the 305 and 230 for the 350. Not sure about 86 although I know there were some weird changes for the T/A's that year, but not for the Camaro. Damn, this is making me want to get my car out- I haven't driven it since 2000.

Archived