LegacyGT.com

Clutch Chatter Shudder

jasondaven

I have a 05 that I recently put a ACT HD and the 06 WRX fly. I have quite a bit of chattering/ shudering coming up in 1st gear under load. There is a bit of rattling associated with the shudder. I have seen that some members have had simalr problems. Does this issue usually work itself out?

Whats strange is when the vehicle is cold the clutch pedal seems a bit softer and the car shifts like butter and comes into 1st without any problems. When the car warms up the pedal gets a bit firmer and I have the shuddering with some minor resistance in 2nd.

I have been searching posts here with regards to this problem. I have probabllly 3-400 mile of breakin on the clutch. I really noticed the rattle after soft launch the other day. Besides the shudder in 1st the clutch feels good in every other gear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If this problem acnt be sorted out I guess I will have to go baack to the DMFW... Ugh.....

I don't have the same setup as you, but I did have a clutch/flywheel replacement and I had quite bit of chatter for the first 1000 miles or so. Now my clutch is beautiful.

I never had shudder, so I can't comment there. The chatter should work itself out though. The ACT HD + WRX FW is a popular choice because of the lack of chatter usually. Good luck!

I have the ACT HD with a wrx flywheel and I have shuddering and chatter all the time. It worried me when I first got the car (clutch and flywheel was put in by last owner) and its never gone away. Usually with the radio on you don't hear it at all.

I have the ACT HD with a wrx flywheel and I have shuddering and chatter all the time. It worried me when I first got the car (clutch and flywheel was put in by last owner) and its never gone away. Usually with the radio on you don't hear it at all.

I have the same set up too, and it does give a bit of chatter on decel but I'm used to it.

The fact that this set up is so superior (initial bite, overall feel, etc) to the OEM 2005 clutch and FW set up that came with the car new makes me put up with it.

It is only really noisy when I have the windows down though...

It does get somewhat noisier for me after a long trip, like over an hour.

• 8 months later...
I recently had a new clutch installed and have a similar issue. When cold there is no shudder or problems with the clutch release. Once it warms up it can shudder very badly. Due to failed crank shaft bearings the shop ended up replacing my bottom end with a used bottom end. This shudder did not occur until after the replacement of clutch and bottom end. I don't think the flywheel is true or that there is an issue with the new clutch. Any thoughts?

I had my Spec2+ clutch installed back 70,000+ miles ago it would chatter sometimes in first gear when letting the clutch out. It typically happens on a damp day.

I have learned to put the tranny in netural and slide step the clutch pedal, let it slam to the top. That normally fix's it.

You can do this while the car is moving.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had the ACT HD clutch in my Acura. It chattered all the time. The install was very thoroughly done, so I know that was not the issue. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but I believe it is the dual friction material wearing at a different rate or glazing.

If I would drive the car really hard, the chatter would go away for a while, but then come back. I would never put an ACT HD clutch in a street car again.

I just picked my car up today and had ACT HD clutch & 07 lgt flywheel put in (which im told is pretty much identical to wrx flywheel) and noticed no chatter today on about half a tank of gas. The feel of this is leagues better than stock. Its the first "fresh" clutch ive ever driven on and im blown away by how much better the car feels.

As for chatter, nothing initially, but I'll find out if it starts to make any in the near future.

Archived