LegacyGT.com

signs of a locked ecu?

bdickey058

i was wondering what the signs of a locked ecu are. I cant get my ap to work b/c it wont communicate with the vehicle or go into test mode. and i have had a tuner try to get into it and nothing is working. Was wondering how i would know if the ecu was locked. cobb tuning have any input on this?

If the AccessPORT won't install and you can't get ECU flash to even work then it's not a previous AccessPORT install. An AccessPORT will just overwrite an old AccessPORT install. ECUTek is a good guess. Some of the older ECUTek flashes would more or less "lock" the ECU. However, if it is not going into test mode, then you would not be able to flash your car anyway since it HAS to be in test mode to do a flash, so. You have connected the green connectors... Have you looked for a second set? Some cars have two sets of connectors under the dash.

Travis

COBB Tuning

• 7 years later...
If the AccessPORT won't install and you can't get ECU flash to even work then it's not a previous AccessPORT install. An AccessPORT will just overwrite an old AccessPORT install. ECUTek is a good guess. Some of the older ECUTek flashes would more or less "lock" the ECU. However, if it is not going into test mode, then you would not be able to flash your car anyway since it HAS to be in test mode to do a flash, so. You have connected the green connectors... Have you looked for a second set? Some cars have two sets of connectors under the dash.

Travis

COBB Tuning

So this only answers 1/2 of the question. The flashing part. The test connectors do not need to be connected in order to log data (via RomRaider) or look at live streams of data (via FreeSSm)

I cant get my ap to work b/c it wont communicate with the vehicle or go into test mode.

I realize this question involves the AP. But you don't drive around with the AP AND the test connectors ... connected. They are for reading and flashing. When you connect up for driving data or gauges on the AP, the AP (or other software) should recognize the ECU as "something".

The 1st part of the above question seems to saying there is no recognition to begin with.

I am having a similar issue with a highly modified Fozzy XT. It's is pretty cobbled up. Huge Garret, plugs and hoses all over that I have to back trace and see what is, or isn't correct. However, I can't get either RR or FreeSSm to recognize a connection. I have used a Vag-Com and a Tactrix. I am going to make a second attempt within a week or so. The car isn't mine, I'm just the wrench.

The owner linked me this thread. He thought we had found an easy fix. I am looking for input, I am running blind with this thing if I cannot log data.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

Hmm, if the car is not going into test mode that is your issue, gotta figure out why.

As cobb stated, on some vehicles there are two sets of connectors. If both are unplugged or only one is plugged in it will not enter test mode.

For the fxt the second set are behind the pass kick panel.

Traildogck - check that and respond back

Bdickey - not 100% sure on your end as i dont recall the lgt having two sets so i would question your obd2 port,grounds and then the potential of it being locked with a older ecutek as cobb mentioned if the ap and opensource will not communicate

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Hmm, if the car is not going into test mode that is your issue, gotta figure out why.

As cobb stated, on some vehicles there are two sets of connectors. If both are unplugged or only one is plugged in it will not enter test mode.

For the fxt the second set are behind the pass kick panel.

Traildogck - check that and respond back

Dave

Again, I did not try test mode on this car, I am not there yet. You don't need test mode to log RR or use FreeSSm. There is no need for flashing if you can't connect to log or stream data.

I have a Buddy with a WRX he just bought, he can log it no issue...but can't flash. That's not what I am dealing with, at least not yet.

Every other Subaru I have wrenched. If you plug in either one of those programs with a Vag-com (RR tactrix works) they car hooks right up. You get a ROM ID, a list of available parameters and bingo.

This one...It's like the cable ins't plugged into a car. (BTW, I check the connection and com ports on the laptop several times)

That's weird,

I probably should have known that. You are close. I usually don't need any help, maybe I'll stop by sometime to check the place out. I like Denver for the fact there is a decent amount of Subaru talent.

Chris

When I get a hold of the car again will try an connect to log. I really do not think it was a simple cable or mechanical issue. I am not a noobe at this, but for the sake of completely ruling it.

Archived