LegacyGT.com

New lgt owner, first mods?

one thing i just thought of, i want a car that can run on most beaters out there but im also needing a car that can bust snow without a doubt. would doing these tunes and mods affect its performance for the worse in snow and shitty weather

Snow driving would be all about how heavy footed you are on the gas. If you stomp on the gas on the snow, you're going to have issues, but if you drive intelligently, the AWD system will do what its supposed to do and make life easier on you.

And for etuning, all you have to do is know how to click a mouse and plug in a plug. Its pretty straight forward.

It's cool; I'm with the band

Agree! Having AWD is plus, but like 4WD it is not a replacement for common sense and some practicing with some slippery situations. A man's got to know his (car's) limitations.

Mechanical mods require wrenching skills/tools/facilities. I do a little and let mechanics handle the tougher stuff.

E-tuning, as stated, is pretty easy....esp. if I can do it. A little software and a little hardware, and order of operations...

Good luck! and search/read the rich history and details in this forum.

i just realized hes in socal and im east coast... i dont see this being a match made in heaven. long distance relationships are not my cup of tea. there is a shop near me though that specializes in subarus called Area 1320, anyone ever hear of them?

I don't have personal experience, but I've heard Area1320 doesn't have the best reputation. Check out nasioc.com and look through their tri-state forum for some reviews. I have a bunch of friends that make the trek out to York, PA to go to CBRD which apparently is a much better shop.

***As I said, I don't have any personal experience, maybe go to each of them and check out their place, talk to the guys, see who you like better.

i mean is an etune not as accurate as a shop dyno? and would a downpipe be necessary at this point to get the most from the tune

I'll let someone else respond regarding the benefit of etune vs protune...

But to answer your second question.

Stage 1 = JUST a tune (stage 1 tune), either the accessport, or etune or protune

Stage 2 = Downpipe and 'stage2' tune.... some incorporate a hi-flow up pipe into their stage 2.

The tunes for stage 1 and 2 are different...so if you go with an etune or a protune, you'll have to get two different tunes after you decide to add the downpipe....Cobb's Accessport has both stage 1 and stage 2 maps (tunes) on there, but those are said to be slightly less quality than a real tuners tune... if that makes sense.

makes perfect sense and thats what i kind of assumed, i figured you cant really dial in the nuances without hands on time. but im guessing a stage 1 would be good to go through an etune since im not swapping parts and components yet?

I would say you're safe with that mentality.

I have also heard infamous stage 1's are PRISTINE, so once I get my catless Up pipe installed (dont worry, you're 2008 you dont need to consider this)..I'm going stage 1 from infamous1

Still contemplating stage 2 right away... not sure if I can talk the wife into a $400 pipe though lol

i found 1 "review" on that forum, couldnt get much else. what have you heard about 1320?

I really don't recall details regarding both shops... I have heard that CBRD was better... I just don't know from experience, so please take it with a grain of salt... for all I know, Area1320 is brilliant... and I surely don't want to be the one to bash their name publicly...

(I will say that I bought my car from the german dealer right down the street from Area1320 and they had some SICK looking STI's and WRX's out front... I'm sure you probably wont go wrong with any of the shops...Especially for something relatively easy, stage 1...2...)

i just realized hes in socal and im east coast... i dont see this being a match made in heaven. long distance relationships are not my cup of tea. there is a shop near me though that specializes in subarus called Area 1320, anyone ever hear of them?

Because tuners have to be local? You would rather trust a local than the #1 legacy tuner? If you say so.

these banjo bolt filters, been researching but cant find a non skewed answer what are they how do i take them out what are the repercussions for removing and do i replace them with something else?

Just remove them. (You change your oil right? As long as you stay on that, no chunks of anything are going to go through your turbo, and even if they do, i'd rather chunky oil go through my turbo than NO oil!!!)

but im no wrench, pretty noobish actually never worked on a car in my life. how good do i need to be under the hood to do shit like that through emails and logging myself

If you have never worked on a car in your life now is a good time to learn. I already told you to go on ROMRAIDER and try reading in the TUNING forum. Stop asking so many questions and start researching more. If you are afraid to learn to log or reflash your car you should reconsider modifying your car.

Totally okay to be noobish. Very foolish to dump your car at a shop with some $$ and hope for the best without any way to knowing for yourself. If you are really afraid... FIND A LOCAL TO HELP TEACH YOU!!!! I DID (THANKS AGAIN MSprank!)

EDIT: FWIW I carry my tunes on a thumb drive on my keychain and keep my obd to usb cable (vagcom in my case) in my glove compartment. Other than the laptop (which I don't leave in the car for obvious reasons) which I need to reflash, it feels really good that if I ever need to reflash I can do so without need to contact my tuner (local OR not).

New Legacy GT owner here as well. We just bought an 08 GT that is my wife's daily driver and our comfortable travel car. We took the car out to a local autocross this weekend and as a result I have a few things to add/comment on for this thread.

1. Tires. the Bridgestone RE-92s that came with the car are GARBAGE. get rid of them and at least put better all-seasons on the car. Better yet, buy a 2nd set of wheels and put good summer tires on them. use the RE-92s up over the winter and then use the stock wheels for proper snow tires.

2. Shock Absorbers. The lack of control of body motion on these cars in stock form is ridiculous for a car that claims to be a sport sedan. I'd strongly suggest putting better shocks (Bilsteins or Koni sports) on the car. If you'd like it lower throw a set of springs on it as well, but that's not necessary.

These two modifications should be able to take care of all the issues that pretty much every car magazine had with the car (overly soft hangling, poor braking compared to its competition). The shocks should be able to be done for about $1000 installed ($600 in parts give or take a bit), and a new set of tires should be about $600. That should leave the O.P. enough money to do a little bit of tuning if he desires, and leave him with a much better performing car.

If you have never worked on a car in your life now is a good time to learn. I already told you to go on ROMRAIDER and try reading in the TUNING forum. Stop asking so many questions and start researching more. If you are afraid to learn to log or reflash your car you should reconsider modifying your car.

Totally okay to be noobish. Very foolish to dump your car at a shop with some $$ and hope for the best without any way to knowing for yourself. If you are really afraid... FIND A LOCAL TO HELP TEACH YOU!!!! I DID (THANKS AGAIN MSprank!)

im a hands on learner reading and researching just gives me questions to ask, i do need someone local to show me what to do or im a lost puppy

• 2 weeks later...

If you are local to area1320 you should just stop in and get a feel for what they do. Same with any shop if you are that near and then ask for refrences from people who have had substantial work done by them. Oh and if you do wave hi to my bugeye lol.

I personally use them and have for years for all my work (My 02 WRX, my fiancee's 2.5rs, her previous Leg GT and my mothers 06 Legacy). When it comes to the more normal crap I don't want to bug them with (wheel bearings, allignment etc...) I head to a place called Weddes in Bath, pa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived