LegacyGT.com

Supercharged Rx-8!

I still contend that a Wankel rotary has a place. In a light weight street/track sports car, that is only used on weekends and dry weather. Fill the gas and oil tanks before starting the engine, then let 'er rip. I am thinking something reminiscent of a 50's torpedo-shaped open wheel racer. Ferrari 156 F1, or a maserati 250 F kind of thing.

Less torque is less noticeable with only 1800lbs or so. And 9k RPMS would be a blast in something like that.

As for a street car, the drawbacks are pretty serious for a car with that level of power, and the practical aspects of less torque and oil and fuel consumption.

As for the static compression, the rotors are probably relieved a bit to lower the static compression on the forced induction engines.

I would think a turbo would do better with a rotary than a supercharger. There is a lot of heat in the exhaust to suit an impeller, where as the supercharger drags on the driveline directly, and not as efficient option. The parasitic drag would cut into any power addition.

Didn't the FD RX7 get similar mpg to the RX8? yet the RX8's power rating is only relatively slightly lower than the FD turbo (stock for stock) It will be interesting to see how much power they can get out of a pressurized renesis, just from a technical standpoint.

Just another way to blow an apex seal. Isn't this car already has a 10.5:1 compression ratio? How much more boost can you possibly add on a stock rotory like that??

Keefe

It is a 10.0:1 Compression ratio. One of two things will happen: 1. They lower the compression ratio to allow for the SC. 2. They direct inject it like the MS6 and can maintain that compression ratio.

The is an 8 that was out of Mazda research and development. I am sure they are testing both SC and TC versions. The SC'd 8 that's in the pic is 270bhp.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Didn't the FD RX7 get similar mpg to the RX8? yet the RX8's power rating is only relatively slightly lower than the FD turbo (stock for stock) It will be interesting to see how much power they can get out of a pressurized renesis, just from a technical standpoint.

The point behind the renesis was to obtain similar stock power as the 7's without the turbos and get better MPG. The MPG on the 7 is worse than the 8. The 8 gets around 18/25mpg.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Not a fan of the styling of that 8 in the first post.

Direct injected rotary with a Turbocharger (I still think it is a better solution than supercharging, even though they are probably thinking supercharging for torque production...)

well over 300hp, smallish size, and turbine smooth to 9000RPM... that sounds like a whole lot of fun. now just to source a sequential manual trans capable of that sort of rotation, in an open wheel monocoque chassis car, and a lot of track time...

Perhaps put it in a car like this...

http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=2003_gm_belly_tank_lakester-1.jpg

Or a modernized version of this...

http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=1954_maserati_250f-1.jpg

Not a fan of the styling of that 8 in the first post.

Direct injected rotary with a Turbocharger (I still think it is a better solution than supercharging, even though they are probably thinking supercharging for torque production...)

well over 300hp, smallish size, and turbine smooth to 9000RPM... that sounds like a whole lot of fun. now just to source a sequential manual trans capable of that sort of rotation, in an open wheel monocoque chassis car, and a lot of track time...

Perhaps put it in a car like this...

http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=2003_gm_belly_tank_lakester-1.jpg

Or a modernized version of this...

http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?pic=1954_maserati_250f-1.jpg

Kind of like this, eh? Twin Hayabusa engined Ultima GTR:

http://www.zcars.org.uk/library/images/image_ultima4-00000508.jpg

That is a hell of a beast. Ultimas are just monsters. I have to say that I think I like Nobles and TVRs a bit better, styling wise, though.

There is a caterham in england that isn't twin-engined, but rather has two yamaha R1 cylinder blocks on a common crankcase. 2 liter v8 with 8 carb throats, and well more than 100 hp per liter, and a redline well north of 12000 rpm.

There are lots of fun forms of motorsport that are truly unsuited for everyday road use.

I was just thinking earlier, that a round pineapple of an engine would fit nicely in a torpedo shaped open wheel car. Something stylistically like the 50's Maserati race car, and mechanicals like a new Ariel Atom. Kinda like Gordon Murray's Rocket. Modernized old school F1 for the street and track.

I think a rotary would make a great power plant for that, front or mid engined, and possibly even 2 seats. just boiled-down pure performance. Like a Motorcycle on 4 wheels and over 300 horsepower. MotoGP bikes have a hard time putting down 200. 2 wider driven tires would be better for a pressurized rotary.

Perhaps even with some of these new 200 aspect rear motorcycle profile tires, and a little bit of designed in lean to the suspension, like a bike. Aprilia design recently did something similar with a three wheeler with two front wheels, and a sitting position in a "bike".

The possibilites....

Archived